Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Concerns about my EVO....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Concerns about my EVO....

Hey fellas,

Recently, I have started to notice that when I am downshifting through the gears to come to a stop (5-4-3-2), a whining or creaking sound is heard as I let up on the clutch. I think it has to do with my clutch. BTW, I've never launch my car and have been driving manual for quite a while. The EVO is not my first manual.

Secondly, when I am on the highway driving at 70+ mph, the steering wheel shakes slightly. Is this normal? It's only at higher speeds and is not too bad. It just kinda concerns me. I wish it would stay completely still at all speeds.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks guys.

~fred
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

does the shaking get worst when you brake at high speeds? if so, then it might be the rotors getting warped.
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

wheel/tire balance problem? or alignment? did you check either?
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

I have to agree with KevinD on that one, probably a wheel out of balance, especially if you live where there are bumpy roads
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

My steering wheel shakes lightly if I hold it with only four fingers (like I'm pinching it). If I hold it with my hands (like I normally do) I feel no vibrations and the shake is not noticable. Once I got some bad shake after I applied the brakes lightly and it kind of freaked me out. However after some repeated brake use it went away.
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSGuy
Recently, I have started to notice that when I am downshifting through the gears to come to a stop (5-4-3-2), a whining or creaking sound is heard as I let up on the clutch. I think it has to do with my clutch. BTW, I've never launch my car and have been driving manual for quite a while. The EVO is not my first manual.

i hear the same noise.....any input anyone?
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

I get some shaking if i'm braking from a high speed..?
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna go to the tire shop tommorow and check to make sure the tires and wheels are correctly balanced. I'm also going to check the alignment. I don't think it's my rotors b/c the car is only 5 months old.
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting to hear about the clutch noise, I'm guessing the throwout bearing. Rumor has it that it's cheap.

Anyway, wheel vibration can be a number of things. One thing that's more unique to the Evo is the buildup of brake pad material on the wheels themselves. This is cured by more braking; it comes and goes.

However, more likely is uneven wear of your tires. If they're the stock Advans it's even more likely. Have a tire shop check into it. Make sure you're rotating your tires every 5K miles. The rubber is VERY soft and adverse wear sets in quickly with non-neutral alignments. This is happening alot to those putting alot of highway miles on their cars.

You may have thrown a wheel weight but that's highly unlikely. Again, a tire shop can check that.

Back to the tire wear: run the flat of your hand (palm) over the inner corner of your front tires along the curve of the tire. See if you can feel a non-round shape. That can happen and is called "cupping". It can happen from improper toe settings which an alignment can address. Negative camber in the front tires isn't a real problem unless a) it's extreme, b) one drives ALOT of highway miles or, c) ramps and turns aren't taken aggressively to even out the straight line driving.

Sorry this is droning on - one more tire wear possibility: long-term improper inflation.

On the Evo - check your tires often - ESPECIALLY if you're running softer compounds!

Good luck and let us know!
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Hey fellas,

Secondly, when I am on the highway driving at 70+ mph, the steering wheel shakes slightly. Is this normal? It's only at higher speeds and is not too bad. It just kinda concerns me. I wish it would stay completely still at all speeds.

~fred
You know what???

I never downshift anymore.

If I'm coming to a stop I just put it in neutral and coast to a stop.

It's a lot easier to change your breaks/pads than it is the fix your tranny.

Why do you need to engine brake? What's the point?

I also don't downshift when I drop a a gear. I usually blip the throttle (rev match) when dropping down.

In fact I pretty much heel toe all the time.

Habits from the track I suppose...
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

kazzevo ive had that same noise in my clutch. when i downshift to say 2nd to make a turn. while releasing the clutch to accelerate it creaks for a second, then goes away. so far its only happened in the last few weeks when its been really cold. i think its because of the cold??? any advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 14, 2004 | 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=RSGuy]Hey fellas,

Recently, I have started to notice that when I am downshifting through the gears to come to a stop (5-4-3-2), a whining or creaking sound is heard as I let up on the clutch.

- never heard of that. does it happen all the time?

- just a slightly off alignment
Old Dec 15, 2004 | 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Hey fellas,

~fred
steering wheel shake could prolly be fixed with an align. check
why do you down shift each gear when you stop?
use gear break only when it's needed i usually break whith which ever gear i'm in when sometimes drop to 2nd right b4 it stop then first while the car in not moving
Old Dec 15, 2004 | 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Steering wheel shake (when driving at 70+ mph) is most likely related to wheel/tire balance.
Old Dec 15, 2004 | 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Try not to downshift too many gears. If I am driving in 4th gear and when I come to a red light I just pop it in 3rd and then keep it there until I stop. BTW I always tap the gas slightly to raise the rpm before I downshift so it doesnt jerk as much. I only tap the gas if the gear im in is at a high rpm before I donwshift is because the car wont jerk as bad when I do let off the clutch pedal.

Quick Reply: Concerns about my EVO....