Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo vs sti potential

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
really thats crazy u should tell him to post on that wrxsti forum thier one thats like evo m becuase guys thier say they havent seen a car like that ever
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rez90
the EVO is better if you're looking for 350 awhp.

BUT... a buddy of mine has an STI with an FP Green on it....he made 455 at the wheels and ran an 11.4 on pump gas.

that my friends......is f_cking sick
while impressive...thats not a dime a dozen for the subies. Evo's on the other hand are more common in the 11s... Then again 380whp will get you low to mid 11s on pump gas if you can drive good.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Subaru is gonna abandoned their 2.5L engine in the future and go for 3.0L. Thats what this one magazine said.
This means not many aftermarket parts for the 2.5L
Id rather get a wrx than a sti.
But if i had to decide between an evo and an sti. The evo wins!!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

yeah thats another thing to consider to is the wrx instead of the sti and put some work into it we have a buddy running around with a wrx with some work still spent a ton less then the sti and walks on sti's all day.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:47 PM

ya i have wrx, and the trannys are just to weak
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
yeah thats another thing to consider to is the wrx instead of the sti and put some work into it we have a buddy running around with a wrx with some work still spent a ton less then the sti and walks on sti's all day.
price out a new wrx, then a new sti.
take the difference and mod the wrx.
faster in a str8 line? probably
better for auto-x? maybe
motor that doesn't even like the 300 whp mark? still there
tranny that doesn't like the 300 whp mark? still there
clutch? bye bye

maybe you're talking a used wrx, but that makes the comparison apples to oranges.
sti is still a better car value than the wrx.

evo vs sti for 350 whp?
most likely cheaper in the evo.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cefedgst
Just a couple corrections to your post. The 4G63 in the EVO is a 7 bolt not a 6 bolt. The crank and rods are forged, the pistons are cast aluminum although very strong. All 05 models have a front LSD not an open diff. AMS has pushed the stock bottom end over 600hp. I would say 500whp is a safe bet. I agree that the STI block is not very strong compared to the 4G63, but it can handle a hell of a lot more boost than 14psi on the stock bottom end. The thing that makes the 4g63 so strong is not only the iron block, but the closed deck can withstand insane amounts of boost.
I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ABOUT THE 7-BOLT STUFF, because I've heard and read different. The numbers I gave are safely, not likely. I've only heard of the MR coming with a front LSD, not any others...I haven't confirmed this at the moment, but I'll check.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Evo8 has 7 bolt. Seen it and counted it.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Test drive them both drive the evo second since thats the one you will go home with..... i did.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

hrmm interesting facts on the wrx guess i dont know much about the wrx lol o well was just an idea!
Old Dec 16, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM_EVOVIII
I'LL HAVE TO CHECK ABOUT THE 7-BOLT STUFF, because I've heard and read different. The numbers I gave are safely, not likely. I've only heard of the MR coming with a front LSD, not any others...I haven't confirmed this at the moment, but I'll check.
Look at an EVO flywheel. There are 7 bolt holes.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

The Evo has a better tuned engine that is capable of more power. In other countries the STI has a 2.0 engine that is tuned to handle more power but because of the crappy gas in america they switched to a less tuned 2.5, I read about it in SCC when they ran a FQ 300 against a STI spec C.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Stock crank is forged. Stock pistons are hyperutetic, they are pretty strong though. We made 551 whp on the stock bottom end. We stopped at that point because Evo blocks are NOT easy to find and are not cheap so we didnt want to break a rod and destroy ours. Instead we ran a hone thru the block in the car, and dropped some stock bore Ross pistons and eagle rods in it and its STILL going to this day. Its since made almost 700 whp. The crank, main bearings, oil pump, and block have NEVER been removed from the car since Mitsu installed them. You cant even do that with an STI because of the design of the opposed 4.

The only thing I really like about the STI is the fact that the motor isnt mounted transversly.

Evo over STI anyday in my book. Much more capable car, plus I think the Evos build quality is better than the Subarus.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM_EVOVIII

The EVO's dont' suffer crankwalk like the 2g DSM's so what does it matter if it's a 6 bost or 7 bolt
Old Dec 17, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rez90
The EVO's dont' suffer crankwalk like the 2g DSM's so what does it matter if it's a 6 bost or 7 bolt
Thank you. I thought the whole point about mentioning the 4G63's existence back in the late 80's was just to say its proven and refined over the years, not that it was a 6 bolt.

Originally Posted by SpecC
I held 400whp on a stock JDM 6speed clutch for over 10k miles, that included about 50 launches..
But what about the USDM clutch? How is that a pertinent fact for someone buying a new STi or a new Evo?

Quick Reply: evo vs sti potential