Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My EVO Vs. 03 modded Cobra.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet jesus that is alot of love into the evo. great race good kill
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

AvatarifWar... its been a while since i seen you in the evo forums... my cobra figures are based on my friend's mods on his and he ran 11.4 with the mods i posted but i forgot to add the bfg drag radials so add a couple hundred but it still takes a lot less to take a cobra into the 11s than an evo... you guys should remember my friend since he posted in this forum a while back... he was the one that argued with a bunch of evo owners here when he posted his 11s s4 vs an 11s red evo
Old Dec 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
Impressive kill...

Repeat after me, folks...THE EVO IS NOT A DRAG CAR...THE EVO IS NOT A DRAG CAR...
Here we go again . Stop placing a handicap on the EVO, the EVO is a car that can do anything, and that includes drag racing. The EVO is a great drag car, AWD dumb f*ck, that has be an awesome advantage when it comes to drag racing. Anyways the EVO (in the hands of a good driver) does not cost too much to hit the 11s, $2500-$3000 can get you into the 11s (with race gas). You will hit a 11.8-11.9@114-117MPH. For the higher trap speeds (which means a more powerful EVO), you'll need to spend alittle more dough or upgrade the turbos. Most Cobras cost around $800 to $1,500 to hit 11s. Again for higher traps you'll need to spend more dough. So yeah it can be less expensive to hit 11s with the Cobra, but your talking about a car that has been dynoed as high as 390WHP stock (the Cobra is suppose to make 390HP flywheel, yeah right) and can run mid to high 12s all day on stock tires and trap over 110MPH stock. So yeah it should be pretty damn easy to get into the 11s. Still it is relatively inexpensive to get the EVO when you think about it, very few cars can go from 13.5@100MPH to 11.8@116MPH for just $2500-$3,000.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Good stuff guys..........When I talked to him he said he gave 37K for the car Vs. my 27,900 thats $9,100 difference on what he spent And I spent. I have about 15K in my car but keep in mind I'm doing everything I can to get the most out of the stock turbo and getting all the mods ready so when I put a big turbo on there I can get its full potential and have my car last. I also had ****ty winter tires on my car Vs. his drag radials.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

you could buy brand new left over 2003 cobra's for under $26k! so it all depends on when you purchase to compare actual prices!!!! I paid $29k for a slightly used 2003 cobra back in Jan 03........ i also paid full MSRP for a 2003 evo in march 03....

2.80' pully and belt & chip along with drag radials should get a cobra in the 11's.... with a burnout....... there is usually a huge difference in trap speeds between a cobra hitting 11's vs Evo hitting 11's due to the launching differences.

My 2003 cobra ran 12.4 @116mph with hi flow cats, cat back and a chip. No pully, no intake and i did it on stock tires with a very minimal burnout......

street races are harder for cobra's due to traction..... from a roll, you really need an impressive Evo to beat a cobra.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

True....but al in all I won. And it is 4cyl against 8cyl.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rollaway
AvatarifWar... its been a while since i seen you in the evo forums... my cobra figures are based on my friend's mods on his and he ran 11.4 with the mods i posted but i forgot to add the bfg drag radials so add a couple hundred but it still takes a lot less to take a cobra into the 11s than an evo... you guys should remember my friend since he posted in this forum a while back... he was the one that argued with a bunch of evo owners here when he posted his 11s s4 vs an 11s red evo
Hey there Rollaway, I've been around - mostly trolling or busy with work though. As far as the Cobra, it will do 11's in the 1320 no problem with the right mods... and dollar for dollar the Cobra can make more power. The problem is that it's a bad comparison since the Cobra starts out at mid 30's to low 40's depending on configuration (mine was 36k), and my Evo cost just 28k... so if you want to really perform a raw dollar for dollar it's a bad comparison to start out at just mod money. There are initial costs to consider.

