Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turned in my Evo: Lemon LAw

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder sometimes about the future of my car. I picked mine up either feb or mar of 2003 I don't remember, but it was one of the first batches. I only have 9k On mine, but it seems the early ones had most of the problems. I had a clutch at 2k and the driver rear fender painted twice from rock chips. anyways!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 12, 2004, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

SC, glad everything worked out in your favor, it sounds like you made out alright on the deal.

I agree with your statement about drivetrain noise being the main cause, this problem isn't just limited to 03, some 04's are going threw the same thing.

I think figured out by adding a front diff and ACD the SES light goes away in the 05's... we shall see.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

just want to toss in some counter points... not that im trying to tell you what to do, these are just things i would consider:

-you had an unusually (compared to the rest of us) early build and the problem you encountered has been fixed in the later cars.

-waiting to buy the first batch of the new version of what exists (i.e., evo 9) or the debut of something currently foreign (skyline), will simply put you right back where you were with your just-sold evo - likely to encounter oddball problem(s) that may be far more dangerous and/or inconvenient than your evo's SES light coming on. "never buy the first year of a car" is a familiar thing to hear for a reason.

-without knowing what either the evo9 or the skyline will look/sound/feel/drive like, the wait could turn into a big disappointment. shoot, i get disappointed when the cars suck (new mustang for instance) and im not even thinking about buying one.

for these reasons, as well as your obvious adoration of the evo (being a Mod counts, IMO), i think that if you're only staying away from the evo because of a SES light-induced buy-back, i think you're short-changing yourself.

of course, it's probably more complicated than that ...

either way, best of luck in doing what makes you happy
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
Old Dec 12, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbocake
just want to toss in some counter points... not that im trying to tell you what to do, these are just things i would consider:

-you had an unusually (compared to the rest of us) early build and the problem you encountered has been fixed in the later cars.
I know of 04 RS's and GSR's with the same exact problem. MMNA didn't fix anything.

-waiting to buy the first batch of the new version of what exists (i.e., evo 9) or the debut of something currently foreign (skyline), will simply put you right back where you were with your just-sold evo - likely to encounter oddball problem(s) that may be far more dangerous and/or inconvenient than your evo's SES light coming on. "never buy the first year of a car" is a familiar thing to hear for a reason..
We fail to remember that the US Evo VIII is merely a reskin of the Evo VII sold around the world. Mitsu had a few years to work out any bugs before it made its way to our shores.

--without knowing what either the evo9 or the skyline will look/sound/feel/drive like, the wait could turn into a big disappointment. shoot, i get disappointed when the cars suck (new mustang for instance) and im not even thinking about buying one...
You are absolutely correct. But I don't need a second car right now. So I have the luxury to sit back and see how things pan out.

--for these reasons, as well as your obvious adoration of the evo (being a Mod counts, IMO), i think that if you're only staying away from the evo because of a SES light-induced buy-back, i think you're short-changing yourself.
Nah. I had almost 40k miles of fun with my Evo. Thats more than most on these forums. I had enough for now. And if I get the itch to get behind the wheel of an Evo, I can always drive my neighbors (KK's) Evo

of course, it's probably more complicated than that.
It always is, isn't it?
--either way, best of luck in doing what makes you happy
Thx.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Dec 12, 2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Where is the built date on our EVO's?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

On the Door jambs I think. Mine was Feb '03.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Right. Look on the drivers side door jam. The date is listed on the white sticker.

SC~
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

I Turned my Evo in last month it only had 8000 miles the P0300 problem started at 6000 miles. Now I am looking for another car considered a 05 EVO but I now have cold feet. Check out this site http://www.autooninfo.net/index.html
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

SC,

I noticed you have hired a lawyer in this case.
how diffcuilt was it to make to buy back your car under lemon law?

anyway, I still rememebr seeing your Evo in that day at Holiday Inn for the expo
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Hey Joel. Call me paranoid. But I pulled my name from your post. :P

MMNA paid the full outstanding amount on my loan, a lil less than $20k. This payment was made directly to my lender. They paid my lawyer his fee directly. They then gave me a check equivalent to the payments I made + my down payment + use tax/registration - a 20% depreciation because I had 24k trouble free miles. Suffice it to say, you get more money in a lemon law buy back than you would with a private party sale!

SC~

HOLY CRAP!

So I should go in and get them started on this 0300 thing I keep resetting ... if it doesn't work out then, damn, hafta buy an MR...

... whoa ...