Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am done modding my MR and like to share my experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am done modding my MR and like to share my experience

As some of you know that I think modding car equal headache, because aftermarket companies and tuner shop are not as well funded to do product test fitting and R&D. But I still want to "derestrict" my MR and follow upgrade path of the UK FQ340. I was hoping to retain stock drivability and durability. I think I have achieved my goal, but I've also encounter a number of problems. I hope this review can help MR owner decide whether they want to mod and be aware of the issues ahead of time.

Here are the items I've installed on my MR.

1. HKS RS Instake - Easy 1 hour Installation, but the motor will run like sh*t if you don't retune the ECU. I was somewhat disappointed with this intake though, because it doesn't really fit right. The bracket provided will not fit. I have to rest the yellow mushroom filter on the frame. And the filter/MAF sensor silicone tubing is bent slight upward. I don't think it will decrease performance, but HKS should have done more test fitting to ensure it will fit correctly in a USDM evo. One thing I really like though is the loud "psssssssh" sound from my stock BOV.

2. HKS TI Carbon Exhaust - Perfect fitment, easy installation. Produce a deeper tone than stock exhaust and not loud at all which is great. One thing I don't like though is the can hang very low. My driveway is not that steep and my car has stock height, with me alone in the car, it will barely clear the asphalt. However, with my wife in the car (she only weight 115 lbs), it will scratch. And I can't tell her to get off the car either. Luckily, I rarely go out with her in my car. Very good item unless you have a steep driveway.

3. Ultimate Racing Hi Flow Cat - Easy Installation, fits perfect. The only draw back is my downpipe and cat doesn't comes with any bolts. Have to run to Autozone and paid $20 for hi-temp bolt while the car is in the muffler shop. No engine light.

4. RMR 3" downpipe - Easy Installation, doesn't fit right. Unlike what people said, it will fit the 05 MR and will clear the transfer case. However, the mid section will come into contact with the crossmember of the car. It makes very annoying "cling cling" sound when the car is in very low 1500 rpm range. I've ordered some 2" width exhaust wrap to see if it can eliminate the noise from the undercarriage. The exhaust will be slightly louder with a throaty sound. I notice quicker spool up and more power.

5. RMR underbody braces - Easy Installation, fits perfect. You will need to remove 2 factory lower tie bars if you are using 3" downpipe, the oversize downpipe hang lower than stock, so its a must have.

6. Walboro fuel pump - Easy installation, fits perfect. Its actually quite easy to take the pump assembly out of the back seat. Simply, rotate the retention ring around the opening and it comes off easy. Less than 30 mins from start to finish. You will also need to retune the ECU for this mod. I actually got dynoflash to flash my ecu with the new pump setting before i drop the new pump in. When I drive the car over 4500 rpm, I actually hit fuel cut. So, I can confirm the ecu mapping is different.

7. RVM 3" intercooler hardpipe kit - Difficult installation, took me 6 hours from start to finish, useless instruction, doesn't fit right. By far the worst thing for my car in terms of fitment. But It offers very noticeable gain in power and faster turbo spool up. The driver side lower pipe fits perfect, but the top pipe force the stock BOV right behind the sharp fan housing where fan housing edge is cutting/rubbing into the BOV. The passenger side lower pipe is horrible. The U shaped pipe should be bent inward alittle more and shorter. The lower pipes with the silcone hose adaptor have to hang lower so the undercar plastic panel no longer fits perfect.

8. Dynoflash - Easy $199 mail in. I believe this is the best bang for the bucks mod for evo. I wholeheartly want to thanks AL for offering his great service. No surprise. Everythings great including service, and performance gain. I was skeptical at first when I see new ecu map is needed just for getting a new fuel pump.

9. Hallman MBC ES - bought it but haven't do this mod yet, so I don't want comment on it yet. Al told me to set the boost at 1.4 bar or 21 psi but I am already seeing over 1.5 bar on my stock gauge, so i think the stock gauge is not that accurate. And since stock boost on MR is already at 20.3 psi, so for 05 model, the function for mbc is just to cure the boost tapering issue??

