Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crusty Coffee surrounding your Intercooler Sprayer Switch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Crusty Coffee surrounding your Intercooler Sprayer Switch?

I've meant to post this for months; How many of you have spilled coffee as its sat in your center console cupholder? When you wiped it off as best you could did you later realize that you missed some around the intercooler spray switch, and that its hardened to the point that you have to fight to depress the switch? ....I HATE THAT!

This is the second car in a row that I've owned that places piping hot beverages close to important electronics. Again, a manufacturer has mistakenly given me the benefit of the doubt and assumed I'm not an asshat who will get sed beverages spilt all over sed electronics. When will they learn.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

i dont drink coffee, so its not really a problem for me. i do however get a collection of crap, that all seems to gather right there. i used to always keep me car spotless, but now with the weather the way it is, and i rarely ever even drive it, i have pretty much given up.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah mine got so bad once (actually stayed in the down position and wouldn't work @ all), I just ended up buying a new switch. It wasn't too expensive, $20-30 I think. After the new switch, I was a lot more careful with my drinks. heh
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
i've got that problem... anyone know of a good way of cleaning the switch?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yep me too
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol its really easy u can look at the short shifter installs where they take out the center console its 2 screws in the arm rest cubby and like 2 tabs and the whole center console comes off. then u pop the switch out of the console and proceed to clean!

evoisdream
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you need an Aladdin cup mod. They make a nice cup thats almost like a mini thermas.

Here is one like I have =D

Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

How much horsepower will that add? How about if I install a mini-vortex generator over the sippy hole?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

It's good for at least 3whp. If you can get one with an after market logo you could be looking at as much as 5whp

I'm still waiting to hear something about the carbon fiber mugs.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
lol its really easy u can look at the short shifter installs where they take out the center console its 2 screws in the arm rest cubby and like 2 tabs and the whole center console comes off. then u pop the switch out of the console and proceed to clean!

evoisdream
From what I remember, the switch housing is all one piece. Taking the switch out isn't a problem (take a few screws out and yank up on the console), but if you have a write-up on how to discect the switch housing, that'd be great.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dividedsky
I've meant to post this for months; How many of you have spilled coffee as its sat in your center console cupholder? When you wiped it off as best you could did you later realize that you missed some around the intercooler spray switch, and that its hardened to the point that you have to fight to depress the switch? ....I HATE THAT!

This is the second car in a row that I've owned that places piping hot beverages close to important electronics. Again, a manufacturer has mistakenly given me the benefit of the doubt and assumed I'm not an asshat who will get sed beverages spilt all over sed electronics. When will they learn.
Dude! the answer is soooo simple. It's not the coffee that's causing your problems but the sugar and cream you add to it
All kidding aside, I've spilled coffee all over the place in every car I've owned. It's worse when the scalding hot liquid goes on your pants hurts like hell and stains your clothes too..... I've found that a good travel mug with a lid that seals the opening works really well, as long as you remember to use it.........

Oh yeah, get an MR.... no pesky switches to get wet

Last edited by MR-SilverEVO8; Dec 20, 2004 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Even better! lol

Where is your switch then? I've yet to sit inside an MR

I don't really drink coffee anymore otherwise I'd have to get an MR
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Even better! lol

Where is your switch then? I've yet to sit inside an MR

I don't really drink coffee anymore otherwise I'd have to get an MR
The MR does not get the IC spray .... I don't know why, but I suspect there is no room for it due to other features which occupy needed space...
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting. You have any pics of the motor? Just curious what they used the extra room for if there is no spray bottle.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep they had to remove the IC sprayer in the mr due to room for the new features. and about the switch i think u may be right its one peice but i know it unlpugs and im sure can come araty and if you have it out of the car u can use some qtips and alchol or something and get it good! hehe

Quick Reply: Crusty Coffee surrounding your Intercooler Sprayer Switch?