Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

will sound deadening help with the exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a change in muffler help? I have been thinking about this with my 5Zigen catback, since my wife think it is rather loud. I do not really notice but she apparently does
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by netmand
negative... unless you've willing to put a lot of time and money into it. A few sheets of dyna-mat will only make a minimal difference.

The deal is in the fact you said "deep sound". These deep sounds is low frequency waves which travel through just about everything. You'll need some serious undercoating as well as carefully researched material deadening points.

I'd just dyna-mat the car like you want to put a good stereo in it. You'll still hear the exhaust but it won't be so bad.
But why go through the trouble of buying an aftermarket exhaust then weighing the car down with sound deadening material which you also have to buy? It would totaly negate the whopping 5-10hp (at best) power gain you got from that muffler. Just put the stock one back on.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mayhem
But why go through the trouble of buying an aftermarket exhaust then weighing the car down with sound deadening material which you also have to buy? It would totaly negate the whopping 5-10hp (at best) power gain you got from that muffler. Just put the stock one back on.
Because the stock muffler alone weighs a lot more than Dynamat AND restricts airflow. It is a double whammy.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the stock cat and dp. Over here the sound deadening material they use is not that expensive and labor is cheap also. Gonna see what the shop quotes me. I think it also helps the car feel more solid and not as hallow. BTW going back to stock exhaust is not an option
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Hey man, it doesn't weight that much. I weigh 190 pounds. A lot of guys have 50 lbs on me. Besides, 100 lbs will slow you down about .1 second in the 1/4 mile and 50 lbs. will slow you maybe .05. Better driving can easily make that up. Also, all the weight is low in the car so maybe you will effectively lower your center of gravity if handling is your thing! I wouldn't worry about 50 lbs. Your comfort and your passengers comfort is worth more. Now, I am not saying trade it in for a Lexus by any means. I mean, it IS an Evo you know....
.1 in the 1/4 mile. About 1 second around a road course in which you're normally doing 90-second laps.

But that's just me. I didn't buy an MR for comfort. If they had made an MR RS, I'd be driving it.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
.1 in the 1/4 mile. About 1 second around a road course in which you're normally doing 90-second laps.

But that's just me. I didn't buy an MR for comfort. If they had made an MR RS, I'd be driving it.
1. You don't need 100 lbs of sound deadening. That's a ridiculous amount so doing this would not affect you even .5 or even .3 on a road track

2. It is WAY easier to make up serious time on a road track than in drag racing. I grew up in race karts and the difference in once corner can make a difference in a race. HOW many corners are there in an avg track? In a 10-12 second drag race one shift can cost you the race. Hell, not even a shift. A half shift! The overall performance difference is negligible if you are looking for a little more comfort. It's all a compromise man. You know that, I do, and everyone does. Ever heard this?

You can only pick two of these three options:

Fast | Cheap | Reliable/Comfortable
Old Jan 8, 2005, 02:36 AM
Evolved Member

^
Depends where you run. Watkins Glen's long configuration has 19 radii. I used to run an S2000 out there more often than I could care to mention. When a friend came along for a lap (6'2", 180lbs), I could kiss 2 seconds per lap goodbye. If you worked out the inconsistencies between my laps (usually was a few tenths difference), it was usually about 1.5 - 1.7 seconds.

UPDATE: Those were short course runs, not long course runs. Same difference too. Might've been close to 2.5-3.0 seconds difference with a passenger if I had to go the other 1.1 miles.

Last edited by MisterSpoot; Jan 8, 2005 at 03:03 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

^
Depends where you run. Watkins Glen's long configuration has 19 radii. I used to run an S2000 out there more often than I could care to mention. When a friend came along for a lap (6'2", 180lbs), I could kiss 2 seconds per lap goodbye. If you worked out the inconsistencies between my laps (usually was a few tenths difference), it was usually about 1.5 - 1.7 seconds.

UPDATE: Those were short course runs, not long course runs. Same difference too. Might've been close to 2.5-3.0 seconds difference with a passenger if I had to go the other 1.1 miles.
When you friend came along for a lap your weight distribution was all f'd up too. When you drive at the limit, 180 bucks at the side of your car that isn't normally there will throw you so you weren't driving as well or taking/holding the same lines. With practice, you could catch up to your normal times or at least get very close.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Obviously, and it does affect the acceleration of the vehicle as well. Keep in mind a track like the Glen has considerable elevation changes as well.

Why do you think a fair number of racing leagues not only impose a minimum weight, but in some points systems, add ballast to high ranking vehicles? Why are lap times usually improved as their fuel tanks slowly empty? Heck, go dig up lap times for your favorite Formula 1 racer and compare them to just post-pit, to pre-next pit.

Trust me, weight kills.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Obviously, and it does affect the acceleration of the vehicle as well. Keep in mind a track like the Glen has considerable elevation changes as well.

Why do you think a fair number of racing leagues not only impose a minimum weight, but in some points systems, add ballast to high ranking vehicles? Why are lap times usually improved as their fuel tanks slowly empty? Heck, go dig up lap times for your favorite Formula 1 racer and compare them to just post-pit, to pre-next pit.

Trust me, weight kills.
Hey man, you're preaching to the choir. You keep missing my point. Weight kills, but if you are unhappy with your car (and we are talking about STREET cars for 99.9999% of us here) then weight doesn't kill ENOUGH to warrant remaining unhappy. All I am arguing is that it is a good tradeoff. These are not high ranking race cars. LOL!
Old Jan 8, 2005, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

You will probably need to sell that exhaust and buy the AVO. The AVO is the only quiet exhaust system on the market.
Old Jul 24, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Y'all miss the point. We want TBE and we want quiet rides - or quietER rides ... quit threadjacking - anyone have real success in quieting their exhaust? It seems the Fatmat product has the largest potential along w/dynamat ...

Anyone?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Other that dynomat/fat mat etc I have no other options for ya.

Try filling the trunk with cotton *****: lightweight and very good at restricting sound... LOL

As someone mentioned before, the deep bass tones of my stock exhauts rattle the **** out of everything, I can only image what an aftermarket does. I found if i keep it above 2k rpm under load, the mega-deep resonation is gone.

I'd check google for some sites on sound resonation, learn the theory on it. You could layer your car woth various-mat products, but being the dork I am, I'd try to find a way to avoid the sound frequency alltogether.
Considerint the trunk is a big resonation chamber, maybe partitioning it would help. Use some think cardboard etc to create chambers/baffles..

Hell, I dunno, just throwing stuff out there for ya....
Old Jul 25, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to try to install a bullet resonator just before the rear axle. Hopefully it won't kill too much horsepower and will quell the droning I sometimes get on the highway with my Buschur TBE.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put Dynamat in my entire trunk, top and bottom, front and back. I just have a regular lancer, but its really frickin loud. I have a Injen SRI, RRM header, test pipe, and magnaflow catback. As far as I can tell, its still soooo loud inside the car, even when I have all the windows up and music on, lol. I just took a road trip, about 430 miles 1 way. When I got to my destination, it felt like I lost hearing. Its the same feeling when you are at a rock concert and you step outside afterwards. If you are going on a long drive, maybe try those little roll-up ear plugs you stick in your ears. I don't think that sound deadener will help with anything beyond a basic exhaust upgrade. It just weighs down the car and cuts down on rattles from bass when the speakers/subs hit. It might reduce a little bit of road noise, but not much at all. =/

Quick Reply: will sound deadening help with the exhaust noise?