Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another WORKS breakthrough

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2004, 06:16 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nobody is answering my question. Is this like 2 step? or what?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
FYI - Dyno Flash has been doing this on '05's for about three weeks

From what we have seen so far most customers just want the secondary rev limter removed 100% and out of their '05 so I dont think its something that people would want to add to their '03 - but if any one wants that option I am willing to provide it upon request
You're controlling boost through the ECU too?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Here's my take on it ... to the best of my current knowledge:

It's a two stage rev limiter, that is dependent on whether or not the clutch pedel is depressed. This means that if you have the pedel to the floor and the clutch depressed, the first stage rev limiter kicks in at some lower rpm (which WORKS can now custom set). If the clutch is released, the second rev limiter will kick in.

This is essentially a built in launch control ... rather than having to rev your engine just right and slip the clutch, you get WORKS to program the first stage at whatever RPM you want (ie. 5000, 4500, 5500, 5273 ... whatever), then floor it, and slip the clutch.

Seems like a very useful feature ... and I'm impressed that they've been able to add it to the 03 models.

Removing the feature (as Al mentioned) is as trivial as setting both stages to the same value. I'm not quite sure why someone would want to remove it ... unless you're feeling like replacing your clutch or tranny faster than necessary

-S ...

Last edited by jstockdale; Dec 21, 2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
FYI - Dyno Flash has been doing this on '05's for about three weeks
Isn't this already built into the 05?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jstockdale
Here's my take on it ... to the best of my current knowledge:

It's a two stage rev limiter, that is dependent on whether or not the clutch pedel is depressed. This means that if you have the pedel to the floor and the clutch depressed, the first stage rev limiter kicks in at some lower rpm (which WORKS can now custom set). If the clutch is released, the second rev limiter will kick in.

This is essentially a built in launch control ... rather than having to rev your engine just right and slip the clutch, you get WORKS to program the first stage at whatever RPM you want (ie. 5000, 4500, 5500, 5273 ... whatever), then floor it, and slip the clutch.

Seems like a very useful feature ... and I'm impressed that they've been able to add it to the 03 models.

Removing the feature (as Al mentioned) is as trivial as setting both stages to the same value. I'm not quite sure why someone would want to remove it ... unless you're feeling like replacing your clutch or tranny faster than necessary

-S ...
thank you. It is a 2 step launch control.

I'll be very interested in this. This is something you could do with AEM EMS, but if you could program it on ECU with a flash, that would be cool.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:33 PM

5500 Rpm launch and 6k no lift to shift sounds like a good idea to me, I had that on my galant from http://www.dsmchips.com. Thanks Jeff.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

woah no lift of the throttle during shifting?! wow thats pretty insane
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:44 PM

It's Awsome! I really miss it.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Except how does it hold the RPMs at 5K? Does it cut timing and fuel? Your HP output would be drastically reduced as well.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

So al can you do a dual stage or just add one at 5K?
Old Dec 21, 2004, 07:53 PM

You should ask jeff at dsmchips.com I just installed his product and enjoyed it immensely
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
So al can you do a dual stage or just add one at 5K?
Most people with the MR (and all '05's) have found that its almost impossible to laucnh the car hard with this rev protection setting they have put onto the cars this year. I dont want to call it a two step. As Evotexas has correctly pointed out its NOT a performance and acceleration enhancement item - its a transmission protector to prevent people from reving the crap out of the car and dumping the clutch. For lack of a better term - I'll call this feature a "launch protector."

In practice, when you try and hold it on this launch protector rev limit what happens is that the car will bog down when you try and launch it - at least that is what the customers have reported to me

I am NOT about to do drag launches on a customer's brand new evo so I have not personally tested this feature - I'll trust my crazy customers who had already dragged thier MR's and 05's.

When I found the code in the ecu which controlls this function, I simily would take out the factory lower limit and bring it to equal to the main rev limiter - thus eliminating the feature.

Its just as easy to set that at 5,500; 6,000, 6,500 or any other launching rpms that th end user wants

I have NOT had a chance yet to experiement to see if the car can launch well with a higher factory launch protector rpm set point
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be sweet if someone could make the launch rev limit adjustable to the user, like the TMO ECUs had for DSMs. With a pedal sequence, I could choose between 5 different preset launch rpms from 4500 to 6500.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yah.... I figured it wasn't exactly a performance enhancing option.... Mitsu did it to save trannies. Not launch the car better. LOL
Old Dec 21, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

inthe 05's did they also add the option that spits little bubble out the back as well? lol Sounds about as useful as the two stage.

Quick Reply: Another WORKS breakthrough