Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My EVO Vs. 03 modded Cobra.....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His shifting was just to slow....lol. As said before its all abou the driver and keep in mind this race was close. I only beat this guy by about 3/4 of a car. I dont know my whp but Im guessing with race gas inbetween 400-450.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

hey moevo where are you from id love to take a look at your car and what speed way did you goto. and where the hell is my pic
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

AWD has its advantage in the launch, but it goes downhill from there. more drivetrain loss and more drag. the cobra doesnt have that issue! thats why the newer skylines have variable drive - the opperate at 90%-100% RWD till the rear wheels slip, then the front wheels click on in. all the perks of AWD with none of the drawbacks!!!!!!!!

good kill bud, i would love to see that video
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lucky04
hey moevo where are you from id love to take a look at your car and what speed way did you goto. and where the hell is my pic
Sh*t bro I forgot sorry Ill get tommrow for sure. I live in Springfield MO.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXSRT4
AWD has its advantage in the launch, but it goes downhill from there. more drivetrain loss and more drag. the cobra doesnt have that issue! thats why the newer skylines have variable drive - the opperate at 90%-100% RWD till the rear wheels slip, then the front wheels click on in. all the perks of AWD with none of the drawbacks!!!!!!!!

Im trying to get it.....Ill post it when I do, if I do.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TEXSRT4

What the heck are you talking about? The AWD system of the EVO does not slow it down too much in the top end, the reason why stock EVOs start to sputter after 100MPH has to do with gearing. Your assuming other AWD cars like the Porsche 911 Turbo or GT2 or Lamborghini have the same problem which they do not. The point is Cams can help the EVO out a lot on the top end. You see if a Cobra pulls hard on an EVO, the main reason to this is not the drivetrain loss (who really cares about flywheel horspower anyways when your talking about modifying) or drag (as if the Cobra is 200MPH beast with it's top notch areodynamics ), the main reason is the difference in horspower and gearing. AWD makes it a race from the start, but a stock EVO is gonna find it hard to overcome a 150WHP difference with a stock Cobra, even if the Cobra weighs 400 to 500 pounds more. Still if the EVO starts to close the whp gap, and is cammed, an EVO will walk away from a Cobra. Don't get me wrong AWD can play a small part and the EVO will never have the top end of Ferraris or Lamborghinis, but gearing is the main culprit for stock EVOs lack luster performance above 100MPH and can be fixed with cams and even an ECU flash or etc. wouldn't hurt.

AWD helps more than hurts, the reason why EVOs run 13.2s@only 100-102MPH is because of the AWD, the AWD is the reason why the EVO ran such good times, take away AWD and the EVO runs 13.8-14.0 (on it's best runs)@99-101MPH. It only has 245-255WHP stock and weighs over 3200Lbs. The base C5 Corvette can runs similiar times 13.2s and weighs around 3200Lbs, but it's trap speed is well over 106MPH, why because it has over 300WHP to start.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 09:57 AM

honestly when considering what you said when you started off, im not on anybody's side because i own an evo, but i respect cobras, beautiful v8's what started racing, just to let you know you said evo vs heavily modified cobra, you should of said master heavilied modified evo vs heavily modified cobra, then that would of made sense, seriously you made the evo sound like it was stock or something when you reallly put a **** load of time and money. but beating a cobra(priceless), cobra hit the garage and figure out what you did wrong, in the world of power (LETS GET IT ON)
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:39 AM

hey mo evo. . . . . .nice kill, man. Theres a couple of us evo owners over on www.stlsr.com/forums , would love to see pictures and check out your car.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lucky04
ok this is prolly the dumbest question ever asked on this forum ever but how do you burnout an awd anyone got any pics id love to have that on my desktop
I've got a vid somewhere of the Fuller/RRE (I think) Evo doing burnouts for like a minute. I'll see if I can find it...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 10:47 AM

Good kill. A full bolt on 03-04 Cobra is hard to beat.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broeli
You get the lead with a launch and he pulls even but all the sudden drops back when you shift to 4th? IMO, the Cobra should've kept pulling on you. Afterall I'm sure he had more hp..he just can't put it to the ground easily on the launch. Did he miss a gear? Did you run more than once?
Good win though.
that's what I was thinking...nice win though whatever the circumstances.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imjac1
honestly when considering what you said when you started off, im not on anybody's side because i own an evo, but i respect cobras, beautiful v8's what started racing, just to let you know you said evo vs heavily modified cobra, you should of said master heavilied modified evo vs heavily modified cobra, then that would of made sense, seriously you made the evo sound like it was stock or something when you reallly put a **** load of time and money. but beating a cobra(priceless), cobra hit the garage and figure out what you did wrong, in the world of power (LETS GET IT ON)
LOL...I was just so excited.. I forgot.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Kill.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Arent you selling your car
Old Dec 23, 2004, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Cobras are sick fast. They get respect too. I cant afford to mod and beat them yet cause have mad billz. Great job on the kill.