Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

We got the shaft by not getting SAYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry We got the shaft by not getting SAYC

As some of you may know, I was lucky enough to get an Left hand drive Evo 6.5 TME and I will say that the USDM market got shafted by not getting AYC.

Driving impressions:

The USDM Evo VIII is a great car and handles beautifully by doing everything that you ask it to. Go in to a corner hot, trail brake, rotate the car, find the apex and power out by feathering the throttle modulating understeer and oversteer. You can run the VIII very fast in and out of corners....but take the same road course in the 6.5 and you will be dissapointed.

The AYC is simply amazing!!! Go into a corner hot, brake and then get on the gas....that's it. The car holds the line so tight that you have to steer away from the inside of the corner. The ACD makes it feels like a RWD car but you can put all of the power down in the corner w/o having to worry about excessive oversteer. You can throw the car into just about any corner and the ACD and AYC will pull you out. It just kills corners!

If you are a purist you will hate the AYC because it does everything for you but if you want to go damn fast in any corner you would love it. It is a true point and shoot car. If you can see the apex just steer the car there and give it some gas, the AYC will do the rest for you.

Overall Opinion:

The next logical question is "which do you perfer?" Well that is tough to answer. The VIII is a much better daily driver and is much more "supple". All of the wussies that complain that the VIII has a harsh ride should never look at a 6.5 TME. No sound deading, stiff springs, loud exhaust, an uber stiff chasis and a lack of creature comforts (granted the auto climate control is nice ) make for an entusiest's car and not a blvd cruiser. I love to take the VIII on the track and make it do what I want it to do.

The 6.5 TME just does every better on the track. I can see why they never brought it over to the states because I am sure that no one would have paid 40k+ for a car that is so rough around the edges. But what it can do performance wise the car is great. The JDM Tommi Makinen seats are awesome and the bottom of the seat pulls out for a crotch strap (that's right folks you can run a 5pt harness on the stock seats!).

Conclusion:

If you are learning to go fast the AYC is a terrible because it does everything for you. It will let you get away with a lot of bad habbits, but if you know how to go fast but want to go faster the AYC is perfect.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you comment on the anti-lag provisions? Perhaps take some pics of the bay? Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

I thought the TME only had AYC, no ACD. Thats what it says in the Evo 7 buyers guide. It says that AYC without the ACD or vice versa is not ideal. If you want the whole enchilada you need both.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

MaxR - The 6.5 TME came with ACD and AYC, I can't comment on the VI GSR as I don't know enough to make a blanket statement.

EVOla Virus - I can get snaps for you but I have the anti-lag disabled on mine to keep from killing the turbo. I have been contemplating hooking it back up to see how much quicker it will spool the slugish 20G though. (full spool at 4.5k)
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could dougnut easier with AYC. lol

I wonder how much more the evo will cost if they put AYC in there.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

The cost of the AYC would be a fuel tank with a max capacity of 9 gallons. It was interesting driving the TME 1000 miles to Virginia and having to stop every two hours for gas for a 16hr drive it added about 2 hrs in stops.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I always thought that the VII was the first to have ACD.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

That's why you need to upgrade your brain and get "human-AYC"
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I just did some hunting on google and a couple of links said that the VII was the first to have ACD and some said that the VI TME had a center diff that was electronically controlled (maybe it didn't go by ACD at the time). Also, looking at the FSM that I got for the VI TME it shows the center diff controller and a AYC controller...interesting :shrug: I dunno?

Also, when installing the SAFC-II there were pinouts for the wheel speed sensors for the center diff and AYC.

I really don't know the hard facts, maybe someone can enlighten me? I will shoot over to Lancer-register.net to get the skinny
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nrcooled
I just did some hunting on google and a couple of links said that the VII was the first to have ACD and some said that the VI TME had a center diff that was electronically controlled (maybe it didn't go by ACD at the time). Also, looking at the FSM that I got for the VI TME it shows the center diff controller and a AYC controller...interesting :shrug: I dunno?

Also, when installing the SAFC-II there were pinouts for the wheel speed sensors for the center diff and AYC.

I really don't know the hard facts, maybe someone can enlighten me? I will shoot over to Lancer-register.net to get the skinny
Do you have any center diff controls inside the cabin?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

There are no cockpit controls for the center diff. Did the VII even have the cockpit controls?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

The VII was the first with ACD as far as I know... with cockpit controls, exactly as they are in the US MR.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

There are no cockpit controls for the center diff. Did the VII even have the cockpit controls?
If you dont have cockpit controls than that would suggest you don't have an active diff.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 01:10 PM

In my opinion I think one day Mitsu would bring AYC over to the states....Just a little over a year and a half ago people were complaining about not having ACD....Look we got ACD now. I know that's the reason I am keeping my 03 EVO and not trading it for the 05 model. I am starting to save now for the evo with the total package.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

As some of you may know, I was lucky enough to get an Left hand drive Evo 6.5 TME and I will say that the USDM market got shafted by not getting AYC.

Driving impressions:

The USDM Evo VIII is a great car and handles beautifully by doing everything that you ask it to. Go in to a corner hot, trail brake, rotate the car, find the apex and power out by feathering the throttle modulating understeer and oversteer. You can run the VIII very fast in and out of corners....but take the same road course in the 6.5 and you will be dissapointed.

The AYC is simply amazing!!! Go into a corner hot, brake and then get on the gas....that's it. The car holds the line so tight that you have to steer away from the inside of the corner. The ACD makes it feels like a RWD car but you can put all of the power down in the corner w/o having to worry about excessive oversteer. You can throw the car into just about any corner and the ACD and AYC will pull you out. It just kills corners!

If you are a purist you will hate the AYC because it does everything for you but if you want to go damn fast in any corner you would love it. It is a true point and shoot car. If you can see the apex just steer the car there and give it some gas, the AYC will do the rest for you.

Overall Opinion:

The next logical question is "which do you perfer?" Well that is tough to answer. The VIII is a much better daily driver and is much more "supple". All of the wussies that complain that the VIII has a harsh ride should never look at a 6.5 TME. No sound deading, stiff springs, loud exhaust, an uber stiff chasis and a lack of creature comforts (granted the auto climate control is nice ) make for an entusiest's car and not a blvd cruiser. I love to take the VIII on the track and make it do what I want it to do.

The 6.5 TME just does every better on the track. I can see why they never brought it over to the states because I am sure that no one would have paid 40k+ for a car that is so rough around the edges. But what it can do performance wise the car is great. The JDM Tommi Makinen seats are awesome and the bottom of the seat pulls out for a crotch strap (that's right folks you can run a 5pt harness on the stock seats!).

Conclusion:

If you are learning to go fast the AYC is a terrible because it does everything for you. It will let you get away with a lot of bad habbits, but if you know how to go fast but want to go faster the AYC is perfect.
[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jay%20Toussaint/Desktop/Untitled-1%20copy.jpg[/img]

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jay%20Toussaint/Desktop/Untitled-2%20copy.jpg[/img]

I disagree with your statement as to AYC alone makes the EVO fast in turns. I can honestly tell you that the MR that you see above entered the last turn at Limerock doing 95 mph at turn in, through the apex and the corner exit. The throttle was floored at turn in. True testament is the Ultima GTR being rolled on where the MR never had to brake before entering the turn. The MR never understeered. Without AYC the MR is truely has point and shoot as it gets. I actually believe that ACD and the LSD has a lot more to do with it. AYC is butter on top but not necessarily needed in that instance and I believe that mitsu did a good job tuning the USDM suspension without AYC.

Quick Reply: We got the shaft by not getting SAYC