Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all this drivetrain talk, the car should be able to handle a good amount of abuse. I know that adding more hp can add problems, but this car off the lot is suppose to run 0-60 in 4.6 and 1/4 in 13.2. I can't imagine how hard those guys are launching it. I have already called other mitsu dealers today since I was told that this morning and even told them about the different acts that you guys posted. They all say that none of that matters. They legally have the right to say anything "and quoting what a lead service guy of mitsu dealer, an aftermarket vac line could void your warranty. Anything can and WILL void your warranty."
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
scare tactics.... legally they can say whatever they want because legally it doesn't mean **** in regards to voiding your warranty unless it'll hold up in court in front of a judge... local tv sations have those consumer advocate reporters that eat this stuff up as well
Old Dec 7, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you would have to use the scare tactics back that they use, its called BS, if you have a legitimate claim then tell them to talk to your lawyer about it, but be ready to get one or use the one you have. Burden of proof is on Mitsu I believe for any warranty denial in court that is. It going to be a bumpy road though..
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by FresnoEVO
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Last time i checked mitsu dealers still weren't able to rewrite federal laws
How does the epa come into play? I looked at there web site and could not find a referance?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I come out on Greg's side of reasoning on this whole issue, if you're going to play then you have to pay but there has to be some type of reasonable way of looking at this from both sides. Although I do find it rather humourous that if it's true that Mitsu is really cracking down on this then why promote the car the way that they do. I mean look at the options they offer themselves, (dive planes, grounding kits, brake cooling guides, strut braces, etc.) all of that stuff just invites more modifications. If they were smart they would just go all out like Toyota does with Scion and offer lowering packages, etc. then they could probably avoid all of this but with the way that they're going they won't......

Russ J.

Originally Posted by Greg K
no thanks, I get paid a lot better engineering airplanes.

as far as changing contacts go, read your warranty booklet and see what it says about aftermarket parts. That is the contract you agreed to.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with what Greg is saying on this, but i'd hate to speak too soon and be one of the people that have claimed to be stock, not launch, and still have their warranty voided.

Yes, it sucks to have this conflict of constantly wanting to mod and launch but also trying to stay stock and keep the warranty intact but you have to grow up and be willing to accept the outcome of your own actions and the simple fact that more power = more stress on the drive train. Luckily Mitsu gave us a car that can do so much more then 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and a 13.1 1/4. I knew this long before I decided on this car.

Still, I would hope that dealers would at least inspect any warranty claim and prove that it was in fact caused by abuse and not a factory defect. It's really hard to believe that this many clutches have been defective though.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:19 AM
Account Disabled

!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!

I love my Evo. I love the power and I bought this car to do upgrade to it. I don't beat on my car and I specially don't ever ever ever launch the car. I like to know that I have the power and I just like to know it's there incase a Lambo. tries to show off. Hahahaa but anyway, I take super care of my car and if Mitsu even tries to pull any little $hit on me I swear to you guys and this is no joke....I will freaking make Mitsu go out of business. First of all I want them to prove that my part was the cause of the car breaking down and since when does a better part break a car down anyway. After market parts sometimes are much better then stock. Think about it bigger intercooler and air intake and exhaust, that betters the car man........ etc....

I have a family member that works for Channel 5 news and I can use him at any time I want. We put one Chrysler dealer out of business for the same $hit one time. This Chrysler dealer sold my mom a car that was in an accident, but they fixed it really well. They way we found out that the car was hit we have one of our friends that work in a body shop and he noticed something.....etc But within 24hours all the news stations in Chicago where on that dealer..... Guess what? one month later they closed down.

Imagine if Mitsu makes it on TV that they are lying about their warranty to people. Can you imagine if all the Evo owner accross the country start doing that.....Mitsu would be happy if anyone would take their cars for free after that....

I swear guys if Mitsu dare to Fck with me they are going out of Business. I will not stop untill every dealer in Illinois is closed down. I hate these mother Fckers....
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Perhaps we need to have someone post the text in the warranty book that states the conditions unwhich the warrany can be voided. All I can find is that abuse isn't coverered nor are other than Mitsubishi, Mitsubishi approved parts or cusomer modifications.

Racing is abuse and is specifically mentioned throughout the document. So called "aftermarket parts" (a term that I take to mean other than Mitsubishi approved) is not direcly or indirectly mentioned as cause for voiding the warranty in total. Other than genuine Mitsubishi parts or Mitsubishii approved aparts are simply not covered. Please pardon my senility if this thread isn't about Mitsu voiding warrantys rather than denying specific claims.

As for the law concerning the EPA regulations. This is the separate section on emmissions warranty. It is still up to each State to define consumer rights under sales contracts.

Now, on to what Mitsubishi can and cannot do. All warranty claims are subject to the manufacturers determination. They can deny a claim based on their assement of cause for a specific failure. The implied contract is that what they sell must meet the ordinary needs of the consumer who purchases the product. The product must be safe and sutiable for its intended usage. This is where design flaws come into play. Most of these are taken care of by recalls.

