Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am done modding my MR and like to share my experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobby12many
If you are buying the RS intake, you need to be tuned for it, end of story.
You mean with a flash?

I've tuned the car with the intake and it runs great at WOT, just getting the same trouble others get when using the RS intake. The idle is not steady. It keeps hunting or surging.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 99AllTurbo
You mean with a flash?

I've tuned the car with the intake and it runs great at WOT, just getting the same trouble others get when using the RS intake. The idle is not steady. It keeps hunting or surging.
Yeah. AL from Dynoflash told me that the car would basically be irradic if you didnt get a reflash after installing it. Best WHP gains after tune though concerning intakes.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

have you got the car dyno'd?? i'd be interesting in seeing what numbers it made.. considering those are pretty much the same mods i have... HKS RS kit, 3inch turbo back exhaust, walbro fuel pump, boost controller @ 21-22lbs, and of course dynoflash.

my '03 evo makes 291 whp with that
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

errr, modding is never done.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobby12many
Yeah. AL from Dynoflash told me that the car would basically be irradic if you didnt get a reflash after installing it. Best WHP gains after tune though concerning intakes.
Yes this statement is true, Al at Dynoflash said that with his ECU reflash, the HKS suction RS showed the best results of all intakes he had tested.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

1. HKS RS Instake - Easy 1 hour Installation, but the motor will run like sh*t if you don't retune the ECU. I was somewhat disappointed with this intake though, because it doesn't really fit right. The bracket provided will not fit. I have to rest the yellow mushroom filter on the frame. And the filter/MAF sensor silicone tubing is bent slight upward. I don't think it will decrease performance, but HKS should have done more test fitting to ensure it will fit correctly in a USDM evo. One thing I really like though is the loud "psssssssh" sound from my stock BOV.
My bracket fit perfectly, just redo.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:40 AM

good review....
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

nicely done, thanks for the info
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:15 AM
Account Disabled

Post pics of your modded MR!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

I will definitely try to redo my RS intake to see if if the mushroom filter can rest on the bracket. If possible, can someone please post the underside of the filter so I can see how the bracket and filter are sitting?

I ended up with the HKS EVC V instead of the Hallman MBC. The installation is quite easy after figuring out our evo has the internal wastegate setup. One small flaw with the EVC is it didn't come with vacuum hose size reducing adaptors. Our car has 4mm nozzles on both the turbo outlet and wastegate, but the HKS uses 6mm hose on the boost control solenoid. So I picked up some adaptors from pepboys to finish the job.

I also got Kartboy polyurethane exhaust hangars today to see if i can eliminate the rattling noise.

Al from dynoflash told me that my car should net around 300whp with 91 octane or 320whp with 93 octane, but I plan to dyno it soon. Anyone know where to dyno an EVO in So Cal?

Actually, I really meant to say I am done modding my MR in the engine/power area. I am pretty happy with the power and handling of the car. I just don't want to risk taking apart the motor to do cams/cam gears, bigger fuel injectors or messing with a bigger turbo. I still want to do simple mod like turbo timer, radio upgrade, and HKS SSQV, etc... Any other mods you guys recommend?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
Anyone know where to dyno an EVO in So Cal?

I've used Harman Motive (www.harmanmotive.com) in Torrance. They have an AWD Dynojet.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Good .

Need to objectify, please post numbers.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 11:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that was very organized. I heard Al from Dynoflash saying that the ES hallman MBC wont hold more than 15psi.

I think you may want to reconsider before you do all the work to install that.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice write up. My MR is similar to yours, in terms of upgrade path. What you said about the RS intake also happened to me, in fact, the whole kit is slightly too long that the filter was hitting the tramission fluid bottle. Had to cut .5" off the pipe to get it fit perfectly. I'm using the HKS downpipe which fits perfectly, and so are the UR 2.5" test pipe & HKS Cf-Ti catback. For intercooler piping, I chose RMR's, which wasn't hard to install, perfect fit, but does require a bit of patience. I'm getting my car dynoed & tuned at TT on Thursday, I will post results that night on how things are.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

good write up

Quick Reply: I am done modding my MR and like to share my experience