Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Different pedals to ease shifting?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different pedals to ease shifting?

I wear size 12 shoes, and have found it pretty much impossible to heel/toe on the downshift. I've had to resort to quickly blipping the throttle to get the car down while braking. Does anyone sell pedals for the Evo designed specifically to ease shifting? If not, are there any other pedal sets that you've tried that made shifting easier? TIA.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

I wear a 12.5 in shoes and I can heel/toe...I don't think there are any pedals that will help that much, but you can try some with a longer gas pedal maybe so you can reach it easier with your heel.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by sleet
I wear a 12.5 in shoes and I can heel/toe...I don't think there are any pedals that will help that much, but you can try some with a longer gas pedal maybe so you can reach it easier with your heel.
I guess my ankles just aren't all that flexible. A longer gas pedal sounds like a worthwhile investment. I'll look around for OEM fit replacements..
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put on a Razo pedal extender and keep it on the middle width setting. I've had it on almost a year, and it still works great. I couldn't heel-to without it as I wear size 10 shoes.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

RRE modified my stock gas pedal for easier heel-and-toeing. The gas pedal is now set at an angle rather than straight up and down, so that the bottom edge of the gas pedal is closer to the brake pedal, than the top of the gas pedal is. It works great.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have size 8. All you have to do is put the ball of your foot half on the break, and you can easily tap the throttle with the outer side of the midfoot. Try not using you heel, it takes too much time to twist your heel over anyways and you have to rotate your ankle. Just brake and roll your foot to the outside to hit the throttle.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but just wondering why heel and toe is neccessary on an Evo. Some European cars like Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW have the gas pedal coming up from the floor and has brake pedal higher up than the gas pedal . So, heel and toe is a must.

But the EVO's gas pedal is right next to the brake pedal and at the same level. I wear size 9 shoes and I found it difficult/impossible to do heel and toe with my stock pedal, and i use the ball of my foot for the brake and the side of my foot for the gas. And it works perfect.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

get some LED light up pedals they should help you out...make sure they are APC
Old Jan 4, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by chantaiman51
But the EVO's gas pedal is right next to the brake pedal and at the same level. I wear size 9 shoes and I found it difficult/impossible to do heel and toe with my stock pedal, and i use the ball of my foot for the brake and the side of my foot for the gas. And it works perfect.
I did try this, and found that it slipped too easily, regardless of what shoes I had on. Maybe some new pedals with nice little spiked holes are in order.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Uh, heel-toe has never been more necessary in my opinion! How can you complain about pedal placement in this car! I just keep pressing with my ball on the brake, and just rotate my heel around clockwise in one smooth motion to "flick" the gas. Works every time and I'm a size 10.
The real key is even brake pressure, whatever works to blip up the RPM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

To keep your foot from slipping off the brake apply the pressure on the right edge of the brake pedal, push towards the clutch pedal left and down. This will give you the traction you need to pull it off without slipping off to the right between the brake and gas pedal.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

I got some sparco pedals with the little flange that sticks out from the bottom of the gas pedal. I have size 14 feet, so I try to keep all the fancy footwork to a min. The little flange allows me to use all of my right foot to brake, and just roll my ankle to blip the throttle. This way I dont have to worry about my foot slipping off the brake pedal when I go and try to blip the gas. I tried the right ball of foot and little toe thing, but it did not really work for me. I want to have a firm hold of the brake pedal, and this method allows me to brake just like I was driving an automatic. But with that said, there are lots of ways to do it, just find one that works for you.

Last edited by JohnnyPaycheck; Jan 4, 2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOSTEVO
get some LED light up pedals they should help you out...make sure they are APC
too funny
Old Jan 4, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
too funny
They need to be bright red R's.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

You may want to try the autovation pedals. They really helped me with my heel/toe downshift in the evo. --> http://autovation.net/groupbuy/Mitsu..._EVO/body.html

Quick Reply: Different pedals to ease shifting?