Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New warranty issues

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just got back from my mitsu dealer and mitsu had a national meeting about evo warranty. He said that any mitsu dealer will now void warranty for anything on the car including simple stuff like filter or muffler. He told me not to even bring mine in for an oil change without putting it back to stock. This is my friend who has hooked me up in the past and looked past my mods, but not anymore
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Last time i checked mitsu dealers still weren't able to rewrite federal laws
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Like I state before, bring a video camera or tape recorder when bringing in your car for warranty. I like to see something in the news about this.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 09:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FresnoEVO
Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) . If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or www.ftc.gov.

Last time i checked mitsu dealers still weren't able to rewrite federal laws
word~

damn, bastards writing their own laws. It's a chaos and a mock of the constitution, amendment 98, "everyone shall have the right to mod their car without dealers denying warranty or giving you hell".

it's clear and simply written down.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by plokivos
word~

damn, bastards writing their own laws. It's a chaos and a mock of the constitution, amendment 98, "everyone shall have the right to mod their car without dealers denying warranty or giving you hell".

it's clear and simply written down.
WORD!!!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with what is written above, but also that owners should take responsibility for their actions. If you are putting power adders on the car and a drivetrian component fails don't take it in and expect mitsu to cover it. That's just wrong. Nothing pisses me off more than the number of threads giving advice to strip your mods before taking the car in for service and hush-hush BS. Putting you car back to stock to try and get something covered that you broke is lying and it's wrong.

I know I'm going to get flamed to hell for saying this, but it needs to be said. <and to nip it in the bud, no I don't work for mitsubishi>
YMMV,
Greg
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

^ you shouldnt get flamed for that ...and im behind u on this...dont expect to play without paying
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

If people have the money to mod thier car enough to start breaking **** like trannies just by the pure power alone they should be able to pay the repair. If people are morons and dump the clutch at 7k repeadly every day then they should expect it to break. Now if someone is putting down only 325 to the ground and drive it normal and **** breaks then there might be a problem. People just figure since they spent 30k on a car it should be able to take as much abuse as they can throw at it. Its not a supercar, its not made to have over 400hp and raced every weekend. It is a good start platform for such a car but not able to take it from the factory. People need to think of it like this....

If you want to turn up your boost, you should get some fuel control and more of it. That makes it "safer". People should ALSO figure, if I want 450hp and be able to drag it without any drivetrain problems, they should beef up the drivetrain. Same idea. I havent heard of anyone leaning thier motor out at 24psi and blowing it and then blaming mitsu on it. So we do so many people blame mitsu for drivetrain failures? I wont be happy if part of my drivetrain blows but if it does I will at least know why... launching the car and giving it 50% more power than it had stock.

Im sure this isn't what people want to hear either but it is a simple idea. You get a mod and need supporting mods. You want 550hp drag car but then try to get mitsu to warranty your clutch. Beef up the whole car, not just the motor. Now if mitsu tried to void a suspension warranty because of horsepower then I might get pissed. But more power kills drivetrains faster. It is that simple. Oh well, sorry if no one agrees with me.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and I have also been to a few different mitsu dealers with my car so far for just minor stuff and none of them have said anything about me needing to pay for it because I had mods. None of them said my warranty is void. I think people might just be overblowing this whole deal. A few people might have been screwed before and now everyone likes to make a huge story about mitsu because of it. Anyone here honestly have any sort of proof of this warranty void crap? If they do I will take care of it. My sister is a business lawyer and she will help me sort out any problems you may be having with your dealer as long as it is a real claim and not something for a clutch or brake pads.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Greg K
I agree with what is written above, but also that owners should take responsibility for their actions. If you are putting power adders on the car and a drivetrian component fails don't take it in and expect mitsu to cover it. That's just wrong. Nothing pisses me off more than the number of threads giving advice to strip your mods before taking the car in for service and hush-hush BS. Putting you car back to stock to try and get something covered that you broke is lying and it's wrong.

I know I'm going to get flamed to hell for saying this, but it needs to be said. <and to nip it in the bud, no I don't work for mitsubishi>
YMMV,
Greg
Yeh, but once they see that you broke something like tranny doesn't mean they should void warranty on other things like electrical or something that's not related to your abuse.

That's the whole issue people are having. Sure it's unlawful and dishonest, but what do you think the dealers are doing, caring about you?

A lot of people are having problems breaking the transfer case on stock clutch. That's not suppose to happen, but the dealers 80% of the time wont warranty it.

That's wrong. You can't possibly break the stock transfer case before you break the stock clutch. It's suppose to be the airbag for the t-case.

That's all I'm saying. Some dealers are honest but most of them are dishonest and will cheat you.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

it's easy to break anything if you try hard enough. the clutch isn't whats causing you to break the T/C it's wheel hop and the front wheel speed getting out of synch and shock loading on impact. (if I had a nickel for every awd mazda box I've picked up with a dustpan because of wheel speed mismatch and shock loading, I'd have a lot of nickels.) Any car (and I do mean any) can be broken in stock form. It's just a matter of how much punishment the driver puts on the car.
YMMV,
Greg
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:00 AM
Account Disabled

yeh, clutch isn't it, but shock loading can't happen if the clutch isn't engaged. so hence your stock clutch engineer to shatter before that load is transfer to your transfer case.

Then again, what's the point in not pushing your car? It's really the safety issue more than anything else. lol
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

We all have sales contracts that are binding. No one has the legal right change the terms or provisions of these contracts unless both parties agree to it. If you let your dealer or anyone else walk on you who's fault is that? Excercise your rights or foget you have them.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
YMMV,
Greg
Maybe you should work for

Sorry but over does this
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

no thanks, I get paid a lot better engineering airplanes.

as far as changing contacts go, read your warranty booklet and see what it says about aftermarket parts. That is the contract you agreed to.

Quick Reply: New warranty issues