Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Concerns about my EVO....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004 | 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evilution8
kazzevo ive had that same noise in my clutch. when i downshift to say 2nd to make a turn. while releasing the clutch to accelerate it creaks for a second, then goes away. so far its only happened in the last few weeks when its been really cold. i think its because of the cold??? any advice is appreciated.
I think my car makes the same noise when its cold out. Does it almost sound like brakes squealing with a deeper tone coming from the clutch? Before I only got that sound downshifting in the cold once in awhile but last night I was reversing out of a parking spot and it make the same noise but like 20 times louder! While backing out it made the noise and when I went into 1 gear it made it with the same sound volume, but after driving out of my apartment parking lot the noise went away. Could there be a problem and should I get it looked at?
Old Dec 15, 2004 | 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

its not like a brake whine. its like a creak. like if you step on an old wood floor and it creaks, happens in a split second. this happens when its cold and im letting my clutch out. i dont downshift a lot at all. only when turning ill go down to 2 or 3rd whatever necessary. when braking to a stop i use the neutral and brakes necessary. this only happens when downshifting and re-accelerating, not during normal straight acceleration. also only once in a while when the clutch is coming out. cold weather???
Old Dec 15, 2004 | 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I get noise from the clutch or engine when I am at idle and release the clutch. When I engage the clutch the noise stops. It is really loud if I use the AC. Does anyone know what this maybe?
Old Dec 19, 2004 | 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by my3000gt
I get noise from the clutch or engine when I am at idle and release the clutch. When I engage the clutch the noise stops. It is really loud if I use the AC. Does anyone know what this maybe?
THOSE are my symptoms - cold or warm...
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 11:24 AM

I've also been experiencing the same thing. I'll be stopping by Mitsu for my check up soon. I'll address the issue and post a response [if any] here ASAP.

If anyone knows what causes this and any info we can all use, please post .
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by my3000gt
TO bearing
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

That is what I thought...TO Bearing. I will have Mitsubishi check it out when I take it in for my 10K service. Thanks LocoLT1 for your reponse.
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LocoLT1
TO bearing
That's what I was going to say:

"Three words, starts with a 'T', ends with a 'hrow out bearing'"

One of my favorite quotes, from Road&Track:

A guy writes and asks why in one issue, the Toyota Supra has a 7 second 0-60 time, when in the last it was 5.2 seconds.

"You missed a little word in the article; starts with a 'T', ends with an 'O'.
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
Hey fellas,

Recently, I have started to notice that when I am downshifting through the gears to come to a stop (5-4-3-2), a whining or creaking sound is heard as I let up on the clutch. I think it has to do with my clutch. BTW, I've never launch my car and have been driving manual for quite a while. The EVO is not my first manual.

Secondly, when I am on the highway driving at 70+ mph, the steering wheel shakes slightly. Is this normal? It's only at higher speeds and is not too bad. It just kinda concerns me. I wish it would stay completely still at all speeds.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks guys.

~fred
hmmm. Unless you can downshift and rev match perfectly, don't downshift at all and use your brake when coming to a complete stop. It is much easier and cheaper to replace brake pads which is there as a tool to use and stop the vehicle then to replace or repair your tranny.
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

the wining is your tranny.... it should be fine but it might be a syncro that is going, wich isnt really a big deal.

The shaking, or vibrations that you are feeling in the steering wheel are most likely from warped rotors. The stock brembo rotors are prone to warping and that would be the first thing i would check. If its not the rotors (and i would bet that it is the rotors) its either alignment or balancing issues.

happy boosting,
Taylor
Old Jan 20, 2005 | 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

rotors