Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question to MR owners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question to MR owners

I have noticed a few people selling/trading their EVOs for the MR. Was it worth it? Is their that much of a difference? This is my first EVO, so I can't make any comparisons.

Just kind of wondering.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:17 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's worth it if you have the $.

I came from an evo with a sunroof so it's not even comparable to my 03. The largest benefit on the MR is the bilistien shock, which is much better for everyday driving and best of all these shock does not compromise proformance Comparing the sunroof verison of the roof with an aluminum roof is a huge upgrade. I'm saving almost 50lbs on top? Six speed is nicer for every day driving but I don't have enough redline experience with this car to comment on the trans. I realize i feel the gears more on the 6-speed. If mitsubishi made the 2nd gear smoother and able to rush it, i'd perfer the 5-speed feel.

Everything else is pretty much all 05 has. Front LSD, ACD, and 10.5 hotside turbo is awesome. Feels like an STi now in terms of torque
Old Dec 14, 2004, 09:48 PM

I traded mine after a year of driving my '03 evo for 10K miles. The MR has been a real suprise to me. I have the utmost respect for my standard Evo but the MR has been awesome. The bilsteins definitely smooth the ride out while increasing grip which has been excellent. The 6 speed seems to keep you in-boost much more; I rarely feel like there is a dead spot in the gearing with the six speed.

The most dramatic change to me is the ACD and front LSD which all '05s have. Even if you don't want to fork out the cash for an MR I would strongly encourage you to drive an '05 to try out these changes. My first few times out in the car I was testing the limits of the car and wash astonished to see how much harder you can push it compared to my '03. Honestly I do not know the limits at this point as I have pushed it much harder than my '03 and it handles it all with such poise that I lack the nerve at this point to go much harder.

All in all I am extremely satisfied but I have no idea if it is an "MR" thing or an ACD/LSD thing.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gbpkr21
I have noticed a few people selling/trading their EVOs for the MR. Was it worth it? Is their that much of a difference? This is my first EVO, so I can't make any comparisons.

Just kind of wondering.
Gave up my '03 Evo(sunroof/large CF wing) for the MR, better ride street driving(bilsteins), understeer minimized on exiting corners(front LSD), lighter weight(Al roof, BBS rims)and ACD for different road conditions.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:00 AM

Well worth it. My brother in law has on 03. I've had mine for about two months now. The additions are minimal but what they did add makes a substatial difference. I personally like the bilstein shocks and the 6th gear. Makes for nice highway driving.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:12 AM

I traded an 03 GSR as well...

Smoother transmission and smoother ride are very nice...these are just daily driver things though...don't know what you are using the car for...
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

So far, I'm glad I traded in my '03. It's everything mentioned above plus the much better warranty, free maintanence, and what I hope in the long run will be better resale value due to its limited build numbers.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:54 AM

I have owned an o3 gsr and now drive an MR. From stock to stock there is substantial difference. The biggest is the new six speed which is much smoother and a bit shorter of a throw. I feel like I can't miss shift in an MR. Bilsteins do feel a litter better as for ride. I personally like the bbs wheels much better then the enkies. Personally i feel the Mr is overall a better car. Limited production. Is it worth the extra $4500. I'd say so......
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I've only owned the MR but I did drive my friends 04 GSR for a while and it is a bit different. I loved the new color the MR came in and liked the 6 speed plus the ride is a bit smother too so i decided to go with the MR. I say if you have the extra cash do it.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gmetal
Well worth it. My brother in law has on 03. I've had mine for about two months now. The additions are minimal but what they did add makes a substatial difference. I personally like the bilstein shocks and the 6th gear. Makes for nice highway driving.
How is that? The top gear ratios are the same
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

i want to tarde mine in for an MR due to the rareity of them, not for performance or anything else but they are limiting us to 1000 i think? And the graphote grey is sick !!!!

Still love my 04 wouldn't mind the MR