Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Battery drained or what happen???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery drained or what happen???

K i was jump startin gf's uncle's car and i turned the car off with our jumper cables will connected to eat other didnt know he was tryna start his car while my car is off. So later after we d/c the jumper cables, my car wont start. It doesnt even crank. it just clicks when i try to start it. SO i call a buddy of mine he tells me to do something called pop starting. Basically i put the car in 1st, hold clutch, had someone push it from behind and when i had a good roll, i let off the clutch slightly as i cranked the key and it would bog so i gave it gas and boom started up. Left it on for about 5 min. came back turned it off. same deal...clicking. so friend says to "pop start' it again and leave it on and let idle for nearly an hour. Will this work? Did the battery drain? i'm guessing yea and i need to idle it so alternator can charge it?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't pop start an evo. Yea you can start a car like that but I don't think it is very healthy. Your battery probably needs a good charge. Borrow or purchase a battery charger or you may just need a new battery. Please don't pop start your evo.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I would say you need to drive it around for a while once you get it started. As the other guy said I wouldn't pop-start it I would get someone else to jump you then drive it for a while.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

i tried jumping it, it wouldnt do crap. it just clicks the same. Maybe its the starter? what do u guys suggest, try jumping it again? What method should i use, i just gave the other car some gas while tryna start my evo and NOTHING. just clicking
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

batteries can go anytime, just get a new battery and be done with it
Old Dec 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

It really sounds like you drained the hell out of the battery. It may not want to hold a charge anymore. I would first just let it charge for a good 30min to an hour and if it still doesn't hold a charge get a new battery... If that don't work maybe your alternator is ****ed but I doubt it.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Dude if it just clicks even if you jumped it. Then it's your starter that gave out.

This is old school but ....have somebody turn the key on the start position and smack the starter with a hammer lightly. See if it starts.

Or I see your still under warranty, just take it to the dealer.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Dude if it just clicks even if you jumped it. Then it's your starter that gave out.

This is old school but ....have somebody turn the key on the start position and smack the starter with a hammer lightly. See if it starts.

Or I see your still under warranty, just take it to the dealer.

That was funny
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

yeah my friend told me to try smacking the starter but i cant get to it without taking off undertray which is a *****! and it rained and its all muddy all over. This is what tha **** i get for tryna help people!. I'm not gonna get a new battery its not necessary cuz it started. All im gonna do is try jumping it wit another car, or else no choice but to pop start and drive it for a bit and let it charge otherwise im gonna try to smack the starter.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

why would a starter give out outta nowhere for? Only thing i can diagnose that went wrong is that he tried jumping his car with my car off. PRobably draining the battery. But my lights/radio and all that work fine.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RalliArtEvoVIII
why would a starter give out outta nowhere for? Only thing i can diagnose that went wrong is that he tried jumping his car with my car off. PRobably draining the battery. But my lights/radio and all that work fine.
Well, my starter motor died three days after I drove it home from the dealer. I also heard a small click, but the engine never turned. My warning lights turned on and everything, but the motor simply never turned..

The head of the service dept. said he'd never had to replace a starter motor for the Evo, and so he and his team spent three hours searching for the cause of the problem. They were convinced it had nothing to do with the starter, but in the end they had to replace the whole thing. It wasn't a big deal, it was all fixed under warranty.

Do you see the warning lights turn on? If not, most likely it's your battery..

If they turn on when you turn the key (headlights and all), have a dealer check it out before you go out to buy a whole new battery.

Last edited by timllam10386; Dec 14, 2004 at 04:00 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

im NOT gonna buy a new battery. My cars not under warranty, its expired. Too much driving racked up my miles. So now i have to look into a new starter if this doesnt work out. How much for new starter w/ install?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

answer to ur post, no no lights, no CEL light no nothing just CLICK CLICK CLICK everytime. Right now i had no choice...pop started it and its idling bout to drive it for about 20 more minutes to see if the alternator is able to charge.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

RalliartEvo,

By any chance you have autostart on your ride ?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Here's another trick that might work.

You say it just clicks one time as you turn the key right ?

Try turning the key numerous times like click...click...click...click... till it finally catches momentum and she'll turn over and start. It still might work if it isn't that bad yet.
If it doesn't then your starter is really dead.

try it see if it works for you.

Quick Reply: Battery drained or what happen???