Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

speed, but reliability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question speed, but reliability

I'm asking for advice,
I'd like my evo to accelerate faster, but I dont want to interfere with the reliability and longevity of the car. I have no mods at the moment. What do you guys suggest?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:09 AM

I can't imagine that changing the exhaust could hurt the car's reliability, but what about flashes, piggyback units, cams, cam gears, throttle body, intake systems?
Comments would be appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

With increased power levels you must also increase your maintenance, it's as simple as that. Change the tranny, x-case, and rear diff fluids more often. Change the oil more often and make sure that you drive you car with respect and no clutch drops.

Also, more frequent inspection of the drivetrain will be necessary. Unfortunately, most of the yahoos here feel your should be able to crank the boost mod the snot out of the car and still operate under the manufacturer's suggested maintenance schedule

As long as your mods are properly performed and the maintenace is increased no ill-affects should be felt.

Last edited by nrcooled; Dec 13, 2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the reply, but assuming proper maintenance, is a piggy back system as safe a flash, concerning the long term reliability of the car?
Are any of the flash systems safer then the others?
Cams vs cam gears or both, which would be best for the reliability and longevity of the engine?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

The tuning should be used, whether piggy-back or flash, to enhance the current performance of the car within the tollerance of the components used. All you will be doing is taking better advantage of modifications done to the car. This in no way should affect the long term reliability of the vehicle itself. If your tuner is setting the car up on the ragged edge of A/Fs or timing then you will run into the problem. A nice safe tune should actually benefit the car.

Tuning doesn't kill cars, bad tuners do!

I don't use cams or cam gears so I wouldn't be the best person to answer your cam questions.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 03:46 PM

Anyone else with any opinions regarding safest mods especially regarding maintaining the reliability of the car.
Which is the safest flash , flash vs piggy back, cam vs cam gears, throttle body, intake systems?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xede: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...long+term+xede

d
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

ive got over 400 crank
Been modded since 2k miles and i now have 41k
still on stock clutch and no problems related to the mods
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:34 AM

Question

Iappreciate the info. From my research it seems that Vishnu and Works follow a more conservative, and thus more reliable course - Thats what I'm looking for.
Which would be theoretically more reliable- xede or xflash, turboback and camgears vs p2, turboback, throttlebody and cams.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once you open up the actual engine, I think you step into a new area. I have yet to do this, and have been trying to stay away from it. Therefore, I advise staying away from cams at least at first. Once you open up the engine for cams, they you have springs, retainers right behind them followed by lots of dyno runs and tuning... It's a never-ending process!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:06 AM

What about cam gears?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't want to do internal mod to the engine, there are plenty of options, intake, i/c piping, turboback, boost controller, intercooler and fuel pump are all things u can do without opening up your motor, they are all basic mods that combined you will see a huge improvemnt while still bein able to keep stock realabilty, if you do that much i would put a pump in 4 safety...no internal engine mods can get around 330 WP which is abpprox 100 over stock!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:12 AM
SK

From my own personal experience, I highly recommend Vishnu stage upgrades. Excellent fit & finish, customer service, and reliability.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Once you open up the actual engine, I think you step into a new area. I have yet to do this, and have been trying to stay away from it. Therefore, I advise staying away from cams at least at first. Once you open up the engine for cams, they you have springs, retainers right behind them followed by lots of dyno runs and tuning... It's a never-ending process!
...then the excitement begins!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:52 AM

What about reliability and the works tr340 package, any feedback