Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsu Emission Test?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by propellerhead
Call Ken Boshart @ Boshart Engineering up and ask him what he wants with the car.

Seriously though, I'm thinking that Mitsubishi has a bunch of cars out there throwing ODB-II P0300 codes. As far as I know, major emissions components are mandated by the EPA to be covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. It seems that Mitsubishi hasn't been able to solve the P0300 issue. Perhaps they have farmed out the research to figure out how to fix these cars rather than slip into a deeper problem when a crapload of even stock Evos fail emissions tests.
I thought had an ECU reflash to fix the P0300 issue...
Old Jan 4, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
I thought had an ECU reflash to fix the P0300 issue...
I know they released a firmware update but I thought I had read that it wasn't effective in all cases. Maybe I'm mistaken.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have now got the infamous letter myself, today. It seemed like a good deal, but now I'm really torn after reading all this.

I wouldn't mind the rental car for as the letter says, "10 or fewer working days", plus some cash and the 10 year warranty. My concern is what exactly will be done to the transmission, and what exactly will be done during testing? Will my car sit on the dyno at redline for half the time? for ANY percentage of the time?

I think I might drive out there Saturday, see what this place is all about. Maybe the mechanics there can give better details. If anyone does this...SPEAK UP!!
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to add my $.02... Been following this thread for awhile. Personally, I haven't received that letter but that convert the EVO to 2wd is not hard at all... Think back to DSM days. A common mod was to weld the center diff so that there would be constant power going to all four wheels. Think back to early last year when SCC did cover on a drifting WRX. They labeled their issue "THE BEAUTY OF TWO WHEEL DRIVE." They converted the Scooby to RWD by installing a special center diff that engages only the rear wheels. I'm sure that these people are probably going to be doing something similar. It's a lot more straight forward than removing either axles to free spin or something of that sort. So I don't think they'd F*up our trannies if they went about things with a modified center diff.

As far as the legitimacy of this whole testing, I'm pretty skeptical about it. Like I said, I haven't received the letter myself. I wouldn't mind participating in this if they fronted more cash and gave us 05 EVO VIII/RS/MR as a loaner. I'm sure people can agree to that.

Anyway, I just wanted to put out that bit of information since no one has really addressed how our car could possibly be converted to 2WD...
Old Jan 12, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Any update on this? Still I have to repeat. Why would they want to test a AWD car...modified to a 2WD when it passed the EPA as a AWD car when Mitsu. began selling the car?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Something doesn't add up here. Be careful with this. Like many others have pointed out here already, is that why would this company approach end users to do some testing that's probably already been conducted by Mitsu's R&D dept. Our cars would have never been approved for sale here if they didn't pass all the emissions and safety standards.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ex-honda
Any update on this? Still I have to repeat. Why would they want to test a AWD car...modified to a 2WD when it passed the EPA as a AWD car when Mitsu. began selling the car?
I had hoped to go there last weekend, but they are only open M-F. Plus with the frickin non-stop rain here, I haven't felt like going too far. I still haven't decided what to do. I'd love to hear of someone that has done this.

I agree that it makes little if any sense, but that warranty is tempting. I've kind of got the impression that the EPA wants to test AWD as 2WD for comparison with other normal 2WD cars. I think they chose the Evo because of its limited production. Maybe that makes no sense, like I said I just don't know what to do.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:43 PM

I just go this letter also, but i'm from Chicago,IL. They wanted to transport my car to Ann Arbor,MI!
Old Jan 28, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DevilDuck
I just go this letter also, but i'm from Chicago,IL. They wanted to transport my car to Ann Arbor,MI!
I got it today and I'm in Rockford IL. I did notice that the information has changed.

Last edited by EnJaNir; Jan 28, 2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Me too! wtf
Old Jan 28, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Got one also. If they are going to trailer my car from Chicago to Michigan and back, i might consider it. I would also like to know how much millage would be added to my car? And definitely i would not accept a budget econocar as a replacement. I wonder if enterprise is renting a lotus exige or Corvette? Wishfull thinking.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I got it today too. I think Im going to call Mitsu R&D and offer my skills as an engineer (Purdue, 04) and see if I can get a job, haha.

Seriously though I dont trust anyone with my car. I bent over backwards to get my Evo with no miles on it, Im not going to let someone else abuse my car now. Maybe if Mitsu or Boshart offered a preview of the Evo X in the deal, I would think about it. Otherwise, its just not worth it.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I got it a few days ago myself. I scaned through the letter in a couple of secs and simply threw it in the trash! Either way, I would not want to drive my car or have it transported up to Ann Arbor, MI for that reason. I am not sure if they changed the milage limit, but I have only 3000 miles on my MR anyway.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

hmm if you didnt have stock parts would you even be eligible?
Old Jan 30, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds shady to me

Quick Reply: Mitsu Emission Test?