Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best Aftermarket Theft System

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know ppl in taiwan use a device if you try to jack the car you get shocked
suppose to stun the thief for 15 min but it's illegal here
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Matrix was $800 installed with hood and trunk pins and a proximity but i can sleep easy at night with my 2 way next to my head and know that if someone trys to take my car i can be out there in 10 seconds, on a side note I have insurance a cars not worth getting shot. But it would be fun to catch someone breaking in my car and beat their a$$.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

thats BS... it would short out the ecu and every other computer because eveything's grounded...

how much are you guys paying for these high end alarms? with paging, remote start, remote temp, etc...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Compustar. It has remote start, turbo timer, etc. I'm not sure on the price as it was installed when I bought the car, but I think it was under $1000 installed; seems like I looked at their website and one way or another found out the parts were around $600 alone. Its good, though. The two-way pager works up to 1/4 of a mile barring obstructions, and I've heard the new remote (which I may eventually upgrade to) has a range of a little less than 1 mile. I don't have the trunk-popper hooked up, but it exists if needed. It also has a paging system so if someone needs you and you are relatively close, they can tap your windshield and it will page you.

Because of the remote start, one key must be left in some box installed in the dash, to defeat the factory immobilizer. I thought this would be a problem, and it probably is against the most determined thief, but for the most part it seems fairly secure. It does have its own immobilization features, such as if its running and someone tries the door, or if the brake is depressed or the e-brake is released. Again, this could probably somehow be overcome with a determined thief, but I think overall the chances are slim. The only other thing to look out for is the battery life in the remote, I have to change the battery about once every month.

Anyway, its been a good alarm so far. It is kind of neat when a car drives by with a loud exhaust and the alarm doesn't go off but the pager beeps and vibrates to let me know.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not too worried about it getting stolen but w/ the punks who envy our car enough to vandalize it...alarm w/ shock sensor might deter them from harming the car or the LED might help too........what do u guys think?