Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Advice on buying EVO NOW!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on buying EVO NOW!!!!!!

Well, my initial plans were to buy a used 03 Evo, but when I finally went to the dealership, someone was driving away in it and it was sold. So disappointed, I was looking at another blk EVO but it was an 04 with SSL package, sticker said 34-35.

Yada Yada, I told the sales manager I really couldnt afford a new one, since he was pressing me b/c they already sold the used. He said he could do the 04 with 500 miles on it for 31 EVEN. I worked with him for like an hour and finally got the price where he would NOT go any lower: $29,800.

This is for a 2004 Black Evo with Leather, Sunroof, and Infinity system. SHOULD I DO IT! My other choices were really used 03s with 10-15k miles on them for $24-25k.

Since I can get the better interest rate on the 04 (5%) compared to used (6.5+%) should I go ahead with it?

I REALLY like the leather, sunroof and the nice sound system and the fact thats its basically new. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Please lemme know. Again, they will NOT go any lower, I was at the dealer for 3 hours budging. I told him Id think about it - but I NEED a car ASAP and I like this one so...but I dont wanna rush into anything so I need some help!

(also, does the 04 EVOs have better synchros?) THANKS!!!!!

Tom
Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

You are really not paying that much more for the car new vs a slightly used one, that's what I chose. I paid 30.5k with 4% interest for a brand new 04 evo minus sun/sound package and w/out sunroof.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is that including the tax? that's really 30,000 + tax and tag.

I say go with it, plus you get the maintenance plan.

Just make sure you read the find prints before doing anything.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
is that including the tax? that's really 30,000 + tax and tag.

I say go with it, plus you get the maintenance plan.

Just make sure you read the find prints before doing anything.
Correct, its basically $30k but I do get the maintenance **** and Im savy I know the fine prints tricks
Old Jan 3, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

The big point i see are the 500 miles. It seams to me that many of the people with clutches that burnt out early and drivetrain problems bought their car "new" with 100-500 miles already.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

you sound alot like me. i was infatuated with my car for about nine months before i finaly bought it. in my case im glad i waited though. originaly they wanted sticker for my car(27,300 for the rs) plus a 4,000 dollar adendum and that was alot more than i wanted to spend. after 6 more months i finaly bought the car for 26,500 with no adendum and never looked back. ive been totaly happy with the car and cant say enough good stuff about the whole experance. but thats me. if the car doesent fit into your budget than dont buy it , there will be more. by the way dont pay atention to anything the salesman says about high demand buy when you know its right
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by o4whtevors
you sound alot like me. i was infatuated with my car for about nine months before i finaly bought it. in my case im glad i waited though. originaly they wanted sticker for my car(27,300 for the rs) plus a 4,000 dollar adendum and that was alot more than i wanted to spend. after 6 more months i finaly bought the car for 26,500 with no adendum and never looked back. ive been totaly happy with the car and cant say enough good stuff about the whole experance. but thats me. if the car doesent fit into your budget than dont buy it , there will be more. by the way dont pay atention to anything the salesman says about high demand buy when you know its right
Haha yeah, Im glad I waited as well. Yeah the 500 miles on it bothers me too but when I drove the car the clutch felt good, but I know obviously that wont tell the whole life story of it. But 500 miles is better than the 15,000 miles I was going to buy an 03 had on it.

BTW, I could not believe the handling on the car when I drove it, it was pouring rain too so having the AWD is like a dream compared to FWD.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you do get some sort dealer 30 day thing, that would be nice.

If you get it, I would drive it around for at least 5000 miles or 10,000 miles before I do any mods, just so you'll have the warranty for tranny items.

do it.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

WAIT for the Evo IX......no matter how long you might have to wait. You will not regret it.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by evo_whiplash
The big point i see are the 500 miles. It seams to me that many of the people with clutches that burnt out early and drivetrain problems bought their car "new" with 100-500 miles already.
Maybe you should agree with the caveat that the dealer have the service department take the clutch out and make sure it's either in a "newish" condition or that they'll cover it under warrenty if it goes out (and not claim it was you that abused it). Get them to show it to you and so you can see it hasn't been "blued" by test drives or sales guys.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do u know that for 29.8 u can get 05 evo but w/o SSL- got my 05 w/ 5 miles & w/SSL for 32T, think about it first, is blk the color u really want? think about the new features of 05 vs 04 too

if they give you 10 years warranty on the 04 with 500 miles and you probably not going to mod the car, shhh.... i will say it is a very appealing price, go for it!
Evolving Member

Where are you at? I'm in South CA
i would recommend you get a brand new one for just like 200 extra... at least i got mine for 30k set tax, fee etc included.
If you need the dealer's info let me know.
good luck..
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
u may also try different dealerships for an MR at invoice, at 32+T, just be firm and patient and u may get it, where are u at?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

seems like a good deal, but if i were you and getting an EVO I'd get the 05 GSR for the same price with <10-15miles on it for the sake of knowing that no one else abused it. The Leather package sounds good etc and all depends on what you want, but at the end of the day the model is a year old.

Think about this: You get the 05 with Limited slip front diff and ACD. To me that's more important than leather in a performance car. Yeah the 04 will have HIDs so it depends on what you're after.

If you can wait it out a couple more months or even now go to a dealer and negotiate the price on the 05s and are willing to walk out if they give you a hard time and be patient you will end up with a great deal.

The best time to deal is towards the end of the month when they're trying to reduce inventory to close books.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on buying EVO NOW!!!!!!