Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recommendation on seat cover?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey evoglh could you give me a direct link to where i can get those exact same seat covers. i have looked on there site and they hae hundreds of seat covers. i wont some that fit as good as yours do. and only cost 30 dollars

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
I'm using front seat covers made by Saddleman. Best-fitting covers I could find; not an exact fit, but usable & hold up well to daily use & abuse.

Advantages:
1) Almost completely impervious to water, snow & dirt. Nothing (not even grease!) has gotten through or stained them yet!
2) They wipe clean easily (babywipe, damp rag, etc.).
3) Very wear-resistant. After 6 months of use, not so much as a single mark from everything they've been exposed: my dog's nails, tools left in my back pockets, keychain, etc.
4) Lots of storage pockets.
5) Upper portion adjustable via 'drawstrings" for a better fit to seat.
6) Cheap. (bought a pair for $30.00)

Drawbacks:
1) Seats have a 'slippery' feel, so a harness for Lenny is an absolute must!
2) Not an exact fit (When nothing is in seat, center section of seat looks 'floppy', and will try to raise & flatten itself to match the max height of the side bolsters. When occupied, the center section tries to flatten the curves out of the side bolsters.)
3) Seam strength could be better - barely hold up to the typical American posterior. Seam on the passenger side's outer bottom bolster is beginning to stretch apart, is going to need to be reinforced\restitched soon.
4) Bottom section of seat is tightened by barely-adequate elastic straps.
5) Very limited color combinations.
6) They completely hide those ungodly expensive (but beautiful) Recaros.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RKT SHP
Hey EvoGLH, could you give me a direct link to where I can get those exact same seat covers. I have looked on their site and they have hundreds of seat covers. I want some that fit as good as yours do, and only cost 30 dollars
RKT SHP - Thanks for the compliment on the seat covers Some folks don't seem to like 'em very much, but under those seat covers my Recaros are in much, much better condition than theirs!

Here's the direct link to the seat covers:
http://www.saddleman.com/wsapp/ws/un...egant__30.html

Way down at the bottom of the page, you'll see item "#36 - X Bound Seat Cover"
Saddleman's webpage list the price at $34.99 each, but I picked mine up at a local Murrey's Auto Parts for $14.99 each. I've also come across the exact same seat covers (and in all 3 color combos) at Walmart, Meijer's, and at other auto supply stores - price can range from $14.99 to $19.99 each.

EvoSam - Great choice of dog. Quite a few friends & relatives had Boxers way back when I was younger (Excellent family pets!) Boxers are the only other breed of dog I'd even consider for a family pet if I ever had to replace my current "babies": purebred APBTs (American Pit Bull Terriers)
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I've just ordered this for my back seat. My shepherd always sits in back, harnessed to the child seats.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2001+113236

Anyway, it looks rather nice and should do a good job of keeping the pet hair off my seats. And given how wet/sandy it is outside, this will be much better than the blanket I have stretched across the seat now. I can let you know how well it works once I get them in and use them for a bit... our dog comes with me almost everywhere too. Hopefully will be here soon next week.

I ordered the charcoal 54" rear seat cover, FYI.
-N
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Neilschelly - Post pics. Like to see how they look installed. When my four-footed "baby" rides in back, I'm doing the blanket routine too - haven't been able to find a rear seat cover that fits, is easily installed\removed, allows the use of all 3 seatbelts\LATCH positions, and doesn't look like crap.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
Neilschelly - Post pics. Like to see how they look installed. When my four-footed "baby" rides in back, I'm doing the blanket routine too - haven't been able to find a rear seat cover that fits, is easily installed\removed, allows the use of all 3 seatbelts\LATCH positions, and doesn't look like crap.
Well, I'm hoping that this one will do all that... and the charcoal color and suede-like texture ought to make it fit in really nice aesthetically. I'll definitely post pics and maybe a few with Sol enjoying his new seat... ;-)
-N
Old Jan 1, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again guys for all the help, and compliments on Lenny. We've been spending all weekend in the Jeep with him in the back, but I'm going to pick up one of the Xbound seat covers for the 8. So far all the paw prints come right off the leather, and when it's pretty wet outside I carry him to the car to help keep it clean. Might be more difficult when he's no longer 25lbs.

For the price I can't see getting the rear seat cover yet as he'll spend most of the time up front with me, but I'll keep these links for future reference. Thanks guys.

Sam
Old Jan 1, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks evoglh i will probably try and go out and find those seat covers tomorrow. i dont have a dog or anythig. i just like to keep my seats nice. think i am going to try walmart and a few other places before i buy them on-line since you say that they are available there
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:44 PM
Eon

I bought two seat covers at AutoZone and had Evo VIII added to it. I know they might look cheesy but I have a kid and live in Utah where there’s snow and mud they have saved me from a couple of messes already...

They are not on perfect at the moment they have shifted a little but not much.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:22 PM

I got $17 Bell covers from Walmart for the Recaro's. They fit OK and keep the wear and tear down. The Dr Fosters for the rear bench looks great! Thanks!!
Old Jan 2, 2005, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoSam
For the price I can't see getting the rear seat cover yet as he'll spend most of the time up front with me, but I'll keep these links for future reference. Thanks guys.

Sam
The link I gave you also included bench seat ones for less money, but you should consider buying a harness for him as well and putting him in back. A dog, even only 25lbs or so, is a high speed flying object in a crash, even a 10mph impact. Dog's don't stand a chance to live in a crash and they can seriously injure or kill others if they are thrown into them.

Just a consideration.
-N
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, my wife was in an accident today where she was T-boned in her Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a minor accident (well, $3900 worth of damage according to one estimate) but it really made me think about what would have happened to Lenny had he been in the truck. I've given some very serious consideration to those harnesses.

Wife and the other party are fine.

Thanks,
Sam
Old Jan 6, 2005, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoSam
Yeah, my wife was in an accident today where she was T-boned in her Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a minor accident (well, $3900 worth of damage according to one estimate) but it really made me think about what would have happened to Lenny had he been in the truck. I've given some very serious consideration to those harnesses.

Wife and the other party are fine.

Thanks,
Sam
We don't actually have one of the made-for-cars harnesses anyway - they are expensive. We just have a normal harness, like you'd tie to a leash, and have a short leash that we use to lock it to the child seat restraints. It's the 95% solution for much less money, especially since we already had the harness.
-N
Old Jan 10, 2005, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:
I got the seat cover I linked to above and while my dog loved to lie in the material on the floor, the fitment in the car was bad... Effectively, all the seat belts were going to be covered because the center shoulder belt can't really get looped around without cutting (not too big a deal) and the outside belts would only have worked if they were mounted to the outside of the seats, rather than a few inches from the door.

Aside from the seatbelts, the seat back is too tall and the seat itself is too thin. The width measure of the car was about right, but after tucking the top of the seat cover in above the head rests, the seam couldn't get down to the base of the seat. If anything, I expected the material to cover the seat back to be longer than necessary, since you could easily tuck any excess into the seat itself, but it wasn't long enough by a long shot. And the seat itself was probably 9 inches too deep, so that the bottom of the seat cover, without stretching the elastic, could touch my front seats.

Anyway, very odd dimensions as I can't imagine the Lancer's rear seat is all that different from most sedans. But I'm not giving up just yet. I'll be returning this and hopefully will find another more suitable seat somewhere. And if I get too frustrated with that, I may try and make my own - can't be that hard.
-N