Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution MR Segment on Speed Channel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution MR Segment on Speed Channel

Evo Enthusiasts,

Some of you may know me for better or worse (better I hope) for the story I wrote on the Mitsubishi Warranty issues for AutoWeek Magazine. http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100378
This article received international recognition with a Gold Medal from the International Automotive Media Awards and I hoped it has made manufacturers aware that the consumer does have a voice.

I just want to let you know I produced and will host a television test drive of the Evo MR for our second last show of AutoWeek TV on Speed Channel this Sunday Dec. 12 at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m. Eastern Time. It is the feature story and hope y'all get the chance to catch it.

Our show is being pulled off the air after Dec. 19 fyi.

Thanks,

Andrew Luu

Evo MR print review:
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101310
Old Dec 9, 2004, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Andrew,
In your professional opinion, is it worth the extra $5000 over the VIII to get the MR? Why or why not?
Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2004, 03:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
one thing. You better make the show exciting, with a lot of tests and always showing the car driving close ups.

Like Top Gear! And do a cool comparison with STI and STR-4 with Evo MR. Talk about the japanese market and european market.

Talk about the warranty issue, like an investigation journalist.

Talk about aftermarket support with other modded evos.

Don't say, "the handling is great... blah blah blah" say, "the aluminum suspension components, blah blah blah" get technical, most people on this thread is very technical and will spot a bs quickly.

Once you do this and make it as an hour show, I'll watch it.

Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is autoweek getting pulled?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

i got this strange rash on my ***, think it's from the recaros?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
i got this strange rash on my ***, think it's from the recaros?
yeh.. that's something we didn't need to know.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

aww
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Why is autoweek getting pulled?
Speed decided it no longer wanted the budget dedicated to our show and felt it could be better used elsewhere at this time. As viewers of Speed probably have noticed, the channel's direction is also changing. So presently we are seeking new avenues and ideas in which to move our show to.

Last edited by aluu; Dec 9, 2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aluu
Speed decided it no longer wanted the budget dedicated to our show and felt it could be better used elsewhere at this time. As views of Speed probably have noticed, the channels direction is also changing. So presently we are seeking new avenues and ideas in which to move our show to.
damn NASCAR
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I also heard that NASCAR purchased Speed channel and they are setting it up so that 50% of programing will be NASCAR related.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timujin
damn NASCAR

Great, bunch of rookies going in a circle. After 20 laps don’t they get board?? What if one of them fell sleep on the steering wheel and hit the wall.... Oh I have seen that. ....
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:53 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Drive fast, turn left. No matter how much beer you drink you can still figure out what is happening.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aluu
Speed decided it no longer wanted the budget dedicated to our show and felt it could be better used elsewhere at this time. As views of Speed probably have noticed, the channels direction is also changing. So presently we are seeking new avenues and ideas in which to move our show to.
nASScartv
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Andrew,
In your professional opinion, is it worth the extra $5000 over the VIII to get the MR? Why or why not?
Thanks
When it comes to the car industry there is one thing unlike most items you can purchase (like clothes, jewelry, electronics) that usually proves true: "You get what you pay for."

For example you can buy a Kia Spectra or Chevrolet Cavalier or Toyota Corolla. Each progressively cost more but you get more quality, sophistication and better dynamics for each dollar. (Though I'd argue the gap between Kia and Hyundai to the domestics is decreasing substantially)

So is the MR worth the extra $4000 grand over Evo VII? I'd have to say yes. First off only 1000 MRs (approx.) will be produced, so there is the intangible quality of exclusivity. You get lighter BBS wheels, an MR-only six-speed transmission and softer riding, yet higher performing Bilstein shocks. Those are the major differences and to purchase and install those upgrades yourself would cost as much as the difference, probably more especially the six-speed gearbox. The gear box with its close ratios allows the driver more control over the available power and makes better use of the power band with its shorter gearing.

In all it makes for a more tolerable every day driver that also handles better, and is slightly faster due to the gearing. As a former car turner myself, finding two-tenths can be expensive and time consuming. The MR provides improvements you will use and appreciate everytime you hit the road, so while on paper the extra cash may seem steep, behind the wheel there is no question it is well spent.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

yeh, nascar buying speed channel is an old news. Right after they've done that, all hell broke loose, all the GT2,3 coverage went down along with import coverage and WRC coverage.

They suck *** now. All the hosts there are bunch of rednecks... I use to like that channel, now it's over ran with bullflop. BULL FLOP! lol