Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Downshifting Noise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avengerhed
almost, you're right about double clutching, only you want to let the clutch up when the stick is in neutral, otherwise its no different than just sliding right from 3rd to 2nd and then rev-matching...with the clutch depressed, the rev-matching does nothing for the transmission, only rasises the engine revs

try

1. push in the clutch
2. put the car in neutral
3. let out the clutch
4. rev up (500 - 1000 rpm, depending on gear, speed, purpose of shift)
5. clutch in
6. put the car in the lower gear
7. clutch out

it will save your synchros and your clutch parts, and it leaves you in a better rev range for accellerating

My technique removes your step 3 and 5. Try reving with clutch "in." It's much faster
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hehe but then "technically" its not "double"clutching, its "single clutching"
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
My technique removes your step 3 and 5. Try reving with clutch "in." It's much faster
haha, i know its faster...and its a good way to rev match the engine, but it doesnt spin up the synchros, which is part of the reason you rev match...if i am downshifting (say from 4th to 3rd at 25mph) then i won't necessarily double clutch...i'll use your method and everything is just fine.... at higher RPMs and speeds double clutching (clutch in-out-in-out) saves the synchros and other clutch components.

Originally Posted by illegalakkord
hehe but then "technically" its not "double"clutching, its "single clutching"
bingo.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

My car has a sound like you are describing. Its only during down shifting, and seems to be louder if you don't rev match. You don't have to be going fast either. As soon as the clutch grabs it stops. I've looked around the forums and asked people about it and have concluded that its probably the throw out bearing bearing out. I have 19k on my car.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

The sound is sort of a mid tone whining noise. Not sure what to compare it to.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

for me its not a whine like the snycrhos. its a distinctive creak. like an old wood floor. stops right away. i have 19,xxx on stocker clutch maybe a throwout bearing. i wont worry about it until the clutch doesnt work then hello ACT. clutch warranty is until 15K miles right??? in which case i wont have one.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

My mother's clutch in her 328ic makes the same noise releasing the clutch on occasion. Hers is directly related to the clutch pedal and piston moving in and out and has nothing to do with the tranny and doesn't affect performance in any way. Just an observation.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Im going to make an appointment to get it checked. Im just afraid they will joyride and beat on the car to reproduce the noise that I am experiencing. I guess I'll bring it in the afternoon when there is a lot of traffic.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Im going to make an appointment to get it checked. Im just afraid they will joyride and beat on the car to reproduce the noise that I am experiencing. I guess I'll bring it in the afternoon when there is a lot of traffic.
let them have you drive it, or, ask if you can ride with them...i know not all dealerships will allow these options, but its worth a try.

personally, i have the same worry when bringing my car anywhere (that's why i got tires/wheels from tire rack instead of a local tire shop). my dealer has an "Evo tech" that drives/works on all the Evos that roll in. That made me feel a little bit better, thinking, "maybe this isn't just some guy that has never driven an evo before and as such, beats the crap out of it."
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Do you plan to bring it to the Mitsubishi dealership in your area?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

I Agree! Save the tranny wear when downshifting, Use your brakes, cheaper to replace than tranny/clutch parts.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oguratevo
I Agree! Save the tranny wear when downshifting, Use your brakes, cheaper to replace than tranny/clutch parts.
what makes you think that downshifting causes any more engine/tranny/clutch wear than accelerating?

as long as you do it right (double clutching and rev matching), downshifting to slow or prepare for a turn is totally fine.

Last edited by avengerhed; Dec 16, 2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

hkfeet good luck let us know what they say youre not the only one w/ this noise!!!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:35 PM

I have the same thing you guys are talking about. This just happened after about 24K miles. I currently have 29K. I do not get this noise on every down shift, just once in a while. Do any of you guys get a vibration for that 1 second in your clutch pedal also?
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I just recently had my clutch replaced at 17k (ACT HDSS awesome clutch), but before i got it done, when i would let out the clutch from 3-2 ,it would make a humming noise if i didnt rev match..not too loud, but it's there. I dont know if thats what your noise is, but i asked the mitsu tech about it when he replaced my clutch and he said it was probably because the surface of the clutch was somewhat warped and smoothed out and that the sound was an audible slipping noise of the clutch when it tried to grip when letting it out in 2nd.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Noise