Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Downshifting Noise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downshifting Noise

Recently I mastered the art of heal/toe shifting on my 03 evo. However, at 4k miles I am hearing a short whine when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd without rev matching(not at high rpms). Sometimes I dont rev match when I am slowing down and then accerlating again. The noise is new, and it only lasts when the gear is engaged compeltely. Its not a decel noise everyone is experiencing, just only when I am downshifting. Would this be a clutch issue or my transmission?

I talked to a service rep and he told me I should bring it in to get it looked at. The thing is, is this really a serious problem? Regardless I will bring it in, might as well since I have warranty, and I dont track the car, nor do I launch the car like crazy.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 05:52 PM

I'm not quite sure either... I hear that noise when I am downshifting also
Old Dec 15, 2004, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

im just beginning to think i shoulda got a supra to begin with.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

sure downshifting is cool and all, but id rather pay for a new set of brakes then something that has to do with the tranny, try not to downshift as much
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

i have this noise too. just noticed it when it started getting really cold, thought it may have to do with the cold. anyway when im turning without stopping, this is the only time i really downshift, i shift down to second. match revs, and as i let off the clutch in second, it creaks on the way out, just for a second, then stops. happens almost every time i let off the clutch in a downshift, never in an upshift. throwout bearing???? cold weather???? time for new clutch??? dont know.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

i got it too
heard it could be the throwout bearing
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

if its whine that builds quickly as you are pushing the gear shift from one gear to another then its your synchros spinning up, and its normal.

you may hear the same thing if you are rolling in neutral at 5-10 mph and you put the clutch in and put pressure on the stick as if you want to shift into 1st...you'll hear the synchros for first gear spin up
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

I have no choice but to downshift when there is traffic. I live in the city. I dont downshift through the gears to a full stop.

Also, avengerhed, I see your point, that could be it, but this noise just happened at 4k miles. Maybe I should try to make a recording of the noise so you can hear how it sounds.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hkfeet
Also, avengerhed, I see your point, that could be it, but this noise just happened at 4k miles. Maybe I should try to make a recording of the noise so you can hear how it sounds.
i've noticed mine more at 6k miles, but it also coincides with the cold weather, so maybe that's it? i dunno where you live so weather may be a moot point.

try to record it if you can.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hkfeet
Recently I mastered the art of heal/toe shifting on my 03 evo. However, at 4k miles I am hearing a short whine when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd without rev matching(not at high rpms). Sometimes I dont rev match when I am slowing down and then accerlating again. The noise is new, and it only lasts when the gear is engaged compeltely. Its not a decel noise everyone is experiencing, just only when I am downshifting. Would this be a clutch issue or my transmission?

I talked to a service rep and he told me I should bring it in to get it looked at. The thing is, is this really a serious problem? Regardless I will bring it in, might as well since I have warranty, and I dont track the car, nor do I launch the car like crazy.
Tranny issue. RedLine Heavy Duty Shockproof will get rid of it. OR YOu need to double clutch your way down from 3rd to 2nd:

1)from 3rd - depress clutch and put car in neutral, leave clutch depressed.
2)rev match 2nd and shift into 2nd simultaneously (clutch still depressed)
3)let off clutch; give car gas.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

its not the synchros i can tell you that for sure. its a creak when the clutch is let out. clutch feels and works the same so i think ill just leave it for now. coming up on 20K miles on the stocker clutch.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
Tranny issue. RedLine Heavy Duty Shockproof will get rid of it. OR YOu need to double clutch your way down from 3rd to 2nd:

1)from 3rd - depress clutch and put car in neutral, leave clutch depressed.
2)rev match 2nd and shift into 2nd simultaneously (clutch still depressed)
3)let off clutch; give car gas.
almost, you're right about double clutching, only you want to let the clutch up when the stick is in neutral, otherwise its no different than just sliding right from 3rd to 2nd and then rev-matching...with the clutch depressed, the rev-matching does nothing for the transmission, only rasises the engine revs

try

1. push in the clutch
2. put the car in neutral
3. let out the clutch
4. rev up (500 - 1000 rpm, depending on gear, speed, purpose of shift)
5. clutch in
6. put the car in the lower gear
7. clutch out

it will save your synchros and your clutch parts, and it leaves you in a better rev range for accellerating
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

what gets me is that it only happens in that one instance. when downshifting to 2nd. i put it in neutral, match revs to 2nd, go into 2nd, then let off the clutch and give her some gas. as the clutch comes out it creaks. never happens in a 5th to 4th downshift, never happens in an upshift. never.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilution8
what gets me is that it only happens in that one instance. when downshifting to 2nd. i put it in neutral, match revs to 2nd, go into 2nd, then let off the clutch and give her some gas. as the clutch comes out it creaks. never happens in a 5th to 4th downshift, never happens in an upshift. never.
are you POSITIVE that your second gear synchros aren't causing the issue? Otherwise, i dunno, maybe a motor-mount creak?

EDIT - sorry, i just read that you are rev-matching and such...

do you have any reason to think that you no longer have a warranty? because if you are still covered, you may want to just take it in
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:08 AM

I had the same issue. I used redline MT-90 for my tranny. It only happened when i downshift from 3rd to 2nd. It sounded like a really quick whine or a creak and it goes away as soon as the clutch is let out. To this day, i still can't figure it out what the problem is. Maybe its the cold... i dunno. Hopefully its nothing serious.

Quick Reply: Downshifting Noise