If you race your car or increase your cars power output beyond initial engineered limits you are SOL. If you repalce a consumable part with a nonapproved part and that part is not causal for a failure then the part is not causal for denying a warranty claim. The consumer may have to seek arbitration in this area.

The bottom line is that Mitsu can not, under the law, change the terms of your contract with them.

I do not engineer anything beyond my 1947 Lionel Train nor am I a lawyer but I do teach political science. My background in contract law derives from my real experiences and study in CA Real Estate Law and from court experiences as a service manager in a job shop. Not to mention several personal encounters with Mitsubishi warranty work on the four Mitsus I own or have owned.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

if you guys hate mitsubishi so much why do you still own the evo?

if you want to mod it take the risk

i keep my stock

its' good enuf for street
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cet_euro
!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!

I love my Evo. I love the power and I bought this car to do upgrade to it. I don't beat on my car and I specially don't ever ever ever launch the car. I like to know that I have the power and I just like to know it's there incase a Lambo. tries to show off. Hahahaa but anyway, I take super care of my car and if Mitsu even tries to pull any little $hit on me I swear to you guys and this is no joke....I will freaking make Mitsu go out of business. First of all I want them to prove that my part was the cause of the car breaking down and since when does a better part break a car down anyway. After market parts sometimes are much better then stock. Think about it bigger intercooler and air intake and exhaust, that betters the car man........ etc....

I have a family member that works for Channel 5 news and I can use him at any time I want. We put one Chrysler dealer out of business for the same $hit one time. This Chrysler dealer sold my mom a car that was in an accident, but they fixed it really well. They way we found out that the car was hit we have one of our friends that work in a body shop and he noticed something.....etc But within 24hours all the news stations in Chicago where on that dealer..... Guess what? one month later they closed down.

Imagine if Mitsu makes it on TV that they are lying about their warranty to people. Can you imagine if all the Evo owner accross the country start doing that.....Mitsu would be happy if anyone would take their cars for free after that....

I swear guys if Mitsu dare to Fck with me they are going out of Business. I will not stop untill every dealer in Illinois is closed down. I hate these mother Fckers....
Dude, what the heck are you waiting for if you got that connection.

I'm probably sure it'll just be a matter of time. And I luv to see what you can do

If you know please tell me some mod friendly dealers in chicago area who knows you and of the consequences that they can get if they don't honor warranty truthfully.

Last edited by GOKOU; Dec 15, 2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cet_euro
!!!!!! ATTENTION !!!!!!!

hahaha, this is hilarious .
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

What I am going to do.... is I am going to go around a couple of dealers and sit down with the service manager. I am going to get a rep also to be there and I will bring up some warranty issues. I sold cars for Volvo and Toyota before and I had my share of battles before with reps. They are cool as long as they are notified ahead of time and also if your modds are done by a shop that the dealer knows or a shop that has a good rep.... For example one of my friends had work done on his car by AMS and he tols the dealer what he has done to the car. I swear the service manager looks away all the time. He actually thinks that it looks good. I am telling you all, be carefull and smart when you approach the service manager. Get in a meeting with the service manager and tell him what you have in mind. Explain to him that you are actually making the car better by putting on aftermarket things. You will be shocked sometimes but what they say but sometimes they are just a$$holes and then just go to a different dealer.

I will keep you guys up to date with some of the info I get back from dealers ok? you can e-mail and I will let you know which dealers and who to talk too.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

IF by any chance these guys don't want to help us out AT ALL..... then I am going to get the news on their a$$...... What I would like in return is for all the Evo owners to show up at that dealer where the news is going to be and we can make Mitsu regret their decision about fcking us up....

Let me tell you one thing... these news people they are dying for a good story, and they would do anything to publish this story. You know how the media is when they want to make a company look bad...... They will put countries out of business and kill people and anarchy baby!!!! We will strike back at these money hungry A$$holes.......
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is needed is a class action lawsuit, for the record, all i have on my car is an intake, a turbo timer, and planning on exhaust. i don't intend to mess w/ turbo, ecu etc. but if mitsu voids my warranty for that, i'll be pissed. never had those prob lems w/ honda or chevy before.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Hey can you all read what I said....... If these fckers start voiding warranties they will be fcking sorry. I have the news in one had and a $hit of lawyers in my family. Is no joke people. I will severely fck them up. I think after we are done with them. They will never be in business in this part of the world ever again.

It's not fair for Mitsu to start voiding warranties because they feel like it, or because those Fcking Japs say so. If they build a good quality fcking car stand behind it. Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, even fcking Pontiac man and Ford stand behind their product and then Mitsu fcks us up? No way am I going to take this $hit. Fck Japan and their product then. I will build a case with BBB and I will let you all know the case file and then you can all register and state your complains. That should rock Mitsu........

Pontiac is making commercials that they are modd frendly and ford is making the same statement also. Not only that, but BMW, Volvo and Mercedes actually let people do things to their cars and many times they help them out with either installing the parts or telling them their point of view. I know this for a fact because I still have all my friends at the dealers...

Last edited by cet_euro; Dec 15, 2004 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New warranty issues