Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

oil fill question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil fill question

I know that overfilling is a big no-no, but as long as your operating in the safe range while the car is running your ok, right? After seeing someone lose an engine on the autox course because of oil starvation, I have always erred on the side of a little over fill Right now when the car has been sitting the oil line is barely over the full mark (about 1/8th of an inch). But after I start it up and let the engine warm up the oil line falls back to a little below the full mark, which is where I want to be. This may be a stupid question, but I wanted to see what you guys had to say about it and/or where you fill up to. better safe than sorry.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

my car eats a quart of oil every 3000 miles, and since i was getting 3000 miles in a month, i couldnt really care either way.

i just put 4 1/2ish quarts in when i change it and let it be.
cars got 30k miles on it with no issues, did the same thing with my gst and its still running fine at 180k.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, 4 and 1/2 quarts is about what I put in it as well. I figure that I am pretty safe with that amount, but I was just wanting to make sure I was not going to aireate(sp) the oil and lose oil pressure with just a little over fill. I did a search, but I really could not find a thread that stated at about how much oil overfill would your crank start to whip up the oil. My guess would be at about a quart extra, but I have no idea.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how far above full are you on the dipstick?
Old Dec 23, 2004, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

JP You just said what to look for in your post, frothy oil. If you overfill your rods will beat the oil like so many egg beaters. There are of course the oil lines to the turbo that are above the oil level in the crank case. I agree with your observation on the 4 1/2 qts. I was concerned when I had my fisrt change done by the dealer and the tech couldn't get five qts in.To easy my concern, on my second cahnge I used Castrol full syn since it is more translucent than M1 (and I use it in my wifes car) just to see if it would discolor right away. I reasoned that this would give me and indication about whether or not there was a significant amount of used oil left in the engine after the case drained. The oil did not discolor to any perceptible degree so I believe that the 4 1/2 quart refill is good.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I always fill up to the top of the line after I run the engine to fill the filter.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I make sure my oil is at the full line after i just shut it off. If it's been sitting for a while, i'll let it run for a minute or two and shut it off again, then check it. After it's been sitting, it's a little past the full mark by maybe 1/8" or less
Old Dec 23, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies guys,
I think I am pretty safe. The oil line on the stick was only about 1/8 inch above the full mark, so I dont think its too much. Also, Wildrice, the oil looked fine and was not foamy at all. Once I checked it after it was warmed up, the oil line was actually below the full line, so when the engine is running I think my oil level is almost perfect.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

ll
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

i fill my oil filter before i install it.... fill it a bit...let it soak in and repeat until the filter's full....usually about 1/4 qt in the filter....then the rest goes in the engine....

it ends up being a total of 4.75 qts....after running the engine for about 3 minutes...and lettin it sit for about the same amout...it's about a weeee bit over the full line....

after driving and checking the oil...its on the line...give or take a couple of drops....heheh

Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4 quart should be fine.

The owners manual wants you to fill it where it's half way point in the dip stick line.

But I fill it all the way up.

You should start with 4 quart then start the engine, shut it off, then add as needed.