That's not why I got out of my Cobra though as money wasn't the big issue. Having a vehicle that wheel hopped anytime I wanted to drive spirited, massive body roll, a heavy front end, absolutely NO traction in even the lightest snow (important where I live), high insurance, and 11mpg is why I got rid of the Cobra. Let's face it - the Evo is a better bargain than a lot of cars to modify if we're talking new cars.

The Cobra was a fun car going straight, the Evo is that... and everything else. But that's just my experiences; it's not for everyone. Dollar for dollar, the Evo owns the Cobra in everything except drag racing. Let's face it, not a lot of us have the potential to run 9's or lower but the Cobra does. In the end I don't really care so long as I'm driving 12 seconds or faster, getting 20+ mpg, and can laugh as I pass you in crappy weather
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

And Im not hatting a Cobra by any means I would love to have one.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MO_EVO8
True....but al in all I won. And it is 4cyl against 8cyl.
Good point. I didn't see any whp #'s. Have you had your car on a dyno?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AvatarOfWar
Hey there Rollaway, I've been around - mostly trolling or busy with work though. As far as the Cobra, it will do 11's in the 1320 no problem with the right mods... and dollar for dollar the Cobra can make more power. The problem is that it's a bad comparison since the Cobra starts out at mid 30's to low 40's depending on configuration (mine was 36k), and my Evo cost just 28k... so if you want to really perform a raw dollar for dollar it's a bad comparison to start out at just mod money. There are initial costs to consider.

That's not why I got out of my Cobra though as money wasn't the big issue. Having a vehicle that wheel hopped anytime I wanted to drive spirited, massive body roll, a heavy front end, absolutely NO traction in even the lightest snow (important where I live), high insurance, and 11mpg is why I got rid of the Cobra. Let's face it - the Evo is a better bargain than a lot of cars to modify if we're talking new cars.

The Cobra was a fun car going straight, the Evo is that... and everything else. But that's just my experiences; it's not for everyone. Dollar for dollar, the Evo owns the Cobra in everything except drag racing. Let's face it, not a lot of us have the potential to run 9's or lower but the Cobra does. In the end I don't really care so long as I'm driving 12 seconds or faster, getting 20+ mpg, and can laugh as I pass you in crappy weather
My words to the tee........And not to mention he was talking sh*t all night long after he beat 2 of my buddies camaros with 100 shot and 1 with a 150 shot. So I had to represent.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Here we go again . Stop placing a handicap on the EVO, the EVO is a car that can do anything, and that includes drag racing. The EVO is a great drag car, AWD dumb f*ck, that has be an awesome advantage when it comes to drag racing. Anyways the EVO (in the hands of a good driver) does not cost too much to hit the 11s, $2500-$3000 can get you into the 11s (with race gas). You will hit a 11.8-11.9@114-117MPH. For the higher trap speeds (which means a more powerful EVO), you'll need to spend alittle more dough or upgrade the turbos. Most Cobras cost around $800 to $1,500 to hit 11s. Again for higher traps you'll need to spend more dough. So yeah it can be less expensive to hit 11s with the Cobra, but your talking about a car that has been dynoed as high as 390WHP stock (the Cobra is suppose to make 390HP flywheel, yeah right) and can run mid to high 12s all day on stock tires and trap over 110MPH stock. So yeah it should be pretty damn easy to get into the 11s. Still it is relatively inexpensive to get the EVO when you think about it, very few cars can go from 13.5@100MPH to 11.8@116MPH for just $2500-$3,000.
Hmmm...I was being sarcastic, dude...note the in my post...who's the dumb f*ck now??? It sure isn't me...
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Come on now guys where getting off the subject.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Alright Alright...its time for hugs. Impressive kill man. I wish i had money...(im a sad panda)
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

nicely done, i hope i can get my car to that level. Ques. what is ur whp?
Old Dec 19, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

You get the lead with a launch and he pulls even but all the sudden drops back when you shift to 4th? IMO, the Cobra should've kept pulling on you. Afterall I'm sure he had more hp..he just can't put it to the ground easily on the launch. Did he miss a gear? Did you run more than once?
Good win though.