Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo vs sti potential

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sentinal
^ great post very imformative facts
Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

You can go ask the guys at imprezawrsti.com and NASIOC both sites are very helpful. I don't see as much flamin' posts over there either. Also all the 05 STIs come with indash 6CD and the interior has changes for the better. You can usually get a better deal on the STI from my experience. I dont know how they are about voiding warrantees for mods so you might want to ask the above mentioned forums. All you have to do is check some of the posts around here and some dealers* dont want you to mod the Evo at all. You can't really go wrong with either both are great cars. Good Luck with your purchase.

*I say check the local forum for your area and see which dealer doesn't mind you doing mods before taking the car in.

Last edited by mrdci; Dec 15, 2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie
im about to buy a used evo or sti and im still kind of not sure what to get, so i was wondering if yall could help me. so i have a few questions

1) which car can make more power for less money? say goal is 350ahwp factor in things like new clutch

2)which car is overall built better as far as tranny, bottom end, clutch, things like that.

3) which car can make more power period without doing things like lowering compression?
1.Definatly Evo
2.Not sure, depends on who u ask
3.in my opinon Evo is but thats my opinion.

What u should really do, dont take the basis of ur decision from an Evom or STi site, do ur own research from people who wont be bias and conclude ur decision from there.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

oh and JDM EVO very nicely done.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.evo
2.evo
3.evo

simple answers
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_EVOVIII
Facts:

STi
-less stress on the crank
-only can hold roughly 14psi on stock bottom end
-2.5L, more displacement than the 4G63 2.0L
-All aluminum motor, light, but not strong
-top mount intercooler, heat rises
-stock turbo is pretty much maxed out as far as boost
-rated more hp & tqe on paper and to the crank
-rated less hp & tqe on an AWD dyno where it counts than an EVO
-STi has been on the track in every magazine and has became 2nd to the EVO from anywhere from 1sec.-7sec. in track time
-Rear wing bends during highway speeds and produces more drag than downforce
-fast, you bet your A$$
-Active center diff.
-slightly larger rotors than the EVO VIII, few mm
-Cheaply designed Recaros, not very supportive
-No radio at all
-1 Model, only 1 way
-Crappy Clutch and a long throw
-To get to 350awhp, you will need to upgrade the turbo for sure. Already, your almost doubling your cost to that of an EVO VIII.

EVOLUTION VIII
-the 6-bolt 4G63 has been around since the late 80's, is very, very proven
-Iron block, aluminum head (strong as hell)
-Front Mount Intercooler for better cooling of the charged air
-Bottom end of the 4G63 can hold 450-500awhp and has been proven
-EVO handles better and has been proven in every mag
-Stock twin-scroll turbo produces 16-19psi, can raise to 22 safely with a BC on pump gas
-Stock internals are completely forged
-Hollow camshafts for reduced rotational mass, less stress on the valvetrain
-Open front diff., except on the MR
-slightly smaller rotors than the STi by a few mm.
-Fully Carbon Fiber Wing, very, very light and functional, doesn't flex at all!
-More supportive Recaro Racing Seats
-Stock CD player
-3 Models to choose from
-Lighter than the STi (RS that is)
-Prices vary from $26K-$34K Brand New depending what you want.
-Crappy Clutch, but a few guys in my club are pushing 350whp Dyno pruven with the stock clutch with only the following mods: Turbo Trix ECU Flash, Hallman MBC 21psi, Helix 3"DP, 3" custom straight CBE, 3" test pipe, HKS 264 cams, not even the 272's...349awhp/330awtqe

These are some things to look at when you are deciding what to go with. Test drive both, but here are the facts from both ends.

hope this helps.
Just a couple corrections to your post. The 4G63 in the EVO is a 7 bolt not a 6 bolt. The crank and rods are forged, the pistons are cast aluminum although very strong. All 05 models have a front LSD not an open diff. AMS has pushed the stock bottom end over 600hp. I would say 500whp is a safe bet. I agree that the STI block is not very strong compared to the 4G63, but it can handle a hell of a lot more boost than 14psi on the stock bottom end. The thing that makes the 4g63 so strong is not only the iron block, but the closed deck can withstand insane amounts of boost.

