Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

scariest drive ever

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scariest drive ever

for anybody still with the advan, get snow tires. it snowed a little over here, 2 inches or 3 but i just got home from work, usually it takes me 15 minutes today it took me an hour and half. first i get to a stop sign, push the brakes gently, the abs kicks in and the car just kept going to the middle of the street, thank god no cars were coming, then i get to a turn, i am in 2nd gear try to turn and the car went straight with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and almost hit the curb. all this was at around 20 mph. scared the sh*t out of me.
the snow got me by surprise but the blizzaks are on the way.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Iced roads are my worst nightmare. Not a lot of them here in Calif. but I travel a lot. Let us know how the Blizzaks work out!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Heh.. Welcome to the world of all-seasons..

First winter I had the car I tried to take it out ONCE on the Yoko's in snow.. I got a few blocks from my house, turned around and took out my Neon... This year I have proper all-season performance tires.. I'm able to get around no trouble with these new tires.. The biggest problem I actually have is the morons in SUV's who think they can drive "Normal" speeds in bad weather.. I get the gut feeling the car will get BLASTED by one of these idiotic soccer moms..

With the snow or all season tires, theres an unbelievable sense of confidence and stability driving in poor weather.. Totally different than with the stock tires.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

damn that sounds exactly like my nightmares i get about driving. except in my nightmare it isnt snowing nor theres ice. scary stuff.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

What is this "snow" thing you speak of???
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:31 AM
aqs

well no kidding.. the Advans are summer tires (your window sticker also tells you this, or at least, it should)
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

It was icey as **** here and I was on bald Advans... ... took about 2.5 hours to go 35 miles.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I managed to use the Advans in the snow last season with the ABS fuse pulled, but I wouldn't recommend it. The day after I bought my car there was a freak snowstorm, and the local tire places didn't have any snow tires that would fit the Evo. They could have ordered them but they couldn't get there before the snow melted & I wouldn't need them anymore lol.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't even get out of my driveway with the Advans. Not only is snow bad but cold weather as well.... Advans don't heat up very well below like 40.

Blizzaks rule!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I love the Evo but living in the Midwest, you got to get all season's or dedicated snow tires. I just replaced the Advan's for some Sumitomo's HTR+'s all seasons. It snowed this weekend, a little but nothing I could really do any tests in. All I know is they got to be better than the Advans. I went through 2 intersections last year with the Advans, I just couldn't stop. I wouldn't risk it again.... and I love to take risks too. NOBODY should be driving Advans in the snow, it's just too risky.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
What is this "snow" thing you speak of???
It's kind of like hurricanes, but much colder and not as damaging...
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Thats why last week i bought a Honda Element AWD for this winter. another reason is to keep my attention away from the evo cuz i already put 16k miles on it in 6 months. The Evo is so addicting!!
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

yea good stuff, i was driving those for a short time, and its a miracle i didnt hit someone or something, you so much as just tap the brakes, the evo is going sideways. its wierd, never seen a car do that, then again. i've never drivin tires like those in the snow.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:13 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sylvester31
for anybody still with the advan, get snow tires. it snowed a little over here, 2 inches or 3 but i just got home from work, usually it takes me 15 minutes today it took me an hour and half. first i get to a stop sign, push the brakes gently, the abs kicks in and the car just kept going to the middle of the street, thank god no cars were coming, then i get to a turn, i am in 2nd gear try to turn and the car went straight with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and almost hit the curb. all this was at around 20 mph. scared the sh*t out of me.
the snow got me by surprise but the blizzaks are on the way.
Should have stepped out of the car and let couple of PSI of air out from your tires. Running 40psi on rock hard tires won't help you turn
Old Dec 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

just had a chance to try out my nitto 555's in the snow in the northern jersey area. probably the most fun i've ever had in the snow =D