Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Snow Tires v All Season

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2004, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires v All Season

I only have the stock Advan's on right now and live in Chicago so winters are not horrible but there can be a decent amount of snow. Is it better to get Ultra High perfomrance All Season tires or Winter Performance tires? I was looking at the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S which are $127/tire and are Ultra High performance tires with good dry, wet, and handling ratings and a snow traction rating of 7.4 (according to Tire Rack). My question is whether this is good enough to get around in the snow still, and the only reason i don't want to get snow tires and not all seasons is because i will need to change them again when the snow stops and i only have one the stock rims for now so its a pain in the ***. Or is it worth paying the extra and getting snow tires? Also, are these Pirellis any good? Has anyone had experience with them? Also, there are Kuhmo's which i read a lot of people have been getting which are like $92/tire (ASX's i think), are they any good and is it bettern to just get those as opposed to the Pirellis and save the money? Thanks.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 08:08 PM
choad

Coninental Extreme Sports are the way to go..
Cheap and do the job fo sho..

Good luck. Snowing right now!!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Get the Pirelli's, they are awesome in the snow. I have them and they are better then the Conti's in the dry. The side walls on the Conti's are very soft. Nothing will compare to the Advans but the Pirelli Pzero nero M+S will get the job done in the snow and give good traction and handling in the dry and wet.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 02:28 AM

I just put the P Zero Neros on about a week ago. No snow in NY/LI yet so I can't comment on snow performance but they are excellent in the rain and pretty good in the dry. You can feel that the sidewalls are less stiff than the Advans, but overall the steering and handling are not as different as I was expecting. Nothing all-season will compare to the Advans, but I think the Pirellis are a good compromise. I was also looking at the Pilot Sports, but at $191 vs. $127 per tire, I decided to go with the Pirellis and I'm happy with them. Do not drive your car in the snow with the Advans, it is truly dangerous!

Take care,
Franc
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Pirelli Wintersport 210's on and they are FANTASTIC in snow / ice so far. There's been some mild snow here and it's been like driving on dry traction. They are a great tire, I highly recommend them.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove the pirellis last night in chicago. Worked great. Dry traction was much better than I expected.

d
Old Dec 19, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3lachsilber

Much agreed. I'm in michigan and these tires have been excelent. Just waiting for some snow drifting courses
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:29 AM

thanks a lot guys. i ordered the pirellis and i figure unless its a blizzard outside i can manage and this way i dont need to sacrifice too much of the evo's handling abilities come spring.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AvatarOfWar
I have the Pirelli Wintersport 210's on and they are FANTASTIC in snow / ice so far. There's been some mild snow here and it's been like driving on dry traction. They are a great tire, I highly recommend them.
Has anyone heard of Nokian WR's. They are the best all-season tires in the world. You can see them here---http://www.nokian.com/passengercars_...name=NOKIAN+WR . Theyre not cheap at around $250 per tire. But you definately are getting THE best tire available

Last edited by 4G63; Dec 19, 2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Move to Florida...
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ thats where i am at!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

i have the pirilli 210 snowsport... awesome in the snow!

only crappy thing was i got a bubble in one of the tires last winter-- only maybe 3000 miles on them.. so i had to buy one to replace it for this winter.
other than that (which was prolly my fault anyways) they are great tires!!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M3lachsilber

Good Tire, but one that is even better--

Falken Zeix 512

Awesome ultra high performance all season tire.