Again, I am just speaking from my own experience and i just like to share it with you guys. And I hope this is useful.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the review dude.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the review. I am following a similar path, so far I already have the Power Agency air filter which uses a K&N cone filter, I also ordered a Turbo XS cat-back 3" with the titanium tip. I have on hand the Walbro fuel pump and I have on hand the GBF manual boost controller.

I am still waiting to get a Down-pipe, there is so many mismatch comments about the Down-pipes that I don't even want to go through the hassel of ordering one and taking the risk of not being able to fit it on my EVO MR.

I will also post my experiences after all the parts are installed and tune. Again, thanks for your info..
Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Great write up!

Honest and intelligent consumer feedback like this is very much appreciated. I think many people are unwilling to scrutinize their aftermarket parts purchases to this extent. Or at least to be open about the downsides of many parts.

The fitment problems you've had with some of these parts is pretty alarming to me. I hope more people can share experiences like this.

You should look into tho some aftermarket exhaust hangers, I think kartboy makes some. Perhaps they could help with your low hanging exhaust?
Old Dec 10, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so you say your done modding. i think its funny when people say this , cause in a few months i see their next mod posted
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
so you say your done modding. i think its funny when people say this , cause in a few months i see their next mod posted
^^ Ain't that the truth.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

the evo is a money pit... you can never be done modding!!!

nice review
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

i have the rmr exhaust and downpipe. I dont have any cling clinging anywhere. I had to reposition my exhaust and once and awhile i get a cling from the brace. is the mr that much different?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would improve the suspension before being "done." Springs will make a world of difference... My 2c.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
1. HKS RS Instake - Easy 1 hour Installation, but the motor will run like sh*t if you don't retune the ECU. I was somewhat disappointed with this intake though, because it doesn't really fit right. The bracket provided will not fit. I have to rest the yellow mushroom filter on the frame. And the filter/MAF sensor silicone tubing is bent slight upward. I don't think it will decrease performance, but HKS should have done more test fitting to ensure it will fit correctly in a USDM evo. One thing I really like though is the loud "psssssssh" sound from my stock BOV.
You may have installed the mounting bracket incorrectly. I did. Then realized the "L" bracket needed to be turned around.

The slotted hole needs to bolt to the body of the car. Then make sure the "U" shaped piece faces the passenger side of the car.

I can take a pic of what it looks like so you can see how it worked for me (this afternoon). Let me know.

The only other problem I encountered was the big goldish looking bracket that holds the intercooler piping and the boost control solenoid. It was in the way of the filter. Remove it, but you can bolt back on the small bracket the holds the boost control solenoid. After those two changes, the filter rests perfectly on the bracket that came with the intake.

The only thing that sucks is the idle surge I cannot seem to fix even by richening up using an AFC.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; Dec 14, 2004 at 08:48 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

nice info...
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 99AllTurbo
You may have installed the mounting bracket incorrectly. I did. Then realized the "L" bracket needed to be turned around.

The slotted hole needs to bolt to the body of the car. Then make sure the "U" shaped piece faces the passenger side of the car.

The only other problem I encountered was the big goldish looking bracket that holds the intercooler piping and the boost control solenoid. It was in the way of the filter. Remove it, but you can bolt back on the small bracket the holds the boost control solenoid. After those two changes, the filter rests perfectly on the bracket that came with the intake.

The only thing that sucks is the idle surge I cannot seem to fix even by richening up using an AFC.

Hope that helps you.

Took some of the words right out of my mouth! MY RS Intake fit absolutely perfectly, and has stayed in perfect mounting position since I installed it.!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chantaiman51

1. HKS RS Instake - Easy 1 hour Installation, but the motor will run like sh*t if you don't retune the ECU.
Also, do you still have the idling problem? If not, how did you fix it. I've read several threads on this but no solutions.

I was considering putting the stk intake hose to see if it idles better but defeats the purpose of buying this intake.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 99AllTurbo
Also, do you still have the idling problem? If not, how did you fix it. I've read several threads on this but no solutions.

I was considering putting the stk intake hose to see if it idles better but defeats the purpose of buying this intake.

If you are buying the RS intake, you need to be tuned for it, end of story.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Nice write up.

Originally Posted by jotan82
the evo is a money pit... you can never be done modding!!!
Very true, unless you don't have the money.

Quick Reply: I am done modding my MR and like to share my experience