Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need help with EGT temp!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with EGT temp!!!

whats the normal EGT temperature for the evo viii? mine used to read 10 when dricing normal(shifting under 3000) and reaching 13 when i would racr the hell outta my car But not that i installed a Br cone filter, normal temp is 11 and sometimes it goes up to 13 when i floor it a little bit. Which is the normal temp for this? im kinda lost
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:34 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

You normally drive your car by shifting below 3000 rpm??

What does your EGT gauge read? Where is your sensor mounted -- in the manifold or after the turbo?

I am going to assume the following to answer your question:
1) Your gauge reads in Fahrenheit
2) The gauge is mounted after the turbo
3) 10 is actually 1000 deg Fahrenheit – factor of 100

For comparison, my sensor is mounted in the exhaust manifold on cylinder 2 and my car is completely stock. I see 700C (1300F) around town and up to 875C (1600F) on a sustained 4th gear pull. Given your readings, your temps appear to be much lower than mine. This indicates that your sensor probably is installed after the turbo as this can result in a drop of 200 to 300 degrees. With these assumptions, your readings are quite normal.

You indicated that you just swapped your intake and noticed a rise in temperature. This is to be expected as you are introducing more air into the system and creating a leaner mixture. This results in higher temperatures. It is unlikely that the temperatures you are getting are too high.

Do you have an ECU flash and if so, is it setup for the new intake? If yes then PM the tuner and ask about your temps. You could also call Buschur Racing as they will be familiar with their intake.

Good luck,
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for your reply, it was quite useful. My EGT is a cobalt autometer, and reads in Farenheit, so 10 or 13 would be equal to 1000 or 1300. And it is installed on the manifold, cylinder number 2 just like yours. Now reads 10 when the car is idling, when im driving normal, shifting before 3000rpm, it reads eleven, and when i shift passing 3000 yet not redlining, it goes max to 12. I figured if i raced, then it wouldbt probably go to 14. I only installed an air filter, not an intake. Only removed the stock airbox and put a Br cone filter. I guess the temps changed since more hot air is going inside the turbo and manifold. So are my readings normal? also what is the vacuum supposed to read? mine reads 18 ( cobalt autometer) and im boosting 20 all the way through redline with a hallman MBC. thanks