Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I'm very close to buying an Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

1) How are the trannies holding up? I've read about them failing. Was it a design flaw that has since been corrected?
-I've got an '04... 15k miles... still holds up as if it were brand new

2) The clutch!!! I've read that the clutch is extremelyl fragile. Is this more a function of the users abusing it? Or are they just plain crap?
-It serves its purpose... I've launched my car once and only once... after that... never again... and my clutch still feels as if it were brand new

3) How's the handling? Does it tend to under/oversteer? Is it flat in turns? Have any of you tracked your cars?
- handling is orgasmic... there's no other way to describe it... stock suspension has a tendency to oversteer... yet i still belive that it was my own driver's error rather than the car's... i've gone to 3 track events, 2 autox, and 1 drag event with my evo... once again... she still feels like the day i drove her off the dealer's lot

4) Maintainence issues. Are there any?
- Plain and simple... you play, you pay... you drive harder... you replace parts more....
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kapolani
I hope this is a typo!

If not, what the hell do they do?

I have Stoptechs on my M3 and it doesn't cost me that much to do my pads... lol
Any half competant person can do their own breaks. Takes an hour tops to do all four corners (assuming you are not flushing/refilling/bleeding all the fluid)

Ferrodo 2600 f/r will run about $350 do your own brake job and you are good to go Dealer prices are outragous!
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiretsu

Japan has a slightly different location on the meter of command economy versus free-market with a greater involvement between Buisnesses and Government, it is how they maintain and advance thier competitiveness and is a source of national pride. I'd doubt that Mitsu will go under, consider the socio-political context.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 09:20 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

I don't know fellas - I really want to test drive this car and see how it handles. My Cooper S's handling is no slouch and my M3 is pretty much track prepped.
I've tracked a Cooper S and it felt slow, vague, and disconnected. It did want me to push it harder in the corners but my confidence was lacking because I just didn't feel right with the car. Difficult to explain, but there was just no feedback with the road. The Evo is the complete opposite. Go into a corner hot and you'll be thinking 'oh crap' but then the car just sticks and goes. It's very easy to determine the limits of the car without actually going off track and it is an easy car to drive fast. It does push in the corners though if you go in too hot, but a little lift of the gas normally sorts that out.

My car had 30 odd miles on it when I bought it and the clutch never felt right to me. I swapped it out after a few K just to be on the safe side and because I knew I would have to do so eventually anyway; so I can't really comment on that. Gearbox is fine though. Only thing that really bugs me is the deceleration noise which goes away when you push the clutch in. It sounds like bits of my transmission are just rattling around in there.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UFO
I've tracked a Cooper S and it felt slow, vague, and disconnected. It did want me to push it harder in the corners but my confidence was lacking because I just didn't feel right with the car. Difficult to explain, but there was just no feedback with the road. The Evo is the complete opposite. Go into a corner hot and you'll be thinking 'oh crap' but then the car just sticks and goes. It's very easy to determine the limits of the car without actually going off track and it is an easy car to drive fast. It does push in the corners though if you go in too hot, but a little lift of the gas normally sorts that out.

My car had 30 odd miles on it when I bought it and the clutch never felt right to me. I swapped it out after a few K just to be on the safe side and because I knew I would have to do so eventually anyway; so I can't really comment on that. Gearbox is fine though. Only thing that really bugs me is the deceleration noise which goes away when you push the clutch in. It sounds like bits of my transmission are just rattling around in there.
That's interesting...

I've never heard someone have a negative experience with the car. You didn't have enough seat time - that has to be it... lol...

The Cooper S does push if you enter the corner too hot, but the fix for that is a stiffer rear-sway. It totally transforms the car - making the handling neutral - oversteer can be brought on with some throttle input.

I've never tracked an AWD car before so I don't have any experience to rely on. There's an obvious difference how you drive FWD/RWD cars on the track.

My M3 can be a handful if you get on it too early coming out of the apex - but it's rewarding as hell to drive at even 6/10ths out on the track.

It's supercharged right now, but looking to put in a stage II turbo good for about 425rwhp 415rwtrq!

Honestly - I want the Evo - I've grown tired of the Cooper S. Although fun to drive - you can only do so much to get more power out of it.

Thanks...
Old Dec 10, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Did you say you were going to trade in or sell one of your other cars and/or also modify the Evo? I bought an Evo to drive everyday and keep stock. I don't think I'll have any particular reliability or maintenance concerns with that plan - start with big mods and who knows? BTW, I had a 98 E36 M3 for awhile.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jhodel
Did you say you were going to trade in or sell one of your other cars and/or also modify the Evo? I bought an Evo to drive everyday and keep stock. I don't think I'll have any particular reliability or maintenance concerns with that plan - start with big mods and who knows? BTW, I had a 98 E36 M3 for awhile.

Jim
Jim -

I'll trade in the Cooper S when I get the Evo.

I'll probably keep the Evo stock - until the warranty runs out - then mod it.

It'll be used for a daily driver. I just want to up the fun factor and I think the Evo would be perfect.

I've been doing a lot of research and I haven't found many, if any, negative reviews on the car.

