Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo good first turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2004, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo good first turbo car?

just wondering if noone has owned a turbo car before if it would be especially hard owning an evo as compared lets say to something like a turboed passat.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

there is a bit of a difference there. I would stick with a VW 1.8t or like a 2g eclipse for a first turbo car...but i guess it doesn't make a difference. You can get used to anything. just get ready to experience a little more lag and a lot more power with an evo
Old Dec 24, 2004, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

my very first turbo.......

i've owned only NA Hondas....but feel confidently mechanically inclined....(grammar check, hehe)

it is a total different world...total 180....things that i would do or want to do on my NA cars....i can't do them on a turbo....

nonetheless...i'm learning everyday....and with the help of the kind folks on EvoM, I'm feeling even more confident on what i want to do....

this is my first turbo....and i can't stop readin' about it....readin' about what to do, what NOT to do...everyone here has alot of info to give....and it's great....

so far within the last month of ownin the car....i've learned how to do ALOT of installs..., i've learned the EVO is expensive on maintenance (thank goodness for the free maintenance on 05 EVO's, i save a bit that way)

research, research, research....knowledge is power.....i read before i buy....that way...i don't waste money....and i don't buy something that's gonna hurt my car, with the route i'm takin on mild modding.....

Old Dec 24, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

1g/2g dsm are good turbo starter cars. I learned a lot from my 95 GS-T.. and now a lot of what I learned applies directly to the EVO.

I don't think the EVO is a good first car though.. or a first sports car.. but that's just me.. I could just be getting old
Old Dec 24, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

^ sounds like my dad. j/k. i had a 02 1.8t beetle before my evo, and have never really thought about the turbo question that much. you might be factoring wayyy to much thought into it. i mean if you can afford it (and i mean insurance maintenance and payments + plus mods) and think you can stay out of trouble with it, then do it. sure it might take a little geting used to, but it is all grins after that. good luck.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

My Evo is my first turbo car, and my first car period, the hardest part for me wasgetting used to the onslaut of power when the turbo spools. All that power comes on and thats were I beleive the potential for trouble to arise. my .02
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, the RS is my first turbo car, unless you count the Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon my wife used to have -- obviously not a performance car.

I have been driving performance cars for 30 years, and LOVE what my EVO does with its high strung and easily modifiable turbo.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I had a VW GTI 1.8T for my first turbo car , and that got me use to the whole turbo situation , then wheni got my evo it was diffrent alot more torque alot more power alot more to spool but as soon as you get use to it its a beast that you will love forever !
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

actually...my first turbo car was a 95 integra with the 'Tornado' in the intake tract....

lol...sorry...i'm a goof...my bad............ ok....bye...
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Lunchbox, the EVO is not a bad car. For a first turbo car, I would probably go with a 1g/2g DSM. They have a lot of similarities (SP) and they're a bit easier on the pocket than the EVO. With something as frequent as an oil change, you won't be forking over as much for the $10 oil filter and the $20 - $30 case of oil the EVO requires. Or the 30K mi intervals of changing all the tranny fluids in EVO. Or frying your clutch if you don't know how to drive AWD right.

If you have a friend with an EVO, take the time to browse through the owner's guide and service guide and see what you could be getting yourself into. On one of the first introductions, it states that "this is a high performance vehicle and requires more maintainence than other cars." Or something along those lines.

Like other people stated before me, if you can support the monthly payment, the insurance premium increase, gas consumption increase, maintainance cost increase, mods, speeding tickets, exotic car wash/wax, etc., and are prepared to do so, then go for it. If not, then start on something a step down and work your way up.

That's just my .02 ...
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant really compare the evo and the passat for first turbo car. but if you want to take it easy with your first turbo car - get the passat. its such a nice smooth ride. you need to test drive them
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up free maintenace...check ur local area

i agree with DaGul regarding expenses and educatin urself......it's pricey...

but...maybe this will help a bit.......and i touched on it...but here's a bit more detailed info...

....MMC's new warranty also offers free maintenance on the 04.5 and 05 EVOs up to 45 months or 45k miles (depending on your area)...i live in so cal...and we have that luxury...and it will help out quite a bit....

but it is only for 'scheduled' maintenance....

which means free oil changes every 5k, free 15k service, free 30k service....

so if ur a 3k oil changer...it'll be roughly every other oil change you would have to pay for....not bad...

after that time is up ..ur on ur own...

i think it's safe to say we all want you to get an EVO and join us in NEVOLAND, but we don't want you to regret the car, and make a mistake with it if ur not ready,.....

research research research....study study study....

good luck

Last edited by Wicked05; Dec 24, 2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

this is my first turbo car, I dont think you need prior turbo cars to own an evo.........
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:41 AM

evo is my first turbo car...and i love it...learnign alot all the time
Old Dec 24, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blitzbaster02
this is my first turbo car, I dont think you need prior turbo cars to own an evo.........
Neither do I, but I was speaking/typing from a financial standpoint. If you're not ready to take on the financial responsibilities that come with owning an EVO, a car of similar caliber like a 1g/2g DSM can be had for less money and offer similar performace and feel. And they are a bit easier on the pocket when it comes to insurance premiums and maintanence depending on how good of a condition it's in at time of purchase.

I bought my EVO second hand and spent almost 2K within the first month of owning to get it where I wanted cosmetically, and mechanically, fixing all the previous owner's screw-ups. But looking at it in the overall view, I still saved a ton of money over buying one brand new considering KBB value is still 8k+ more than what I got it for.

Bottom line, live within your means, if you can afford the EVO, go for it, if not, you may want to look into something of similar caliber but costs less to purchase and to own. You may want to try looking at www.Edmunds.com and check out their "true cost to own" figures and see what you would or could be spending in the long run. Either which way you decide to go, good luck in your purchase and hopefully you don't go through the headache I did.

Quick Reply: evo good first turbo car?