Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In the market for EVO a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sti feels so much faster than EVO

Well, im going to buy an EVO or STi, I have driven them both but for some reason the EVO feels much slower to me than the sti. My goal in either of them is 300whp, which is attainable in either car, but info is much easier to find here than any subbie sites for the STi. anywho, A TBE, mbc 20psi, (read from searchs that intake is a waste) correct me if wrong, and say a flash, that would yield around 270ishwhp? What would be needed to achieve 300whp, dont want to do cams. I'm looking at gettin a sweet deal on a 03 EVO 23,000 20k its bone stock and mint, let me know if thats not a good deal, because from what i been searching its pretty good. STi is costing over 5k more and same mileage, don't really think its worth it.

Just confused on why the STi's feel so much faster than the EVO. Also what does a typical 300whp EVO run 1/4mi@?. Was thinking also just going Buschur Stage 1 and calling it a day, but heard some unhappy people.

Last thing, can I make the necessary adjustments to my 03 to make it like an 05, It was a turbo exhaust nozzle and a spring right? From what i have been reading the 05 put down 15-20whp more.

THanks for the help.

Last edited by Bullseye; Jan 6, 2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

First, do please consider the search tool.

Second, the STi definitely has more bottom end. It's pretty evident in 1st gear. But 2nd through 4th the STi and an Evo with the 10.5 hotside (2005) are essentially dead even. After that, they're still even, except the MR which will gain 1-2 mph over the STi over time due to more aggressive gearing. Still, it's negligable.

300WHP? Piggyback ECU, new exhaust all the way back to the turbo's O2 housing, and cam gears will get you a good portion of the way there. At sea level, I'd expect 300WHP to be getting close to a flat 12 on slicks, if not barely busting into 11's. But... I'd never have an Evo for a drag car considering the car can attain cornering speeds only bested by cars such as the Ariel Atom and Catheram Super Sevens.

As for '03 to '05 -- good luck. The front-diff is no longer open, but a limited-slip unit, and you can't exactly install ACD. Those two additions change the Evo's handling characteristics VERY significantly. There's also ECU changes, changes to the Sports ABS setup (to accomodate ACD and the new diff), etc. that are not worth trying to replicate.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

where are you at? I have a 04 sti with 4800 miles on it. It's garage kept from day one and flawless. I am asking 29k for it but maybe willing to negotiate. I am in Colorado BTW. I don't really have to sell it but I thinking of getting my wife a new car. I also have a 03 evo and I agree with you that sti feels faster due to the torque right off the line. I do like the evo's handling a little better but a little mod on the suspension will fix that on the sti. Also, the only mod I have on the sti is whiteline steering rack bushing which dramatically improves steering feel and response. Pm me if interested.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

There were a couple decision points for me in getting the Evo over the sti. First, the evo's back seat is actually useful. Second, I was unable to test drive an sti here as the Subaru dealer wouldn't allow test drives of their sti. I think they are both nice cars, and 300whp should be pretty easy in either. With a little searching, you'll see tons of 300+whp evo's and the mods used to get there. As far as the Buschur stuff, I've heard a lot more good than bad (there's always a bit of bad, with any products/tuners), so I'd say it's a good way to go if you decide on the evo.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

you can get 275 at wheels with an 05 and a hallman MBC set at 21 psi.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
First, do please consider the search tool.

Second, the STi definitely has more bottom end. It's pretty evident in 1st gear. But 2nd through 4th the STi and an Evo with the 10.5 hotside (2005) are essentially dead even. After that, they're still even, except the MR which will gain 1-2 mph over the STi over time due to more aggressive gearing. Still, it's negligable.

300WHP? Piggyback ECU, new exhaust all the way back to the turbo's O2 housing, and cam gears will get you a good portion of the way there. At sea level, I'd expect 300WHP to be getting close to a flat 12 on slicks, if not barely busting into 11's. But... I'd never have an Evo for a drag car considering the car can attain cornering speeds only bested by cars such as the Ariel Atom and Catheram Super Sevens.

