Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Factory Chip Option!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Chip Option!?

I called my dealership today and the guy gave me some info:
273 hp
TWIN TURBO (ha) 4 cylinder engine
4 doors
a chip option WARRANTIED by dealer that will boost the hp to around 325-345 (forgot what he said)...

anyone heard about the chip option?!

that would be pretty tight since the dealer will cover it in warranty!
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Unless your dealership is Evolution Imports I doubt such a thing will be offered. There are too many incompetent techs for MMC to warranty them. Possibly it could be a DEALER option, but I don't see why they'd even put themselves in that position. Seems like a load to me.

If they can't get the number turbos correct that removes all credibility in my book.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well i think your dealer is confused about the twin turbo thing, think they meant to say twin scroll tubo , i haven't wanted to mention anything about this for fear of being made to look like a jackass who swallowed every bit of misinformation provided by my dealer, but yes i was told, and this seems outlandish "stock hp will be from 273-280hp and a "special" chip will be offered as an in house dealer installed performace option completely covered by the warranty, i've known this guy since spring of 2001, ever since i first walked into the dealership and asked to talk to their sales manager, he's never tried to get my hopes up about "possible" specs or anything crazy until he told me about the chip, nice to know there is someone else who has been told this but i'm not sure that a 273 to 350 hp increase is even close to obtainable unless the car's a)severely underated and b)just has some sort of hp govenor that can be simply unlocked by a "chip" to obtain full potential, now guys don't totally tear us new ones for asking about this chip thing, it just "sounds" nice, any input?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

mitsuorder, what part of Texas are you from? What dealer told you this info?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

well my dealer is in the same part as you, i now live in New Braunfels and attend SWT university, i will have been dealing with gillman on this subject for two years come this april, what dealer are you with?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Fellow Bobcat I graduated from SWT in '96. Great school, better scenery. I bought my OZ (it belongs to my wife now as I am wanting the EVO) from Gillman on Rankin. I actually live on the far east side, just outside of Houston close to Baytown (little podunk place called Highlands). Are you talking about the same Gillman or the one on the Southwest Freeway? If it is the one on Rankin who is your contact there and have they given you any info on the EVO like how many they expect and if they will sell at MSRP or not?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

I could see it being a dealer option. similar to dinan and bmw. except the factory provides the remapped or tuned ecu/software
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

wuzzzzuuup man hell yeah i love the "scenery", it's really bouncy lol, i actually started off with dealing with Gillman of SouthWest Houston, managed to befriend a Sales Manager there and a put my $500 refundable check down for the first spot on their list, they aren't getting a single Evo until well into the second batch in march, luckily my sales manager friend recently moved to Gillman of Rosenberg, much larger dealership with a higher CSI (customer satisfaction index) which is a major factor in dealerships getting to dip their hands in the firs allotment of cars, and I know B-town my friend, i went to highschool at Barbers Hill in Mt. Belvieu, as long as i had lived their i still can't spell it right, but check with your guys at whatever Gillman your at and make sure they are actually qualified to sell the Evo, mitsu is being a real stickler on this, my Sales Manager friend says he's got a good relationship with one other dealership in the houston area that is getting more than he is, so if they don't get the color and trim i want then his buddy has already agreed to trade with him. Today was the last day for finals out here, i finished up on friday, the partys are going to be insane
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mitsuorder
... but i'm not sure that a 273 to 350 hp increase is even close to obtainable unless the car's a)severely underated and b)just has some sort of hp govenor that can be simply unlocked by a "chip" to obtain full potential, now guys don't totally tear us new ones for asking about this chip thing, it just "sounds" nice, any input?
Actually it's probably not too far outside possibility.

The 1.8T engine used by VW and Audi comes from the factory rated at 180hp and 162 lb-ft of torque.

Just the simple addition of a chip unlocks the performance of the car, taking it to 209hp/242lb-ft on premium and 215hp/247lb-ft on 93 octane.

Proportionally, that's a 16% increase in HP and a 49% increase in torque for the VW engine.

I don't expect the exact same gains, for sure, but increasing all the way to 350 HP is "only" a 28% increase in power. Increasing to 300 HP is only a 10% gain... that's probably pretty easy to assume a 10% gain with the addition of a chip.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

good point, thanks for breaking it down with the percentages, just i try to get my hopes up about these things, but i'll have to admit that when my guy said that he was told about a chip at the evo orientation that will be available to take it up to 350hp i got plain giddy i mean 2 years ago, and just asuming there is truth to this rumor, would you have beleived someone if they told you that a "stock" 350hp 2.0 liter 4 cylinder that was fully warrantied was coming to the U.S. ?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the reason the chip works so well on the 1.8T is that the boost is controlled electronically by the ecu on that motor, while it is mechanically controlled on most other turbo engines (and most likely on the Evo). Very few turbo motors benefit that much from just ecu reprogramming.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

ask him if this is a nationwide thing or just a dealer incentive type thing
Old Dec 18, 2002, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

chips, ecus, and piggyback systems don't add horsepower....
what they do add is more aggressive fuel mapping - they allow your stock fuel system to run harder, (often increasing max boost) which is where you get the HP & torque gains.

in order for you to see 10%+ HP & torque gains the stock fuel system has to be underloaded from the factory, and in many cases this happens, but you need to be very, very sure that you are not running to hard a duty cycle with an aftermarket chip. You can lean out your a/f ratio and get big numbers, but lessen the longivity of your engine significantly.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 03:11 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory Chip Option?

Hi All,
Evo-tuning has been alive and well in the rest of the world for quite some time. An ECU alone will not produce significant HP gains. A well mapped ECU and higher volume fuel pump will yeild a fuel and timing map that allows boost to be increased safely. Without spending a lot of money on internals, I would suggest the following recipe: Cold air intake, performance exhaust including downpipe and de-cat, ECU upgrade, boost controller to run up to 1.5 bar and just for safety, ARP rod bolts. These changes should give you in the neighborhood of 350 HP. Check with Lancerregister.com. This and other Evo-related topics are beaten to death daily there. Of course, the Factory will not likely warranty the above recipe.
Cheers,
Old Dec 18, 2002, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

mitsuorder,

Have fun partying if you can find one out there How many EVO's is your friend's dealership getting? At this point I will probably purchase one but I am planning on hitting the car show here in Houston on the 25th of January to see what other goodies I might be interested in. So many cars to drive, so little money.

Quick Reply: Factory Chip Option!?