Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo???

hey whats up?? i would like to ask a few questions about the evo, because its awd and potential make it one of my top choices on a next car.

i heard that a evo still using the stock turbo can run 11's on pump gas and push 350whp with 91 octane. i get 93 octane so i was just wondering is 350+whp and a 11 sec. car possible using the stock turbo with full tuning and all supporting mods????

i also heard that maxed out with all supporting mods the evo will amke that power wost by 3000 rpm, is that true??

if full boost by 3000rpm, 350+whp on pump gas and 11 sec. slips usin the stock turbo, plus the awd advantage are are possible the evo is my car.

if u could help me out n let me know if this info iv researched is correct id really appreciate it.

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Another person buying the Evo for a drag car.....

People its main mission is handling and all-around performance.....

You want an 11 sec car, go look at Supras or F-bodies....
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
350 whp isn't too hard to achieve. Throw on a turbo-back exhaust, cams, gears, boost control, intake(not even really needed), fuel pump, flash and tune... you'll be right around there running 93. I'm sittin at 295.9 with exhaust, intake, boost control, fuel pump, flash, tune and a bunch of other things (non-performance). Add some cams and gears it should be around 330ish...and that's on a Mustang dyno. Just to let you know...every EVO is different.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:14 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Another person buying the Evo for a drag car.....

People its main mission is handling and all-around performance.....

You want an 11 sec car, go look at Supras or F-bodies....
Just because it's good at handling doesn't mean it makes a bad drag car. People like the Evo because it is cheaper than a supra and can put out close number on the track. Even if it is easier to go with American muscle or a supra or 300zxtt... maybe that person wants to be different.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just do a bit more search and you will find a lot of info about this topic. not many will answer your question because it had been covered many times.

to answer your questions. yes stock turbo can run 11 sec but only few people and tuners have done that (of course a great driver is a must here). some others have hit high 11s with the TME turbo which is pretty close to stock and with the bigger turbine side.

One guy here on the forums have ran low low 11s with stock turbo but he stated that the car was running on the edge of blowing. Bottom line that low 12s on stock turbo is possible and any true EVO lover can reach that. However, reaching 11s is not an easy task whether you are using the stock turbo or an after market one.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fre
Just because it's good at handling doesn't mean it makes a bad drag car. People like the Evo because it is cheaper than a supra and can put out close number on the track. Even if it is easier to go with American muscle or a supra or 300zxtt... maybe that person wants to be different.
Different? Go to any test and tune night at a strip and ask most kids with an Evo if they have ever autocrossed it. I promise 9 times out of 10 you will get a dumb-founded look out of them. Seems using an Evo for drag duty is hardly different amoung the younger crowd, and once again it does not showcase the car's true strengths.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

i've never auto crossed mine before.... something about driving in the mall parking lot as fast as you can dodging orange cones and parking blocks seem unappealing to me...

however i have driven mine on the road course several times
Old Jan 5, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats, and not all of us can afford track days.......

Im sure road course time with an Evo would be a joy though. I was just using autox as an example, not the rule.....
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:45 AM

ok first to the people who were cool and helped me out, thanks.

to the guy that said no ones going to answer because its been covered. you need to let the whole "just search" aditude go, besides if you read my post i diuble checking my info by asking actuall evo drivers.

now to the real a-hole, the guy who assumed im trying to make a evo a drag car. first off there are a number of bad *** evo drag cars that still can kill on a road course but that besides my point because my car will most likely never see the drag strip because IT WONT BE A DRAG CAR YOU DUMBASS. do you expect everyone to keep their evo stock? because thats what you sound like, since modding makes a cars e/t lower. you know that right?? and you say just becuase i want a 11 sec. evo i want a drag car.

point is i want a 11 sec. evo with just as much effort put into the suspension and every other aspect of the car that went into the engine to make be able to run a qm in 11 sec. it will be a street car plain and simple ment to perform in all area to the max while tearing up the street. i like the evo because it can be made into a 11 sec. car that can handle great in rain and snow as well as on dry streets.(whitch you cant say about a supra or a 300z) oh and you ever hear about the 450+whp evos that rank at the top in time attacks?? im pretty sure theyd tear up a drag strip even though the last thing they are is drag cars.

any way, to the people who helped me out thanks i appreciate it.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I really enjoy attitude...makes reading posts fun
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Just remember, once you get that high up on power. You are going to have to replace many other things and the possibility of breaking things increases. Clutches is going to be somthing on your list aswell
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pushnlacs
to the guy that said no ones going to answer because its been covered. you need to let the whole "just search" aditude go, besides if you read my post i diuble checking my info by asking actuall evo drivers.

I dont know why you have an aditude. I gave you a lot of info about your question and I was nice. But the search must be used as this topic had been coverd more than 100 times.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Just do a bit more search and you will find a lot of info about this topic. not many will answer your question because it had been covered many times.

to answer your questions. yes stock turbo can run 11 sec but only few people and tuners have done that (of course a great driver is a must here). some others have hit high 11s with the TME turbo which is pretty close to stock and with the bigger turbine side.

One guy here on the forums have ran low low 11s with stock turbo but he stated that the car was running on the edge of blowing. Bottom line that low 12s on stock turbo is possible and any true EVO lover can reach that. However, reaching 11s is not an easy task whether you are using the stock turbo or an after market one.
agree with him. Yes it is possible but ur running very close to blowing ur engine. It can be done but i would recomend at lest 93 Oct. and be sure to have guages so u can watch ur car specs constently. But yes it is possible but somewhat dangerous.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 05:35 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Different? Go to any test and tune night at a strip and ask most kids with an Evo if they have ever autocrossed it. I promise 9 times out of 10 you will get a dumb-founded look out of them. Seems using an Evo for drag duty is hardly different amoung the younger crowd, and once again it does not showcase the car's true strengths.

What I meant by different is something different than the typical drag cars I see, which are not evos. I have seen only a few. Oh and to each their own. I like road racing, but don't have tracks around me. What I meant was that just because it's good at road racing doesn't mean it isn't a good drag car. I use a lot of its potential all the time though in the twisties.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

this car is not build for 1/4 mile drag

if you want to drag get a srt4 it's cheap its good for "stright" line

if you drag with the evo you might end up paying more on repair the the car