Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 update

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about Evo 9 MR??? There no News about New EVO 9 MR??? im not talk about GSR or RS.. im talk about MR evo 9
Old Dec 25, 2004, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hanahawaiian
what about Evo 9 MR??? There no News about New EVO 9 MR??? im not talk about GSR or RS.. im talk about MR evo 9
Im pretty sure the MR is just a one off, like the Evo VI T.M.E. Could be another reason why the price was a little steep (a rareity, limited numbers etc). Who knows?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

SAYC is coming

SAYC is coming real soon
The Acura RL now has the same kind of system, if any of you have seen the TV commercials, Acura are trying to make out that they invented it first.
Which we all know is not true.
Anyway judging by the commercial I think Mitsu has no choice now but to release it especially after the U.S. MR Edition was released and everyone was up in arms cause once again the car was a watered down U.S. version.
Those of you who don't have an Evo yet, I suggest you wait to see what developes or Evolves as the case maybe. The next generation of Evo's will be better even if they do look ugly.
As far as the MR (U.K. and Jpn specs) all of the U.K. FQ's series are now based on the MR platform, and they even said if the demand was there that they would ramp up production, so we need to see what happens, I personally don't see it being like the TME VI.5, I see it more of Mitsu's way of competeing with the Subaru STI series as STI has been around awhile, and it is after all Subaru's racing developement team, MR does stand for Mitsubishi racing, so I think the MR designation will be around for a while. Ralliart and Prodrive are independent racing and developement for the above Vehicles.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Samdiver74
SAYC is coming real soon
The Acura RL now has the same kind of system, if any of you have seen the TV commercials, Acura are trying to make out that they invented it first.
Anyway judging by the commercial I think Mitsu has no choice now but to release it especially after the U.S. MR Edition was released and everyone was up in arms cause once again the car was a watered down U.S. version.
Those of you who don't have an Evo yet, I suggest you wait to see what developes or Evolves as the case maybe. The next generation of Evo's will be better even if they do look ugly.
As far as the MR (U.K. and Jpn specs) all of the U.K. FQ's series are now based on the MR platform, and they even said if the demand was there that they would ramp up production, so we need to see what happens, I personally don't see it being like the TME VI.5, I see it more of Mitsu's way of competeing with the Subaru STI series as STI has been around awhile, and it is after all Subaru's racing developement team, MR does stand for Mitsubishi racing, so I think the MR designation will be around for a while. Ralliart and Prodrive are independent racing and developement for the above Vehicles.
SAYC is currently on JDM/UK MR and EVO 8.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ang Wen Yan
I know the S AYC is already out in those Markets, AYC has been out a while, I am just saying for the USDM Evo's next one (9) will have S-AYC
Acura has released a similar concept on their 2005 RL, but the way they have it advertised, they are trying to make out that they have come up with something new. when it is in fact old technology
I know a lot more about the Evo history than you think
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

OK let me say this first and foremost. The evo IX heading to the US will most likely not get the MIVEC engine and you know why?

Mitsu still has a ton of the 4g63 engines laying around and it will be a great cost cutting measure for them to just offer the 4g63 here in the states instead of increasing the cost of production. So what will happen is, we will get a 4g63 engine base evo IX with maybe SAYC and all of the MR goodies to justify its new cost. Meanwhile mitsu will be laughing their way to the bank since they will be utilizing their parts bin and will actually make a bigger profit.

Why is this so obvious?

1. The evo is already trumping the sti as it stands so there is no need for mitsu to come with any innovative ideas. They treat us like little babies, we start crying and they add a little more gerber in the milk to keep us calm and they will continue to use that effect to their advantage.

2. Take the atezza style housing that we have now for example. We all thought that we were going to get the MR style housings even on the MR and look what happened. We get the ricer looking atezzas and the reason for that is again cost cutting measures. Mitsu may have those atezza housing sitting in a huge warehouse somewhere and it is a way for them to again save money and maximize their profit and the best to place to get away with it is here in the US. Let's face it, what other cars in the states can give use supercars like performance for 30K-35K.

3. There is the issue of marketing. See, Mitsu has to keep us wondering and keep the envy going. We're always saying things like: "Japan gets SAYC and we don't. We will get that when the next evo comes out". That keeps us anxious and impatient which translates into impulsive behavior. Those who have older evos will want to trade or ditched their evo for the latest and greatest and it all goes back to point 1. Mitsu gives us a little bit at a time to maximize their profit. In a way, we can't really blame them because our market is not as competitive as the UK and the europe markets.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maron
Mitsu still has a ton of the 4g63 engines laying around and it will be a great cost cutting measure for them to just offer the 4g63 here in the states instead of increasing the cost of production. So what will happen is, we will get a 4g63 engine base evo IX with maybe SAYC and all of the MR goodies to justify its new cost. Meanwhile mitsu will be laughing their way to the bank since they will be utilizing their parts bin and will actually make a bigger profit.
In theory that makes sense. Problem is that the only difference between the Evo VIII 4g63 and the new MIVEC engine is the heads and the ECU tune. It's basically just a hardware component swap as I understand it.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

The new Sport Compact has a good article on the new EVO 9 and 10. It clears most of this up-
Old Dec 25, 2004, 07:56 PM

If the USDM EVO 9 is gonna be based off the current MR platform...whos to say the 9 isnt gonna cost 35k?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 08:23 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

SAYC is coming real soon
Well, this is not entirely true. Their SAYC and ACD work better than the Mitsu one but probably weight in more. I forgot all the details but as far as I remember, they are able to shift torque 0-100% to whichever wheel they need, front or back which the Evo diffs can't (and any other including Nissan one).
That would lead me to believe it is superior to any other on the market
Old Dec 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

