Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

my fellow evo owners...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SRT-4 guys I've hung out with up in NorCal are not only genuinely decent and generous guys, but they're adults. I remember not too long ago stripping a bolt on the turbo heat shield working on my car at 10pm. I was pissed and posted a thread asking for help on the NorCal forums. 30 minutes later some dude who read my post shows up at my house with a full set of tools. He's now a good friend of mine and the first person I call whenever I discover some new mod.

A couple months before that I thought I blew a strut. I started a thread on the NorCal forums and in less than 24 hours two other SRT-4 owners had offered to GIVE me their stock struts for FREE. These are guys I have never met in my life.

And last summer I brought my car to my local Dodge dealership for an alignment and ended up having to pay $150 for the piece of paper with the pre-alignment specs. They never aligned the car yet made me pay the full amount. It's a long story and fortunately I ended up winning the financial dispute. The reason I won is because a buddy of mine who works at a Performance shop in San Jose provided an expert opinion on the situation. It was all my bank needed.

We have meets up here all the time. Yeah of course some of the guys can get annoying. Put 30 people in a room and there's usually a few who'll drive you nuts. Car owners are no different. Nobody wants to listen to a little cricket, whatever the car he drives, tell everybody about how fast his car is. We definately have our share of those. But so do you guys. So do the M3 guys and probably even the Lamborghini guys.

I think it's sorta like the whole Asian driver stereotype. You see some Asian guy driving like crap and then, from that point on, you only remember the bad drivers that were Asian because it reinforces your prejudice. Same thing with SRT-4 owners. I drive by you in your Evo and give you a thumbs up you forget about it 5 minutes later. But if some pimple faced kid blows off his BOV at you it sticks with you for a long time. Maybe you even post the story online. It's a stereotype.

The SRT-4 may be a good bang for the buck but at the end of the day it's still close to $25k out the door. It's not like homeless crack addicts are driving this car. Some of you guys make it sound like an SRT-4 is only for McDonalds employees while stock brokers drive Evos. I have to laugh. Sometimes I think I'm on the bimmer forums when the subject of the SRT-4 comes up. I know it's not all of you, but there are quite a few who instinctively become egomaniacs on here. And if you're one of the guys who stays quiet and doesn't join in on the bashing then maybe you could man-up, go against the grain, and give your take on the subject.

I try to defend all cars from bashing. In fact there's some dude on the SRT forums who has an Ion Redline. You wouldn't believe the crap that guy gets. It's not because he ever once said he drives a better car, but it's the fear that the argument could be made that motivates a lot of these guys to shoot the poor bastard down.

Sorry for the long post, but this whole subject is so played out. Just today I gave a thumbs up to a guy in an STi and he returned the favor. Everybody is different. There is no such thing as a "typical SRT-4 owner".
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Well Said.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrmefodman
yeah i have to agree its the guys in the srt 4's that always try to prove their worth and act hard.. if i see evo give thumbs up... sometimes i get the bs from sti owners but for the most part people love our car
a few week ago, I raced an STi. Man that car is sweet, but I beat him. After the race I busted a U turn and saw him stop by Subway and decided to check his car out. We both got out of the car and gave each others props. I can tell that he didn't really give a damn about my car much, but o well. I'm just there to give him props for owning that car. It's the car that I care about not the driver. If the driver is cool, then I'm cool with that. It's the people that drive a cool car and acted like jerks that ticks me off. Especially this one dude that drive around in a moded Dodge Neon, and think that he the ****. That bastard always trying to get on my nerves. Everytime he raced me, he always loose. Then when I look at him and noded my head the bastard never reply. *****!

Last edited by evolucion; Dec 14, 2004 at 01:06 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, I have to chime in here. When I owned my WRX I was parked at a bob evans standing outside waiting for my table. A SRT-4 saw my car parked and no one in it drove by and gave it a BOV. Seriously it was the funniest thing ever. I've only owned the EVO less than a week and on my way home I crossed a Silver EVO who was very nice allowed me to merge into this god awful traffic and we exchanged Thumbs UP. However, over the summer I went to a car show almost every thursday in Wilmington, DE and there where 2 SRT-4 guys that came everyweek as well. Both of them where cool as hell and helped / showed me alot about the SRT and gave me a few rides. I'm not into street racing after almost being hit 3 times while participating by cars not paying attention all of which where *minivans* GRRR. However I cruise with an STI / RX-7 / Turbo Civic Hatch / and a 300ZX and I got alot of love for all cars. Just the SRT-4 sticks out in my mind the most for always wanting to race no matter the traffic or anything else involved.

Staton