Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recommendation on seat cover?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation on seat cover?

Before you give me any grief for wanting to use a seat cover, read on.

This past Sunday (Boxing day, and my bday) I got my new buddy, Lennox (Lenny). See avatar. The plan is he'll go where I go, to that end I want to protect my passenger seat from his feet.

I have the leather seats, and since they have the extra tall head rests I'm not sure of any seat covers that will work. Someone else out there has to have put one in at some point, that person is who I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot,
Sam
Old Dec 30, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Nobody?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I can tell a cover set doesn't exist. I think you will need to have something made up locally.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are some covers for reacing seats that's made of nylon.

They sell it at pepboys and autozone for like $30 +. But I'm sure you could find some better ones online.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 12:06 AM

catskinz?.... perhaps
Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
momo actually makes some back when but I don't know if they still do or not.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the hawaiian print seatcovers that everyone in hawaii will fit. the shape of the seat is pretty close to the seat cover. I'm sure you are not looking for a perfect fit since it's for your dog., actually any high back bucket seat cover should do, you might have a little space of air cause of the large bolsters though. anyway, it's for your dog!
Old Dec 31, 2004, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

I had a set of these (http://www.wetokole.com/) on my Subaru when I traded the car for the Evo. To be honest when I tried to pull them such that I could sell them off on Ebay it turned out that the dealer gave me more for the car than I'm sure that I could have received from an Ebay sale. (Note that the driver's seat was in mint condition under the cover.)

That said Wet Okole doesn't have a pattern for the Evo and needs a car in LA to develop the pattern. This is what occurred for the Subaru. I was just lucky that some owner dropped into their shop and got their car measured.

It's not that I really want neoprene seat covers, but there are times where it would really be nice to have them on the front seats...
Old Dec 31, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Seat covers for Recaros

I'm using front seat covers made by Saddleman. Best-fitting covers I could find; not an exact fit, but usable & hold up well to daily use & abuse.

Advantages:
1) Almost completely impervious to water, snow & dirt. Nothing (not even grease!) has gotten through or stained them yet!
2) They wipe clean easily (babywipe, damp rag, etc.).
3) Very wear-resistant. After 6 months of use, not so much as a single mark from everything they've been exposed: my dog's nails, tools left in my back pockets, keychain, etc.
4) Lots of storage pockets.
5) Upper portion adjustable via 'drawstrings" for a better fit to seat.
6) Cheap. (bought a pair for $30.00)

Drawbacks:
1) Seats have a 'slippery' feel, so a harness for Lenny is an absolute must!
2) Not an exact fit (When nothing is in seat, center section of seat looks 'floppy', and will try to raise & flatten itself to match the max height of the side bolsters. When occupied, the center section tries to flatten the curves out of the side bolsters.)
3) Seam strength could be better - barely hold up to the typical American posterior. Seam on the passenger side's outer bottom bolster is beginning to stretch apart, is going to need to be reinforced\restitched soon.
4) Bottom section of seat is tightened by barely-adequate elastic straps.
5) Very limited color combinations.
6) They completely hide those ungodly expensive (but beautiful) Recaros.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Cool dog. Boxers are awesome dogs.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

I went to a seat cover shop and had them fit a set of "semi-custom" sheep skin seat covers. Semi-custom is an already made seat cover they have that is modified to fit the side bolsters on the Recaro. Before I get flamed for putting seat covers on the Recaro's, I resisted the covers until there wear marks on the seat from geting in and out. Anyway it cost me $130 and they even made a cover for my arm rest.
Attached Thumbnails Recommendation on seat cover?-dscf0002.jpg  
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sheep skin WTF omg that made me throw up in my mouth!
Old Dec 31, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the tips and the compliment on Lenny. So far I'm just happy with the leather as it's easy to clean, but a cover will be a must. I'll check into your recommendations and hope to soon have a covered seat.

I love this dog.

Sam
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoisdream
Sheep skin WTF omg that made me throw up in my mouth!
Yea, yea.........they look a lot better in person that the low res pic. Probably wouldnt be a good choice with a dog though....
Old Jan 1, 2005, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BuLocal
I went to a seat cover shop and had them fit a set of "semi-custom" sheep skin seat covers. Semi-custom is an already made seat cover they have that is modified to fit the side bolsters on the Recaro. Before I get flamed for putting seat covers on the Recaro's, I resisted the covers until there wear marks on the seat from geting in and out. Anyway it cost me $130 and they even made a cover for my arm rest.
Actually, i like sheepskin, and was thinking of doing the same myself!, i had some in my civic, and almost got them in my s-10. they are very comfortable, are cooler in the heat, and warmer when the weather gets colder( here in hawaii, 72 degrees is cold!). anyway, the sheepskin guys probably can get the best fit, but i would still get a cheapy generic cover if its for my dog. if you get really desperate, an xl t-shirt will do if you absolutely need a cover right away( i.e., dog is dirty and needs to go to vet right now.)

Quick Reply: Recommendation on seat cover?