As for '03 to '05 -- good luck. The front-diff is no longer open, but a limited-slip unit, and you can't exactly install ACD. Those two additions change the Evo's handling characteristics VERY significantly. There's also ECU changes, changes to the Sports ABS setup (to accomodate ACD and the new diff), etc. that are not worth trying to replicate.
Don't get cam gears, you won't get much out of them. A full 3" TB exhaust, MBC, Intake, Fuel pump and a tune will get you around 300WHP, it got me more
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bullseye
Well, im going to buy an EVO or STi, I have driven them both but for some reason the EVO feels much slower to me than the sti. My goal in either of them is 300whp, which is attainable in either car, but info is much easier to find here than any subbie sites for the STi. anywho, A TBE, mbc 20psi, (read from searchs that intake is a waste) correct me if wrong, and say a flash, that would yield around 270ishwhp? What would be needed to achieve 300whp, dont want to do cams. I'm looking at gettin a sweet deal on a 03 EVO 23,000 20k its bone stock and mint, let me know if thats not a good deal, because from what i been searching its pretty good. STi is costing over 5k more and same mileage, don't really think its worth it.

Just confused on why the STi's feel so much faster than the EVO. Also what does a typical 300whp EVO run 1/4mi@?. Was thinking also just going Buschur Stage 1 and calling it a day, but heard some unhappy people.

Last thing, can I make the necessary adjustments to my 03 to make it like an 05, It was a turbo exhaust nozzle and a spring right? From what i have been reading the 05 put down 15-20whp more.

THanks for the help.
it seems you are in a market to modify your car, then clear choice is evo
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, if you're going to be modding the car then I would recommend the EVO over the STi.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBC,Flash(or piggyback ),Turboback,header,Intake,Pump,FPR will made you 28xwhp to 31x whp and oh yeah a clutch kit,
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:43 AM

For the guy who recommended the search tool thats what i have been doing for the past few days And finally came up with the questions i did because people flip flop as bad as Kerry on some issues. For the guy with the MBC hks intake, and turbotrix tune, have you taken you car to a 1/4mi run? Just curious at what it would trap at. I know sti's trap at around 108-09ish with those kind of mods from what i have been researching. I leaning toward the EVO just due to the fact I can get one 5-6k cheaper.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

i have read several seraches cause i own an evo and i am on my way to 300whp... first off intakes i have read articles, they are not a waste if you get a good tune. all from Dynoflash has a great track record with them... secondly from what i have read here are some mods that will give you 300whp... Full turboback exhaust ( catless ), Intake, Fuel pump, boost controller, and a good reflash ( once again i'll mention dynoflash ), but any of these tuners ( ie. vishnu, Turbotrix and etc ) all have about the same.... thats what i have read gives you a 300whp evo....

now from my experience i have an turbo back exhaust ( catless) and an intake, and you feel a HUGE difference in performance, i believe my car vs a stock sti will walk from it...

But anyways. hey good luck with chosing, either one of these cars you can get 300whp from, its just a matter of what you like best....

if it helps you even more i was in the same situation, and took the evo cause you see ( well where i live ) way less evos then you do wrx/sti's, plus the handling was the BIGGEST factor
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure why you would only evaluate either one of these cars in a straight line and for power only. You can get a brand new 300 hp mustang gt for $25,000, you can probably pick up an '03 cobra for about that as well (over 400 bhp with a set of pipes). Put some slicks on that puppy and you're gone!
If you do want a car that handles, pick up a few car magazines and read their evo/sti comparisons, they all say the exact same thing.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

If you plan to Mod, there is no comparison. The evo has so many more options to get increased power and the 4G63 is proven to hold a lot more HP reliably over 350whp. If you want to go above that in an STi, you'll have to drop an arm and a leg.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eevoo
If you do want a car that handles, pick up a few car magazines and read their evo/sti comparisons, they all say the exact same thing.
Evo wins, evo wins, evo wins but looks ugly, Evo wins and looks awesome, those are teh ones i've read
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:51 PM

Talking

Yes, I'm leaning towards the evo just do to the fact its much cheaper. But all this rave about the 05's makes me wonder. I heard there is much less lag and alot of bottom end torque. Maybe i should buy a new RS