Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I'm very close to buying an Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the Evo now and enjoy driving it! Any car can break(tranny, engine clutches) if you abuse it and it depends on how you drive.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by kapolani
I ended up getting the Evo!!!!

I went to the dealer JUST TO LOOK, but ended up getting an extremely good deal for an 05 Evo VIII.

I'm actually still at the dealership waiting for them to prep my car.

I will make a new thread detailing my exprience and intial impressions after I go have fun for a little bit.

russ

Congrats!!!

If I may ask how much did you get it for otd?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I think you'll like it. Check in with us after you've driven it some. We just hit 500 miles. I figure on another couple of hindred before I run it hard.

Jim
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Okay...

I really don't know where to start.

I've only put about 200 miles on it - NOT BROKEN IN YET - but the car is so much fun to drive.

I haven't gone above 4k rpm yet - no WOT - nothing crazy. I HAVE noticed how smoothly the motor pulls - and - right around 3500 rpm the fun begins. I feel the turbo kick in - such a great rush.

It sucks that I haven't been able to really get on it - she's only teasing me right now... lol... I'll pop her cherry soon enough... lol...

I want to comment on the steering. Nice and tight. At high speeds the car feels like an extension of my mind. All you have to do is give it some steering input and she's there. The steering is very quick - much quicker than my Cooper S - which I thought was quick.

I was able to do my first 4 wheel drift!

I went to one of my favorite spots - it's a nice right hand sweeper - it starts off tight and then flattens out. I've taken this turn many times in my Cooper S and M3. I wasn't sure what to expect (never driven an AWD car) coming out of the apex. In my M3 I can hang the rear end out and then straighten it out coming out of the turn. In the Evo I got on it a little early - the back end came out - counter steered - and then it felt different! the whole car balanced itself and pulled itself through the turn. It was pretty damn cool.

I think I got a pretty good deal. I was only going to LOOK but decided to talk to the guy and see what kind of numbers we could work.

I got it out the door - tax - title and license for $30,400.

I love the warranty. The sale went very well. The guy knew I was an educated consumer so he was very cordial and didn't bull**** me. I got it from Darcars Mitsu in Silver Spring Maryland and nothing but good things to say about them.

I'm really digging this car!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kapolani
I ended up getting the Evo!!!!

I went to the dealer JUST TO LOOK, but ended up getting an extremely good deal for an 05 Evo VIII.

I'm actually still at the dealership waiting for them to prep my car.

I will make a new thread detailing my exprience and intial impressions after I go have fun for a little bit.

russ
congrats
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

nice write up

so do you like it better than your m3?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
nice write up

so do you like it better than your m3?
I honestly don't know quite yet.

I haven't been able to push her hard. I've whipped around some of my favorite spots - it was wet last night - I LOVE THE AWD - and had a blast.

I tell you what though - I'm having a harder time deciding which car to take out... lol...

Hands down this car performs exactly as advertised. I can't wait until it starts snowing so I can go play around in some parking lots.

What are some of the simple mods people are doing to increase hp? Just curious...
Old Dec 12, 2004, 05:22 PM

Nice write up! Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Some more impressions:

The car is very happy on the freeway/highway. I think the gearing is spot on.

The ride isn't too harsh - it's perfect - but people who aren't used to being in performance machines may think it's a little harsh. I live on a private road - it's a gravel/dirt road. It's nice and twisty with some uneven terrain (bumps, rutts, etc...) This eats them up and asks for more.

I've heard the interior just plain sucks. Everyone who told me this has a BMW so I can understand where they are coming from. I like the fit and finish of the Evo. It may not be as plush (i opted for no leather) and luxurious as the BMW's, but I'd rather have cloth seats for a car like this. Heck - If I want comfort I'll jump in the M3.

I'm going to try and finish breaking her in this week, change the oil, and then make a few high rpm runs.

I've been looking/ researching the upgrade pathway for the Evo.

With all my cars I've always worked on the suspension first - brakes - then the engine.

The Evo has a little more body roll than I'm used to - not much by any means - but it is noticeable. I might try and look for a stiffer rear-sway to see if I can dial some of that out. I haven't noticed too much understeer, but like I said I haven't been able to run her hard yet.

I've also noticed that the brakes (brembo's) don't have as much initial bite as my Stoptechs. I have to use more force to get the tactile feel that I'm used to in my M3. This is not to say that they are inadequate - they have great stopping power once you get them warmed up a bit. I haven't experienced any brake fade yet.

I'm gonna flush the brakes and add some steel braided lines and see what improvement that will bring.

Sidenote:

I have every racer kid revving on me and "eye-doinking" my car!!!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

sounds good