Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stock seat broke

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock seat broke

I'm sitting in the driver seat & I reach over to unlock the passenger rear door and the plastic seat backing cracks in half.... wtf!

anyone else experience this?

assuming its a weird fluke.

tia
Old Dec 17, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

damn that sucks. i could totally see how that could happen too. mine slightly squeeks everything now and then when weight is shifted to a certain angle, but i actually haven't noticed it for a while now. i remember someone made a post similar to yours and he was able to get it replaced under warranty.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

ive read of it happen to more than a few people. i think that plastic piece cost about $400 from mitsu. try searching, there was a thread about it not to long ago.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

are you a big boy?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine , no prob (leather), but maybe i'lll lose weight anyway just so i make sure my seat don't break.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

make sure u don't have an exhaust, or it will definately void your seat warranty..... :P
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Or intake, they might not cover it for intake either!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

make sure you used the "official" Mitsubishi Motor Company interior cleaner, they might not cover Armor All. They might say the plastic broke, cause armor all doesn't have the correct formula for keeping plastic backing of the seat strong.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrbkkt1
make sure you used the "official" Mitsubishi Motor Company interior cleaner, they might not cover Armor All. They might say the plastic broke, cause armor all doesn't have the correct formula for keeping plastic backing of the seat strong.
Better yet, just say that you had the mitsu techs install the "official" Mitsubishi Motor Company interior cleaner. then you might have a shot @ a replacement
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:26 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
best yet use the the power lock button
Old Dec 18, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BrownPoop
I'm sitting in the driver seat & I reach over to unlock the passenger rear door and the plastic seat backing cracks in half.... wtf!

anyone else experience this?

assuming its a weird fluke.

tia
It happened to me, and a few other people on the board.
I hope you still have a warranty, cause its an $1800 part. Also, it takes mitsu about 4 hours to change out the old one (even tho its listed as a 1/2 hour job)

For me, it was a 20 degree morning and I leaned back to grab my CD-binder off of the back seat when it snapped...I am actually on my 3rd seatback since mitsu broke the 2nd one while installing it . The newest part is actually a different plastic and they have pre-ordered me a new passenger side seatback to match...the service rep said they have had quite a few snap in the winter time.

good luck
Old Dec 18, 2004, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

lol.... funny, $1800 for a molded piece of plastic.

I am not that big of a boy!

It was cold the morning my seat back broke too, wondering if they got a bad mix of plastic for the seat backs and are extra fragile during really cold weather... hmm

I am sure warranty will cover it.

btw - evodave - powerlocks are for pussies.. =P

BP out...
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up

Happened to me, all of a sudden it just snapped. Fortunatly I have a good dealer, and they are replacing the seat even though I have 5000 miles on the car, a turbo timer, a boost gauge, and at the time they looked at it an injen intake w/intercooler hardpiping. not a long list of mods, but they didn't even pay attention to them. Vercom mitsu in berlingame CA. They take care of their ****. The guy that looked at it didn't like it, he kept saying "Damn, thats 1800 bucks, damn" but they still ordered a new one, and I am awaiting arrival now.

Try taking it back to the dealer, the only thing they could say is "the warrenty is void cuz your fat" and I doubt they will say that. No seat should break, but I hear it happens often. the evo seat is just not meant to flex I guess.

Last edited by twEeker; Dec 18, 2004 at 11:25 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:45 PM

This happened to me also. So dealer ordered a seat back and when it came it was jacked also.So now they ordered a complete seat and so I wait!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 11:50 PM

Crap. They ordered a seat back, but hasn't gotten here yet. Hopfully it's not messed up. The squeaking sound from when I run over bumps and the clicking noise when I get in and out really annoyes me.

Quick Reply: stock seat broke