Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

mustang buddies pissed at me

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont let that cobra guy try to trick you into racing from a roll,or on a highway... That thing is a top end beast...

Make sure its a light to light race not too long

Get Buschur stage 4 and nail your launch.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

from a roll he has no chance but quarter mile stock vs stock he most for sure has a chance. First off the cobra will probably lose traction off the line and not get the best start due to the streets not being the same as the drag strip.AWD plays a big advantage in being able to hook up without burning out. Of course he better know how to launch his car good or he stands no chance whatsoever against the cobra. stock for stock evo has beaten a cobra but driver skill is also a big factor, just find some really oily streets or pray for rain = )
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the advise, the cobra owner is a horible driver and im sure with the few mods i listed in the begining i will have np takin his *** to the cleaners. i just want to video tape it and post it up to rub it in all the mustang guys faces
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We may be Mustang guys but we have EVOs too.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:51 AM

Not a hater here I have an 03 Evo and a 92 Gt mustang. I love both cars for different reasons both are fun in their own way. Really want to walk on him try it on a rainy day I love pulling up on the heavy hitters on rainy days. I just smile and point at the light. Never had a taker yet.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:19 AM

Not all us Mustang boys are so bad. We've got two Evo's in our group. As well as a twin turbo Supra and a turbo'd Honda Civic Hatchback (in addition to like 10 Mustangs and Camaros, 1 being an '04 Cobra and me having the only Mach 1)

That Mach 1 won't be a pushover, but if he's stock too, it'll be close. I wouldn't try the Cobra bone stock which I assume you are. Those things aren't all that much faster than a Mach 1 top end, but the second they change the pulley on it... good bye! Still a stock Cobra with a good driver are hitting mid 12's. My friend Justin ran a 12.68 bone stock and then ran an 11.77 after changing the pulley and a K&N drop in air filter!

I'm happy with my 13.081 still being NA
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:38 AM
SK

Originally Posted by o4whtevors
well guys ive had my car for 1 month now and all my old mustang buddies are haters now. i riffled through there cars like nothing beating all i have raced so far lol. the only two left are a 04 mach 1 and an 04 cobra(the cobra is going to be tough, need to get some mods before that one happens). there saying they want to ban me from the group, what a bunch of sore losers. all i can say to them is long live the 4g63 and the 4 door grosery getter
Are these friends your neighbor or a group of people you met in a car club?

True friends won't dissed you just because you drive a different make/model. Racing between friends is suppose to be fun & lighthearted. Real friends would congrats & compliment each other for having nice toys. If they want to ban you just because you have something nicer or different then these are not "friends", they're just people you know.

Last edited by SK; Dec 14, 2004 at 09:41 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

The good news is a stock Cobra and Sti ran the same quarter time in some Hot Rod mag. So you have a chance. A slim one but still a chance.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thedread
The good news is a stock Cobra and Sti ran the same quarter time in some Hot Rod mag. So you have a chance. A slim one but still a chance.
I know exactly what you're talking about... it put the Cobra owners in an uproar about that. Equal drivers that should never happen.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

The nice thing about the Mustang is you can hammer it all day. RWD is a heck of lot easier on the transmission than AWD. I own a Subaru and I've owned Mustangs. I would never drive my Subaru or an Evo the way I'd drive a Mustang. The transmission wouldn't last a month. Regardless, the new Mustang is one of the nicest looking cars on the road. They did a great job with the design. Far better looking than anything Subaru or Mitsubishi has ever put out.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

i encountered a cobra in the freeway. i got owned
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kordwood
The nice thing about the Mustang is you can hammer it all day. RWD is a heck of lot easier on the transmission than AWD. I own a Subaru and I've owned Mustangs. I would never drive my Subaru or an Evo the way I'd drive a Mustang. The transmission wouldn't last a month. Regardless, the new Mustang is one of the nicest looking cars on the road. They did a great job with the design. Far better looking than anything Subaru or Mitsubishi has ever put out.
Well... the transmission for the V6, GT and Cobras work great... but they made the mistake of putting the same tranny in the Mach 1 that's in the GT... mine's already been rebuilt under warranty with about 12,000 miles on the ODO... they should have gave it the 6 speed T-56 that's in the Cobras IMO
Old Dec 14, 2004, 12:31 PM

Them new supercharged cobra's are fast.. and crazy fast with just minor mods.
I raced one with my stock 05 STi. I was cruising home with my friend in his brand new 350z following me. I checked my rear view mirror to make sure he was still behind me and I see some head lights flying up behind me. As he pulls up next to me I hear this sick supercharger whining with a low but loud rumble...Thats nt my friend in his 350z. I look to my left and see a pretty black new Cobra and the driver staring at me. The driver nods his head and revs the Corbra like he wants to race... well the road we were on was long, but i know that road has quite a few curves. We were doing the speed limit when he nodded, just about 40mph. I nodded back pushed in the clutch, stomped on the gas.. waited.. he let that supercharger rip. I let the clutch out and we were rolling. His nose pulled in front of mine just by about 5 feet. We got to the first slight bend (i was on the outside lane and were were goin left), i started to gain back on him. Another little straight and we were neck and neck. A couple more twisties and back to another straight, and I was now the one with a nose ahead. We got to about 90mph and he was pulling on me, and started passing me there was a red light coming up so we both started to slow down. We probably barely exceeded 100mph, but if we kept going he would've walked me down.
I traded in my 05 Sti for and 04 EV0 gsr. And the EVo is definetly not as fast as the STi (on straights). So stock for stock with decent drivers it would be close with a good launch from a dead stop. From a rolling start theres no way. Evo doesnt have enough bottom end torque, and gearing a little too long.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

i wont say it's sore

since they are your friends you should drive with respect around them

so they dont get pissed off when you burn them
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

one of them is a good friend ive had for years(we grew up together), the others are well i thought frends but i guse not.like you said the one ive nown for years doesent have a problem with it but the others sertanly do. im not sure what my car would run in the quarter stock, alot of the mags i read before buying the car said the rs was quicker than the regular evo viii but by how much varied from mag to mag. i would hope for motortrends 13.2 but who knows.