Last edited by 4cefedgst; Dec 15, 2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

ONLY thing i want outta the STi into the evo is =SUPER STRONG TRANNY DAMNIT!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:21 PM

JDM_EVOVIII what a great post, thanks man
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think both cars will easily out perform most drivers. The STi has a few more creature comforts and seems to hold up better in crash test safety...but by the slimmest of margins. The '05 Evo has reinforced door panels now though so it should fair better in the IIHS side-impact tests.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/...mall_front.htm

As far as modding potential, with the Evo the sky is the limit. With the 2.5L in the STi you have less options. However, 350awhp should be easily attainable with either car for relatively little money. It's when you wanna climb the ladder a little more that the STi guys have to get creative while the Evo guys have plenty of proven options at their fingertips. The STi tranny is apparently pretty robust, but so is the 5 speed Evo tranny. The STi comes from the factory with a stronger clutch though. If you're serious about putting the boostable limits of the stock block to test than the 4G63 is the best choice.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 11:47 PM

You can make good power with both cars, but the STi turbo will need to be upgraded when you hit ~ 350ish HP. It's too small to handle it. With the Evo it's the clutch. That I know of, those are the big hinderances to making big power.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

from what i have been reading latley becuase i own my evo and my best friend was about to get his and got a wild hair up his a$$ to go for an sti so i wanted to get facts before bashing on them..

basically what people are saying the sti turbo and pump and injectors are completly maxed at 350 of not less i got this from one of the sti forum mods

"Its not gonna be easy to get 340 whp without a snail upgrade...matter of fact, i cannot even imagine how u could achieve that kinda power without a snail upgrade...the vf39 is pretty much peaked out on boost and the injectors are the same...most u'll get with your proposed setup is ~310 whp, on some good octane..."

and all i can find about the evo is blad clutch clutch clutch and on thiers thier is a lot of posts about engines going and weird knocking sounds from the engine etc. close friend just bought one thinking they are more flexable with warrenty well get it a lil bit ago 10,000 miles later only an intake blew the engine and his warrenty was void due to his "aftermarket upgrades" only and intake so yeah im sure dif areas are different though

evoisdream
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wrxdrunkie,

From personal experience, I currently own a Eclipse GSX and a EVO MR but I had a 03 WRX for 2 years. Both the STI and the EVO are very capable but overall I can promise you that the aftermarket parts for the EVO are significantlly cheaper to buy for the simple fact that the 4g63 engine has been around for about 15 years and there is many aftermarket companies that specialize on parts for this engines.

Don't get me wrong, I found nearly 40 different turbo upgrades for my WRX and all kinds of exhaust, injectors etc, etc but now that I drive the EVO and look at the prices I find that upgrading power on the Mitsubishi is much cheaper.

That was just my opinion, I really like both cars, the STI has plenty of torque but the EVO engine is a marvelous reliable underated hp engine.

my .50c
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

/\ very good point forgot to say that thats a nice factor if you are looking for something to work on when i was checking prices all the exhausts seemed to be more expensive and to have the full u need an up pipe. and the cams u need 4 instead of 2 correct me if im wrong? but i would think if you are buying it just to have the car stock with warrenty a sti may be a better choice i know i get 100 times more looks in my evo then my buddy in his sti does i like fealing like i have a ferrari
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

the EVO is better if you're looking for 350 awhp.

BUT... a buddy of mine has an STI with an FP Green on it....he made 455 at the wheels and ran an 11.4 on pump gas.

that my friends......is f_cking sick
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

oh yeah...that was on a stock motor with bolt ons and an AEM.

Quick Reply: evo vs sti potential