Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is there a JDM EVO GSR badge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
Ehhh, what did I assume??? And what on earth made you think I was offended by the topic? I also clearly stated my post to be slightly OT but obviously I would have needed to be more precise. I have seen at several occasions on this board US EVO8’s to be regarded as GSR’s and that’s what I was asking about? I know there is some confusion about the spec of different EVO models but I’ve never seen any confusion about the GSR until now. And I never said anything about you having a JDM GSR EVO VIII but your name “JDM EVO VIII” makes me wonder a bit what kind of EVO you actually have? Then, putting emblems on a car showing something more than it really is makes me think of an expression we have in Sweden and that is “emblem tuning” like when somebody with a N/A engine puts a Turbo sticker on the back of his car or a BMW 316 with a 330 badge.

There have really been only three official EVO model designations, GSR, RS and RS2. The MR is more like an EVO 8,5 much like the TME was often referred to as a 6,5. The GSR has automatic A/C with an LCD display and was only sold in the Japanese market as the luxury street version. A pure RS would never have had A/C and when the first LHD EVO6 came intended for street use it was actually based on a LHD RS but equipped with some comfort extras like manual A/C, power windows central locking etc. but it had no ABS brakes, no AYC and not even Recaro seats, I know because I had one of them back in 99-00 and it was called an RS2. With the LHD 7 and 8 the RS2 became much more like the GSR with Recaros, AYC/ACD and ABS brakes but still without automatic A/C and still they carried the name RS2. Finally the GSR has never been produced as LHD so the US EVO8 could never be a GSR.
I hope you didn't pass out with your run-on sentence and all...lol...j/k.....A screen-name is just that, a screen name. An avatar is just that, an avatar. I am not Saddam, I just photoshoped his a$$ on my body when I was djing in my room one night. It's like when people put red honda badges on USDM LHD DC2 Integra's. Yes, it's a Honda, but not a JDM RHD DC2 Integra. If jocking me gets you off about me wanting to see about getting a JDM GSR badge, then whatever gets your jollies off is fine with me. I appreciate the history lesson and all, but I really don't need your sarcastic remarks on here to make you seem more knowledgable or whatever...I'm not a dumbass by any means, and if the dealerships and all the press releases are calling it a GSR EVO VIII, then what is it really, since you know so much about them. Maybe b/c your over in Sweden, or wherever, you are kinda ticked off that the U.S. is calling it a GSR, even though it still doesn't came with the AYC and some other mods as well. I really don't see why my getting a JDM Badge concerns you a bit. You just need to chill and concentrate on modding your VII than bashing me about a damn badge. I just ask a question, and I came to the conclusion going completely badgeless period. So this thread can come to a conclusion. This has been a total waste of webspace.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

You still don’t get it do you? I NEVER commented on your question regarding the badge it self to start with. I asked why you US guys think that you have GSR’s and said that it was a bit off topic and you suddenly reacted like I was attacking you in some way? But lets just forget all about this because I don’t seam to be able to get through to you what ever I write.

Last edited by EVOVII_SWE; Dec 13, 2004 at 02:00 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious....you said there was no evo7 gsr? So I've got an RS2? whats the difference?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x7eVoLuTiOn7x
Just curious....you said there was no evo7 gsr? So I've got an RS2? whats the difference?
There has never been LHD GSR's. Basically the difference between a GSR and an RS2 has become less and less since the EVO6 and the main thing now, except that the steering wheel is on the right side in a GSR, is that the GSR comes with automatic AC with an LCD display. I don’t know if you have LHD (i.e. you drive on the right side of the road) traffic in the Philippines?

Of course there are no rules without exceptions, a guy here in Sweden has an EVO6 which were imported from the middle east. If you look at the chassis number it should be an RS but it has automatic AC and it seam to have come that way from the factory. A very rare bird indeed and so far he has not been able to find out how it came to be the way it is.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

There has never been LHD GSR's. Basically the difference between a GSR and an RS2 has become less and less since the EVO6 and the main thing now, except that the steering wheel is on the right side in a GSR, is that the GSR comes with automatic AC with an LCD display. I don’t know if you have LHD (i.e. you drive on the right side of the road) traffic in the Philippines?