I personally don't see it being like the TME VI.5, I see it more of Mitsu's way of competeing with the Subaru STI series as STI has been around awhile, and it is after all Subaru's racing developement team, MR does stand for Mitsubishi racing, so I think the MR designation will be around for a while.
Aye ?? The entry level Evo is Mitsi's way of competing with the Sti, An entry level WRX will get dicked by an entry level evo. Over my side of the world a base model WRX (JDM) starts at around 45,000 NZ Dollar (about 32,000 USD at the current'sh exchange rate...1 NZD=0.70 or so USD?? DONT qoute me on it though), where as the WRX STI comes in at around 60,000 NZ Dollar (49K USD, again dont qoute me on it). The Evo comes in at 74,999 NZ Dollar. Base Model WRX is 168KW/225hp where as the top of the line STI gets 206kw/276hp with 412nm max torque....Evo starts off at 220kw/280hp with 420nm max torque (FQ300). These quotes are on 2005 Models.
This is how its been for years, only the STI version of the WRX is an even match for an entry level Evo for Performance, 0-60 and 1/4 mile Times, handling etc .
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:44 PM
aqs

OK let me say this first and foremost. The evo IX heading to the US will most likely not get the MIVEC engine and you know why?

So they're going modify their assembly lines to build a separate car with an almost end-of-life engine JUST for one of their biggest markets? Sure. They didn't spend all that time and money developing that engine to NOT give it to us.

2. Take the atezza style housing that we have now for example. We all thought that we were going to get the MR style housings even on the MR and look what happened. We get the ricer looking atezzas and the reason for that is again cost cutting measures. Mitsu may have those atezza housing sitting in a huge warehouse somewhere and it is a way for them to again save money and maximize their profit and the best to place to get away with it is here in the US. Let's face it, what other cars in the states can give use supercars like performance for 30K-35K.
There was a reason for this. Mitsubishi simply did not have the money to spend on retooling just to produce black housing headlights for the US market (and no, they cannot just slap the JDM ones on and sell the car here). Therefore they did not give us the black housing tail lights either, because it wouldn't look right. I am quite confident that this was not how they wanted it to be.

3. There is the issue of marketing. See, Mitsu has to keep us wondering and keep the envy going. We're always saying things like: "Japan gets SAYC and we don't. We will get that when the next evo comes out". That keeps us anxious and impatient which translates into impulsive behavior. Those who have older evos will want to trade or ditched their evo for the latest and greatest and it all goes back to point 1. Mitsu gives us a little bit at a time to maximize their profit. In a way, we can't really blame them because our market is not as competitive as the UK and the europe markets.
I would be surprised if we saw SAYC any time soon. Why? Americans are stupid and they break cars. There is a reason people are having such problems with their drivetrain warranty claims. We also don't get the JDM Recaro seats because Americans are in general "too fat" for them.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aqs
So they're going modify their assembly lines to build a separate car with an almost end-of-life engine JUST for one of their biggest markets? Sure. They didn't spend all that time and money developing that engine to NOT give it to us.

There was a reason for this. Mitsubishi simply did not have the money to spend on retooling just to produce black housing headlights for the US market (and no, they cannot just slap the JDM ones on and sell the car here). Therefore they did not give us the black housing tail lights either, because it wouldn't look right. I am quite confident that this was not how they wanted it to be.

I would be surprised if we saw SAYC any time soon. Why? Americans are stupid and they break cars. There is a reason people are having such problems with their drivetrain warranty claims. We also don't get the JDM Recaro seats because Americans are in general "too fat" for them.
Haha oh so very true!! Well spoken aqs!
Old Dec 28, 2004, 09:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What are you talking about? They had it since 97 when they put the torque converter on prelude type sh (super handling). I mean, it wasn't AWD, but it's essentially the same thing.

That same year the BMW came out with it as well with their torque converter.

We had this same discussion when the 04 evo came out, then 05. I say just buy and live it up. Who knows what could happen to you in between those times.

Besides, if you're going to wait, i'd say wait until evo 10 MR comes out. I'm sure that's worth the wait, unless the other manufacturers come out with something better, which it looks like they're trying real hard to get into this price segment in performance vehicles.

SAYC is coming real soon
Which we all know is not true..
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

The January issue of Road and Track also some info on the Evo 9 and a pic of what the 10 might look like(God I hope it doesn't look like that). This is what it says:

News of the demise of Mitsubihsi Motors has been greatly exaggerated. We say so because we got our hands on an illustration from the company of what the Evo X("ten," not "X") may look like. That mitsubishi had this image of the Evo X (which we've cleaned up to look like a finalized production car) even before the introduction of the Evo IX tells us two things: one, that Mitsubishi intends on hanging around for a while; and two, the Evo X will be an all-new car.

Although details are sketchy, the Evo X will feature a rounder design with a more aggressive face and stance. A new turbocharged inline-4 along with a new all-wheel-drive system that's similar to the one being used by the World Rally race car are rumored to be in development; power will be at least 300bhp.

What this means is that the Evo will be even meaner than it is now, and that's saying something about the most potent Japanese performance car in the land. The Evo X will be introduced sometime in 2007 with a pricetag of about $30,000.

Also in the new issue of SCC they mentioned something about a GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) and it may be 2.4 liters.

The new Skyline is going to cost around 70k which is out of my league, the Evo X looks f'ugly and all this guess work is making me sick. I think I need a drink.

Last edited by Darkchild; Jan 2, 2005 at 11:30 PM.