Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rev Matching

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev Matching

Today my friend showed me how to rev match in his M3. I tried doing it in my Evo but wasn't so succesful... Can anyone give me advice on the proper way to rev match? How do you rev match in your evo? Be specific... let me know
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Since ive owned mine for a year now...i pretty much know what rpm to be at by heart when i rev-match

you just need to know rpms in certain gears at certain speeds...if you start shifting while looking at tacho, you'll learn them very soon (I dunno why but I just shift while looking at tach...since i've been doing that for year that's how i know the rpms at certain speed in certain certain gears by heart)

but if ur impatient..you can always write it down somewhere...like cruse in 1st gear and take note of what speed you're going at certain rpm or etc and try to memorize that...
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

For me it's just a "feel". When you get used to the difference in the rpm between different gears, it's really nice. Couple tricks, when downshifting, over-rev a bit (if you're not at redline, which you shouldn't be while downshifting...by over-rev, I mean go over the rpm you expect to be in...not over-rev the engine) and catch it on the way down. Since you're in the process of slowing, the rpm's dropping is smoother than trying to catch it at peak (or on the way up for that matter.) I did a lot of road-racing in my younger years, and smooth shifting was necessary (and double-clutching for that matter with the straight cut gears.) It just takes some time and patience. The easiest way to do it for me is in higher rpm's, as in low rpms I don't match as well. It's also easier for me when I'm braking as the pressure from braking minimizes the feel of the slight mismatches that occur when you let the clutch out (until you get a really good feel for the gears.) Take it easy when you do it, take your time, and it'll come.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I now shift between 6500 and 7000 with out looking down at the tach, also when slowing down, I use toe heel shifting (as seen in Best Motering videos).
Old Dec 15, 2004, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

I don't really look at the tach, just glance at it real quick and just do it. It's a matter of practice that's all.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are we talking about downshifting or upshifting? downshifting, i usually just pop it in neutral and cruise to a stop.. but that's cuz i don't like heel/toeing unless i need to... but coming to a stop? kinda takes too long for me for upshifting, i just give the throttle a little blip as i shift...

or are we talking about popping it in gear when you've been riding the clutch or neutral? if that's the case, just take note of how your engine should sound/feel at speed... then you'll know how high up you need to match by sound.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

You need to learn how much to blip at whatever rpm. Each gear is spaced at around 500-800rpm apart, so depending on speed and load you can practicing bliping. Try to do it quickly so you don't lose too many rpm.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always rev-match when downshifting by blipping the throttle. Usually I'll heel-toe down through the gears (down to 2nd) when rolling to a stop/red light. It's good practice for the track. Actually I think heel-toeing at the track is a bit easier because you don't have to blip so lightly. Not to mention that I'm wearing my racing shoes rather than big walking shoes.

I'll downshift to 3rd when driving on to a freeway interchange--partly so the engine braking will bleed off just a bit of speed, but mainly so that I can react quickly when entering the freeway.

I'll shift by "feel" (sound) rather than by watching the tach. I have a T-Sport F1-style shift light installed as well though normally in day-to-day driving I won't rev high enough light it up. Basically when you're downshifting you need to have a feel for the revs of the old gear, and the new gear you're shifting into. If you're shifting from low revs in one gear, down one gear, you need a little blip; if you're shifting from medium revs in one gear, down one gear, you need a bigger blip. If you're downshifting by two gears, you also need a bigger blip. If you do it right things will feel very smooth--no bucking or jerking when you let the clutch back out.

Last edited by vtluu; Dec 15, 2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Whenever I downshift, I just press the clutch and blip the gas about 1000 rpms up and feather the clutch and the gas into a smooth transition
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an aftermarket clutch (WORKS CK2) which is very "grabby" so there's not much point feathering it. Well, that's not entirely true, I do ease the pedal back out as much as I can but generally I shift very quickly. Quick but smooth is the key I guess.

I think you should avoid the habit of looking at your tach when downshifting. At the track, you're typically pretty busy when you're downshifting--coming up fast on a turn typically. You'll want your vision and attention focused on the track ahead, other cars, etc., and that means not looking at your instrument cluster. Get shift lights if you want to know when you're coming up on the rev limit.

Last edited by vtluu; Dec 15, 2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone double-clutch anymore?

typically when down shifting i will:

1. push in the clutch
2. put the car in neutral
3. let out the clutch
4. rev up (500 - 1000 rpm, depending on gear, speed, purpose of shift)
5. clutch in
6. put the car in the lower gear
7. clutch out

this seems like a lot of steps but you can really do it quickly, and although its not a necessary downshifting technique anymore (many people will say "thats what you have synchros for") it does preserve the synchros, as well as some of the clutch components and i feel that it leaves you and the engine better prepared to haul off, if the situation allows.

just my $.02
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

I'm with you avengerhed, but many people are more concerned with rev-matching...and it's really not necessary to double-clutch a car with syncro's. After racing, I got quite used to the double-clutch, and it takes no time to do when you get used to it...so yea, I'm a double-clutcher and heel-toer, but it's not as necessary in street cars as it is in straight-cut gear cars (or if you happen to drive semi's.)
And the steps were a nice illustration in case people that don't know how want to give it a go.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverCOEvo
I'm a double-clutcher and heel-toer, but it's not as necessary in street cars as it is in straight-cut gear cars
haha, its funny you should mention that. the guy that taught me how to drive stick has a '30-something chevy truck with "square cut gears" you need to rev match and double clutch all the time to keep that beast from grinding. And, considering the brakes are up to the 1930s standards, it is important to downshift as you slow down.