Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rust?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rust?

I was looking at old posts from before and I saw a huge post on rust problems. Now im wondering whether any of you guys especially the 03's have these problems? Well I just wanted to know cus the post was freakin scary....

Thanks guys
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 03 EVO and the only deteration i have seen is the heat sheild , the paint is fading but iam painting it soon !
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

22k miles no rust here, just a whole bunch of paint chips
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

i'm just curious can anyone explain why the paint on our cars suck? like chips soo easily.. mitsubishi and subaru paint i can almost safely say is the worst paint there is
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:33 PM

if u open ur rear doors, ive heard of the clear coat not being present. but then again i guess a lot of ppl should know that by now
Old Dec 13, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

okay yeah same here just minor chips two... I just got really scared when i saw it... Well thats good to hear that there arent any visible rusts on ur cars...
Old Dec 13, 2004, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

The paint thing is common to alot of new cars. Many people with IS300's complained about chips in the bumper and hood especially. I had a few one mine, but nothing excessive.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

i have a few good chips on mine, and no rust yet, but i live right on the pacific ocean, so i sure it will rust very soon. cars have that problem on the coast. i thought about putting something over it, but i think i am just going to wait and see what happens. it is ridculous that some of those chips are only 1/8 of an inch wide, but go down to bare metal.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have 2 chips above the windshield on the drivers side, and one next to the door handle on the passenger side door, all of them have turned into rust...... i brought it into mitsu to get it fixed and they denied me, (which i was expecting)
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't matter. You have a corrosion warranty anyway. Wait, did you wax the car? Oh, see? There went your corrosion warranty!!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

The dealership said the chips were from rocks, so therefore it's not covered.. (user abuse?!?) and as far as the wax, the dealer waxed it when i took delivery.... does wax void the corrosion warranty?
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

thats teh way its heading. its a joke when manufacturers are out to void your warranty immediatly. i took my srt to the dealership to get new sparkplug wires - one was baked. i go in, ask about it, the service manager - yes the manager - comes out, pops the hood, and says my warranty is voided so they wont cover it! i said WHAT?!?!?! he said yeah, i put a turbo on it, and that voided my warranty. he says that they didnt turbocharge the SRT - yeah he said SRT not even neon. the srt was only a larger motor and suspension tweaking. i looked at him a laughed right in his face. i pointed to the valve cover that says TURBO right on it, then closed the hood and showed him where it said TURBO on the hood. then walked over to an srt they had on the lot - not 10' from where i parked - and pointed to the intercooler and said see. before i even let him say anything i got in my car and left 2 big black streaks out of the parking lot. i also called and complained, and the funny thing is he isnt working there anymore. he got 1 too many complaints about voiding warranties and not helping the customers!
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked
The dealership said the chips were from rocks, so therefore it's not covered.. (user abuse?!?) and as far as the wax, the dealer waxed it when i took delivery.... does wax void the corrosion warranty?
no waxing does not void warranty. inorder for your warranty to be voided, they have to be prove that aftermarket part caused the failure! if they cant prove it, then they cant void your warranty! plain and simple. below are 2 sites that cover your legal warranty coverage in detail:

http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=8124
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this whole warranty thing is just getting out of hand. First, the guy was joking. The mag. moss act has been thrown around so much by people that have no idea what they are talking about. If mitsu decides to void your warranty, the MM act is irrellevant. You should contact mitsu first and then contact your state's consumer board. What are you really going to do? Sue mitsubishi for 1k? Take it from an attorney, you're wasting your money. I'd charge you more than that just to take the case, even if we won, I'd take it all. Please someone make a sticky of this or something because this argument has continued for too long.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your car has significant rust problems, mitsubishi will fix it. A small little chip happens when you drive the car on the street. If you dont like it, leave the car in the garage. I've got chips on all of my cars and guess what, sh$t happens.