Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

which intake?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can tell you is I have the HKS RS and I can't say anything bad about it, can't go wrong
Old Dec 31, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

I have Stage 1+....had the RS and it was good (plus it definitely had the "sound effect" of the stock diverter valve).....now I'm back to the stock intake, and it feels much more torquey...I have heard that the only time you want to consider an aftermarket intake is when you install a bigger turbo.....I agree.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lilman8403
anyone have and like the Turbo XS with a K&N filter? Know where i can see performance results?
i have the K&N drop in filter... You can only feel a slight difference... but it does feel like the car breathes easier (whatever that means) on the freeway... Gains from what i read was 4-7whp...
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

HKS SUCTION-- Dyno proven to increase hp
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

seems the EVO has very tempermental metering when modding on a stock ecu and stock components.

if ur going mild....stick with a drop-in or stock box. i took off the stock box cover on my buddy's stock 03 yesterday just to see if there was a difference in sound...and yes there is a huge difference in sound...you can hear the bov and such....but as i was putting the cover back (with the car running) the idling stumbled a bit due to disruption in air flow...so it is pretty tempermental....

if ur looking to go mod-crazy and want more power...it looks like everyone here would say then invest in a hi-flow like the hks or what not...and get ur baby tuned....

Last edited by Wicked05; Jan 1, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:06 AM
Account Disabled

I would recoemend the HKS RS kit becuase it also includes the mass air pipe that goes to the turbo

With either intake you will need a reflash to properly adjust the a/f ratio and realize the full power gains of the intake
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:34 AM

Al, the only concern that has arisen from reading this thread and attached threads, is that by running a aftermarket intake the a/f because less stable than stock. Can this be easily fixed by tuning. Can the a/f be returned to the same stablility as the stock intake?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

I didnt get any responses defending the arc... all i got was feedback on the hks and keeping the stockbox... oh well... cus i really wanted to know more bout the arc...
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i like the way the arc looks, can anyone else vouch for the performance of it?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

yeah well i already bought the Hks RS but i cant tell much about it yet cus i may have a leak on the upper ic pipe to the stock lower ic pipe. so im not sure bout the gains yet...
Old Feb 10, 2005, 01:09 PM
DCD
Evolving Member

I asked my mechanic this question the other day. His shop is ST high tec, but its down here in NZ so no one has probably heard of it, but trust me he has one of the best reputations in New Zealand
He was saying that the ARC is bad. It sucks a lot of hot air and he dosn't recommend it.
The HKS is his pick, but when I asked him about hot air he replied that it will be fine when you are moving, but when you are in heavy traffic etc.... it will probably decrease your power from lack of air flow. Ideally HKS + somethinglike Kansai air box but thats VERY expensive (but looks so sexy I want!). He recommended that I get the HKS then he will just whip up an aluminum heat shield between that and the turbo etc.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

dude get an injen intake.They are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rally Red Evo 8