Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 Car of the Year, SCC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RS's lack of air conditioning isn't cool
Mitsubishi agrees. That why every single RS sold in the USDM comes from the factory with AC...both the '04 and '05 model. Swing and a miss.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kondo
Some may think we're crazy for not choosing the EVO RS, which is cheaper... We're not crazy. The RS's lack of air conditioning isn't cool...No, for us, the straight VIII-as we've begun to call it- is the car to have.

The 2005 RS comes with A/C as standard equipment. I'm surprised that SCC, otherwise a fairly knowledgable magazine, does not realize this.

For 80% of potential Evo buyers, I too would recommend the "Straight" Evo VIII over the RS and the MR versions. I would only recommend the RS to hard-core, uncompromising enthusiasts like myself.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

i think it's funny that the 0-60 time on the evo changes from year to year, magazine to magazine. primedia doesn't like to make it easy on the magazine racers.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Got to love SCC, The Car of the yr and the MR vs. Sti are great reads.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

They also used the same performance numbers from the '04 model. I'm not sure if the extra power on the '05 models translates to better numbers on the track, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If anything I think it's worth retesting the car.

Thanks for posting the article, but I gotta give SCC a 5/10 on thouroghness. They sorta phoned this one in IMHO.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

The RS is great. Only drawback is having to install or add the radio for me. I do not care about power windows. Has ac and all the physical comforts minus the power win-dl/wing/hid.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

The test results listed for the 05 is the actual test results they obtained for the 03 Evo.

Originally Posted by kondo
I did the scans but they are 2.5 mb each so they are too big to put on any free web hosting pages, I need some help It might just be easier for me to type the whole damn thing word for word.

From SCC FEb 2005

"2005 Sport Compact Car of the Year
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
For a car to be chosen the SCC car of the year, we, the editors of SCC, must be impressed with every aspect of the vehicle. We must be awed by its styling, thrilled by its performance and encouraged by its tunability. It must be a car we would fight Tyson to drive. And finally, it must be significant in themarketplace, a car we're sure will forever impact the Sport compact aftermarket for the better.
Every car sold in America by march 1 is eligible, that is, as long as the automaker makes one available to us for a full road test before our deadline. That's the extent of the rules. we don't limit our shoices with an artificial price cap or any other rules, you'd think chosing this year's winner was hard. It wansn't. In fact it was easier than sipping out morning coffee. For the second year in a row, we
ve chosen the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII. And the reason is simple: we love this car. For two years we've done nothing but praise it. Twelve months ago it was the absolute greatest automotive performance value on the planet and it remains so today.
For the base MSRP of $30,499 (including destination), you get all-wheel drive, Brembo four-wheel disc brakes, front and real anti-roll bars, a 276-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder with a twin-scroll turbocharger, a front strut-tower brace, farged aluminum suspensioni, recaro front bucket seats, a Momo steering wheel, aluminum hood and front fenders, and 17 inch Yokohama tires mounted on ultralightweight forged Enki alloy wheels. Plus, you get the usual new-car luxury items like power windows, power locks and air conditioning.
Some may think we'ew crazy for not choosing the EVO RS, which is cheaper, or the EVO MR, which has an aluminum roof and a six-speed. We're not crazy. The RS's lack of air conditioning isn't cool, and the MR costs $4,500 more for no significant gain in performance. No, for us, the straight VIII-as we've begun to call it- is the car to have. Its performance is nothing short of world class, it's always comfortable and the price is right.
And that's why for the second year in a row we choose the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII as the SCC car of the year."

The next page has a bunch of quotes about how great the evo is then the last page has all the stats the only ones I am gonna write are the performance

Acceleration
quarter mile time @ speed 13.4 sec. @ 103mph
0-30 mph 1.7 sec
0-60 mph 5.3 sec
30-50 mph 2.1 sec
50-70 mph 2.9 sec
Handling
Lateral Grip (200-ft skidpad) .95 g
Slalom speed(700-ft slalom) 73.1 mph
Braking
60-0 stopping distance 106ft