Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory Chip Option!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2002, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I asked my PARTS dealer about the EVO about 6 months ago, he said he was working on a chip upgrade for the VIII....I called him on it...BUll shyte!!!
So he turns his monitor around and lo and behold there is programming and motor data with charts and all sorts of stuff. So I guess maybe independent people are doing the chip upgrade unless he sold his chip mod to Mitsu. Mysteriously, 3 months ago the guy got hired into a position for SVT though.....hmmmmm
Old Dec 18, 2002, 02:56 PM

Hey you Gillman guys, that's where I got mine too. Did any of you get the black one they had decked out with the RMR stuff in the showroom. It looked pretty, but they jacked the prices up on it big time. It was there in May and still be there today??
Old Dec 18, 2002, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evodreamer
Hey you Gillman guys, that's where I got mine too. Did any of you get the black one they had decked out with the RMR stuff in the showroom. It looked pretty, but they jacked the prices up on it big time. It was there in May and still be there today??
I actually took that one home overnight for a test drive but did not buy it because of the outrageous prices they were wanting for the add-ons. I think they told me that someone in San Antonio bought that one but I am not certain.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:37 PM

Yea, I don't know if I'd buy another new car from them again, but the service guys (Tony and Mark) are really good and honest with you. The sales manager is a C**K sucker with the crap he tries to pull.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
who was the sales manager you dealt with, and at which gillman was this? just spent the whole day on waiting in line for and watching LOTR 2 towers, i haven't eaten all day and the first thing i do is check these damn forums... lol... obsessed... maybe, dude Wizard, the parties last night at SWT were overflowing with females, like all the big jock guys went home as soon as finals were over, and all the superhotties were out on the prowl, i love this place
Old Dec 18, 2002, 06:09 PM

I think his name was kevin thomas at gillman on rankin...I thought I was working on an oz with a spoiler and they thought one without. When I corrected them, the sales rep had to go check with kevin on the price of it since she didn't know anything, and he wanted to charge me sticker plus installation on a spoiler that was already on the car. I was pissed and left after I told them they were out of their ****ing minds. They called my cell on the way home to the woodlands and we worked it out. What a *****!!!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

I dealt with Rev. Ken Ganther. I don't think he was a manager. He did try a few of the sales tricks though. Seemed mysterious charges kept popping up on the sheet. I felt good after I left like I did not get screwed as I only paid $50 more than I had in my mind to spend. Still felt like they would have screwed me if I had let them.

Mitsuorder, you are definitely making me long for the good 'ol days back at SWT. It has been a long time since I have been out there and a long time since I have had that much fun.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

There won't be a factory offered chip upgrade through your dealer.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

maybe the upgrade is nothing more than a stock jdm ecu which makes the car 313 hp that is tuned by ralliart making it about 342 hp. i've seen ryse millen car up at mmsa where he was getting something on his car checked out and he said just the tuned ecu(chip) made a huge difference. we are getting ralliart by 04, so maybe thats all it is,
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:52 AM

I asked my brother-in-law about the chip last night and he said his dealership wouldn't be having them and that they almost definitely wouldn't have them at any others. At the tech info meeting the warned them to look out for such things as they will void the warranty.

He also gave me one of the extra copies of the tech book he picked up that was posted on here!
Old Dec 19, 2002, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

i don't think that it would be a stock JDM ecu as their cars tuned in Japan run a much higher octane than the US...plus I don't think/know that they would be OBD-II compliant.

while an optional dealer warrantied chip would be the next best thing since sliced bread (they do offer those in the UK -- Prodrive Performance Package), I find it very doubtful.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Just wait and get a Apexi, AEM, Motec or something... ECUs that you can't adjust suck anyway. It is really nice knowing you can go from a nice passive 275 hp to Z06 eating 375 hp at the touch of a button.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

That's it! Now I'm going to my dealer and punching someone in the jaw until they tell me something about this freakin car!!!