Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turned in my Evo: Lemon LAw

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turned in my Evo: Lemon LAw

Well, after 4 visits to the dealership and no fix for my Evo's 0300 CEL issue, MMNA bought back my car under the lemon law.

I am now Evoless.

Shortly after turning in my car, I took an MR for a ride. The thing rocked. It was smoother than my Evo ever was, the shift was slick and short, and the hp bump was clear. I thought about handing my check right back over to Mitsu for a few minutes. But the memories of what I had just gone through came flooding back...and I just don't want to go through it again. So no more Evo's for me.

So for the next year or so, I'll be driving my 61 Mini full time. But I still plan on being a part of this site.....just no one can accuse me of having vendor bias anymore!

SC~
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sad to hear that.. what would you get next??
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:48 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about your experience. What year was your car?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

My car was an 03 (Dec 02 build I think). It was one of the first batches of Evo's brought to the US.

I got 24k miles out of it before the 0300 problem first cropped up. I turned it in with just less than 40k miles.

Santhology, I won't be buying another new car for a year or two. I want to see how Nissans R35 Skyline pans out. It has the potential to be sweet. If it's not too heavy and if it has enough power, I'll be in line for one.

In the meanwhile, I am turboing my Mini. 120hp in an 1300lb car will make for a fun lil ride.

SC~

SC~
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:13 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
I won't be buying another new car for a year or two. I want to see how Nissans R35 Skyline pans out.
Me too. I'm not really a fan of the 350Z look. If it's around 3300lbs 400hp i'd be interested. I hope it looks like the R34 .

By then I don't think many cars will be able to touch the new ZO6.

I didn't know they made evo 8's in 02. You must of had the first model manufactured for the states.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

hmmmm well the p0300 problem is just a glitch on the ECU correct? i mean it doesn't mean theres something wrong with your car mechanicly correct?

and yeah i hope they skyline they bring over or what not looks like the gtr34 not like the g35
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtr

I didn't know they made evo 8's in 02. You must of had the first model manufactured for the states.
Evo's were manufactured in late 02 in Japan....they were then shipped to the US, then out to the dealerships.....very very slowly. So many of the first Evo's sold in the US (in March/Apr 03) have build dates in late 02, or early 03.

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Dec 11, 2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steveevo8
hmmmm well the p0300 problem is just a glitch on the ECU correct? i mean it doesn't mean theres something wrong with your car mechanicly correct?

and yeah i hope they skyline they bring over or what not looks like the gtr34 not like the g35
I certainly would consider a problem with the ecu a mechanical problem.

But the 0300 problem goes much further than the ecu. Mine was replaced, and the problem persisted. It's caused by noise in the driveline being detected by the engines knock sensor. Mitsu can't fix it without spending some serious money. It's cheaper for them to just buy back the cars with the problem than it is to reengineer the pieces causing problems.

SC~
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo's that were built later in 03 don't have the recall about the fan controler either I think they fixed a few things that they were having probs with in early 03 I bought mine brand new in Dec of 03 and I have 21,500 on the original clutch and nothing has had to be replaced cept for the routine air filter changes and oil.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

did they give you a check for the full price of the car? if not how much, if I may ask? I wanna see how much these cars are worth with your kind of mileage.

Thanks SC,

Joel

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Dec 11, 2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Joel. Call me paranoid. But I pulled my name from your post. :P

MMNA paid the full outstanding amount on my loan, a lil less than $20k. This payment was made directly to my lender. They paid my lawyer his fee directly. They then gave me a check equivalent to the payments I made + my down payment + use tax/registration - a 20% depreciation because I had 24k trouble free miles. Suffice it to say, you get more money in a lemon law buy back than you would with a private party sale!

SC~
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Secret Chimp
Hey Joel. Call me paranoid. But I pulled my name from your post. :P

MMNA paid the full outstanding amount on my loan, a lil less than $20k. This payment was made directly to my lender. They paid my lawyer his fee directly. They then gave me a check equivalent to the payments I made + my down payment + use tax/registration - a 20% depreciation because I had 24k trouble free miles. Suffice it to say, you get more money in a lemon law buy back than you would with a private party sale!

SC~
sorry about posting your name SC,

but anywho , Im surprised they gave you all that back
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious

What exactly were the symptoms you experienced?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

im curious about the symptoms of the 0300 as well
Old Dec 12, 2004, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

I sold my Lancer too, so i thought i'd better hand in my Mod status, and i picked up a '90 S13 Silvia ( genuine.. no 240sx thing..) witha Ca18DET and things..

SC i'm glad they helped you out with youy Evo problem, i know Mitsi Australia woulda maybe not do as much as your guys did..

Quick Reply: Turned in my Evo: Lemon LAw