Of course there are no rules without exceptions, a guy here in Sweden has an EVO6 which were imported from the middle east. If you look at the chassis number it should be an RS but it has automatic AC and it seam to have come that way from the factory. A very rare bird indeed and so far he has not been able to find out how it came to be the way it is.
Apparently, this EVO VIII is the USDM version of the GSR. I could care less that some EVO's came w/o A/C or not. I wouldn't buy one if it didn't. See over here in the US, we get screwed on alot of cars. For instance:

USDM DC2 ITR
-195 hp
-ugly-a$$ dual round headlamps on front end
-non-electric folding mirrors
-suede bucket seats w/black tweed & red stiching
-lower final drive, reduced acceleration

USDM 240SX
-truck-like KA24DE non-turbo
-ugly front-end
-LSD only offered on SE model
-slow as x-mas

JDM DC2 ITR
-197 hp
-JDM black-housing front headlamps (equipt with HID's)
-electric folding mirrors
-Red SRD Recaro front seats
-taller final drive (4.97)
-runs 13's stock

JDM Silvia S13-15 (a.k.a. 240SX)
-SR20DET -turbo 2.0L
-LSD stock
-6-speed in S15
-ergonomics are sweet in the S15

etc., etc., etc. I'm not sure if your in the US or over in Sweden, but not sure if you were aware of this here. I have a press release that describes the USDM EVOLUTION VIII as the GSR. I was just wondering if there was a badge that says GSR on it that complies with the EVO. Don't be so defensive about this. My car runs low 13's to really high 12's right now, I don't think anyone cares about my car having a GSR badge or not. Apparently, everyone on here in the US has been claiming their USDM EVO VIII's as GSR's for short.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Ehhh, what did I assume??? And what on earth made you think I was offended by the topic? I also clearly stated my post to be slightly OT but obviously I would have needed to be more precise. I have seen at several occasions on this board US EVO8’s to be regarded as GSR’s and that’s what I was asking about? I know there is some confusion about the spec of different EVO models but I’ve never seen any confusion about the GSR until now. And I never said anything about you having a JDM GSR EVO VIII but your name “JDM EVO VIII” makes me wonder a bit what kind of EVO you actually have? Then, putting emblems on a car showing something more than it really is makes me think of an expression we have in Sweden and that is “emblem tuning” like when somebody with a N/A engine puts a Turbo sticker on the back of his car or a BMW 316 with a 330 badge.

There have really been only three official EVO model designations, GSR, RS and RS2. The MR is more like an EVO 8,5 much like the TME was often referred to as a 6,5. The GSR has automatic A/C with an LCD display and was only sold in the Japanese market as the luxury street version. A pure RS would never have had A/C and when the first LHD EVO6 came intended for street use it was actually based on a LHD RS but equipped with some comfort extras like manual A/C, power windows central locking etc. but it had no ABS brakes, no AYC and not even Recaro seats, I know because I had one of them back in 99-00 and it was called an RS2. With the LHD 7 and 8 the RS2 became much more like the GSR with Recaros, AYC/ACD and ABS brakes but still without automatic A/C and still they carried the name RS2. Finally the GSR has never been produced as LHD so the US EVO8 could never be a GSR.
Thanks for the great info on the details.....

Anyway...it has been WELL-KNOWN that most JDM auto maker like to add or delete some options from the orginial JDM model when they bring it to oversea, especially in USA, we usually get LESS from them. ex: no AYC in all model here. so.....can you say our Evo is not an true EVO because we don't have AYC in it?

I guess "GSR" is somewhat sound better than "regular EVO", so that's why we all use "gsr" for those non-RS and non-MR model here in USA

btw.....if ppl called Evo 6 TME as EVO 6.5, will they also called Evo 8 MR as
EVO 8.5??

Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhosEVO
Thanks for the great info on the details.....

Anyway...it has been WELL-KNOWN that most JDM auto maker like to add or delete some options from the orginial JDM model when they bring it to oversea, especially in USA, we usually get LESS from them. ex: no AYC in all model here. so.....can you say our Evo is not an true EVO because we don't have AYC in it?

I guess "GSR" is somewhat sound better than "regular EVO", so that's why we all use "gsr" for those non-RS and non-MR model here in USA

btw.....if ppl called Evo 6 TME as EVO 6.5, will they also called Evo 8 MR as
EVO 8.5??

Of course your cars are EVO’s, AYC or not, AYC was first introduced on the EVO4 GSR and obviously there were 3 EVO’s befor that. Also the RS versions at least up to the 8 had no AYC but they got ACD from the EVO7 and up.

It might be that it’s easier to say GSR but since the GSR is such a specific and in some ways a very special EVO version it could get confusing when you regard your USDM VIII as a GSR especially if you’re not form the US.

When it comes to the TME vs. 6,5 and MR vs. 8,5 designations the 6,5 and 8,5 are not official mitsu names. As they are based on the regular 6 and 8 but still a kind of evolution people just said 6,5 and 8,5. I don’t know why mitsu didn’t named them EVO7 and so on from the start, maybe they didn’t think they were different enough to justify that?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

if we are going into semantics, then isn't an evo8 really an evo7.5?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos
damn, when did i miss out on the rainbow colored pokemon sticker? Could I get the Pikachu sticker??! PLEASE!@!@@@
Oi!!!! Dont diss Pikachu!!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
if we are going into semantics, then isn't an evo8 really an evo7.5?
True......True......just a different bumper, hood, wing & wheels.......and a few other minor details.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

my car is LHD, dont have auto AC just regular AC. The car did not come w/ a headunit or speakers. Is this an RS2? Is there a way to find out w/c country it came from? I know its made in japan but just wanna know w/c country it was shipped to 1st. All evo 7's here were from grey market. Mitsu dealers did not sell them here.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

my car is LHD, dont have auto AC just regular AC. The car did not come w/ a headunit or speakers. Is this an RS2? Is there a way to find out w/c country it came from? I know its made in japan but just wanna know w/c country it was shipped to 1st. All evo 7's here were from grey market. Mitsu dealers did not sell them here.
oouuuuch...
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

We have LHD cars in Philippines. His Evo 7 must have been converted to LHD cuz that's what they usually do when they get RHD cars from Japan or Europe.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

I would think that you got an RS2 if you have AYC? The pure RS would not have AYC and AC so that is probably out of the question and as you don’t have auto AC (climate control) GSR is also not possible. This is generally speaking as there are always exceptions to the “rules”.

Sorry, I don't know how to check the origin of your car.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 01:34 AM
Evolved Member

The GSR has automatic A/C with an LCD display and was only sold in the Japanese market as the luxury street version.
isnt the standard evo 8 sold in the American market as the luxury street version as well?

by your details, then the US doesnt have ANY "real" type of evo at all. as you said before, the RS shouldnt come with A/C, but it does in the states, BUT its still sold as an RS. but i guess we dont really have an RS by your standards. along with the MR. we dont have the S-AYC, head and tail lights, etc etc. but its still called the MR. but i guess its not a real MR either just like our "standard" and RS. who the hell cares?? its just a frickin name for God's sake.

plus i think the reason people got offended was because of the way you portrayed your post and the way people took it, thats all.

A bit off topic but not entirely. Just out of curiosity, what makes you guys think you have GSR’s over there? As far as I know the GSR have never been sold outside Japan. All GSR comes with automatic A/C and has never been manufactured as LHD vehicles. Of course there are grey imports in RHD countries like the UK, New Zealand, Australia and a few other.
and yes this is very

he was asking about a GSR badge, not the definition of a GSR

Last edited by Enyth; Dec 16, 2004 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a JDM EVO GSR badge?