Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

White marks on hood

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White marks on hood

I apologize if this has been asked already, but when I did a search I didn’t see anything about it.

I purchased a 2005 Red Evolution RS almost two weeks ago. When I picked the car up the service department manager came out and began to explain to me that there are white marks on the hood. Mind you I had not even been able to get up close to my car because they were cleaning it when I arrived. They told me these marks, (which look like milk was spilled on the car and left to dry), came from the plastic that is placed on the cars when they are shipped to help protect them. While in transit the plastic can peel enough to make a pocket and water will get in and sit between the plastic and the hood. This causes the color from the plastic to bleed onto the hood of the car. They said to leave the car out in the sun and after a few months the marks will fade. If they don’t then I can bring it back and they will fix it. I went and looked at every other red EVO on the lot, (because they said it only happened with the red paint.), and they all had these same marks. Mine were the worse and cover a large portion of the front of the hood.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, will the marks really go away after a few months in the sun? Is this because the hood is aluminum? I know, I know there is paint between the aluminum and the marks, but I have to ask. I live in New Hampshire so I don’t get a lot of sunny days in a row right now, so I’m wondering how long this is going to take or if the "sun fix" even works.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would just tell themto fix it, no one wants a new car with white spots on the hood for a few months...thats pretty long
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:50 AM

Yeah, I actually tried that and they told me Mitsubishi would not replace the hood until it had been a few months and the "sun thing" didn't work. This whole let it bake in the sun came from Mitusbishi.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Um, in a couple words HELL NO! Tell them to buff the car or they can keep it! Thats total horse shizzle!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Wow thats wierd, I actually live in New Hampshire too. Just bought a 2003 Red Evo from Manchester Mitsubishi, Has the same white spots on the hood, Looks like dried milk or serious spray paint over spray. Dealership said they would take care of it and have it all buffed out. Im going up this Friday, ill let you know how it turns out.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:41 AM

That sounds pretty weird. could be true, but pretty weird. They ought to be able to buff it or clay it out. I'd be a little skeptical. Make sure you get it in writing if you choose to take the car. I've never heard of plastic stains. The first thing that came to mind when you said there were milky marks on the hood, it make me think of lime stains that people get when they park there car in a garage and the rain water runs though the cement and onto the hood. That can be removed, but the longer it stays there, the more difficult it can be to get off.

Don't know man, it's an awfully strange explanation and if it's a lie, it's fairly creative. Based on that, I would say it's probably true. That being said, I'm not sure I want my "new" car looking like that. Not sure I'd want to pay full price - and you're P&S is contingent upon the car being in "new" condition, I am sure.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Ya, I have that but mainly on my sunroof. But if you can't stand it, I would take it back and let them buff it out. Hell, the dealership should make you happy.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet ..
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

have you alrady pick up the car yet

if not try another dealer around the area

and check oput their car
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

i agree with Def z, get it in writing, I too have never heard of this happening before but u never know. If I was u I'd get it in writing and if they wont then tell them to fix it now cuz mit is known for screwing people if you let them.