All of the complaints I've been hearing about stem from the earlier models.

You had an M3, huh? Traded it in for the Evo? lol...

My M3's mods -

AA supercharger
AA Track pipe
UUC system U exhaust
UUC SSK
Koni SA's with H&R race springs
Stoptech BBK
SSR comps 17 x 8 S03's

I would love to get around 300ish awhp with the Evo. That should be attainable.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jasonc32amg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiretsu

Japan has a slightly different location on the meter of command economy versus free-market with a greater involvement between Buisnesses and Government, it is how they maintain and advance thier competitiveness and is a source of national pride. I'd doubt that Mitsu will go under, consider the socio-political context.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting read.

Who's going to bail them out then?

I haven't been able to find any info on Mitsu's current state of affairs.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, I traded the M3 on a 99 Viper GTS which is a lot of fun, but not satisfactory as a daily driver. It's just too overt for daily use and is frustrating in traffic. The Viper is better for the open road and for the track.

The Evo is excellent for daily driving. We got an 05 'standard' Evo because the MR was more money then we wanted to spend. I'd say it is a bit stiff, but OK for daily driving. It's nice and tight so I don't mind, although I might consider a set of MR bilstiens in a litte while. It is plenty fast - the short gears and turbo boost are always fun, although perhaps a little too short geared for freeway cruising, similar to my M3 in that regard.

Handling wise the Evo is also excellent, especially the steering which is very quick. If you are used to modded performance cars, I think you'll really like it.

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim -

i think that what most people say when they buy a new evo , but rarely happens. ps = dont bother with the extra warrenty. once you start modding, its gone. waste of money
Old Dec 10, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jhodel
Actually, I traded the M3 on a 99 Viper GTS which is a lot of fun, but not satisfactory as a daily driver. It's just too overt for daily use and is frustrating in traffic. The Viper is better for the open road and for the track.

The Evo is excellent for daily driving. We got an 05 'standard' Evo because the MR was more money then we wanted to spend. I'd say it is a bit stiff, but OK for daily driving. It's nice and tight so I don't mind, although I might consider a set of MR bilstiens in a litte while. It is plenty fast - the short gears and turbo boost are always fun, although perhaps a little too short geared for freeway cruising, similar to my M3 in that regard.

Handling wise the Evo is also excellent, especially the steering which is very quick. If you are used to modded performance cars, I think you'll really like it.

Jim
Viper... Nice!!

My college buddy has a 98 Viper. He dumped about 40k into the engine/suspension etc.... I went out a while ago to visit him in San Diego. He tossed me the keys and said "have fun..."

I have to say that is the fastest car I have ever driven to this day. He says he dyno's some where in the 800ish range. Insane!

I have my test drive tomorrow. I'm leaning towards an 04, but if they offer me a satisfactory price then I might jump on the 05.

I should try to sell my Cooper S outright, but I have neither the time nor patience to deal with that. I paid mostly cash for it - I don't mind taking the hit - lol - I'm young and still single. lol. May as well play while I still can.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

The dealer where I bought our Evo had two 04's on the lot and I suspect I could have made a good deal on them. One had the leather package which was very nice, but added $2500 too the price - it also had a big scape on the bumper which could have been fixed, but turned me off. The other 04 was a demo of sorts. The thing on the 05 for me was the limited slip front differential and the '[active' center diff, plus the 5 hp and 10 foot pounds of torque.

I got our Evo for $30,700 out the door including the delivery charge and tax and license which is approx $600 off sticker. It's hard too tell what 'invoice' is exactly, but I thought that was a decent deal.

You'll have to take a track test with your new Evo and supercharged M3 sometime....

Jim
Old Dec 10, 2004, 09:43 PM

Jim -

I'll trade in the Cooper S when I get the Evo.

It'll be used for a daily driver. I just want to up the fun factor and I think the Evo would be perfect.

I've been doing a lot of research and I haven't found many, if any, negative reviews on the car.

All of the complaints I've been hearing about stem from the earlier models.

You had an M3, huh? Traded it in for the Evo? lol...

My M3's mods -

AA supercharger
AA Track pipe
UUC system U exhaust
UUC SSK
Koni SA's with H&R race springs
Stoptech BBK
SSR comps 17 x 8 S03's

I would love to get around 300ish awhp with the Evo. That should be attainable.
Trade your M3 for EVO and keep the Cooper S.. I have a cooper S and an EVO
Old Dec 11, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up getting the Evo!!!!

I went to the dealer JUST TO LOOK, but ended up getting an extremely good deal for an 05 Evo VIII.

I'm actually still at the dealership waiting for them to prep my car.

I will make a new thread detailing my exprience and intial impressions after I go have fun for a little bit.

russ
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:59 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

I ended up getting the Evo!!!!

I went to the dealer JUST TO LOOK, but ended up getting an extremely good deal for an 05 Evo VIII.

I'm actually still at the dealership waiting for them to prep my car.

I will make a new thread detailing my exprience and intial impressions after I go have fun for a little bit.

russ
Haha, congrats! I hope you didn't pick up an electric blue one otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to hate you .