Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

will sound deadening help with the exhaust noise?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will sound deadening help with the exhaust noise?

Im thinking of putting some sound deadening in the trunk and rear of the car to help with the exhaust sound. It sounds fine from the outside but from the inside the deep sound and vibration is too loud. If you have done this with your Evo let me know if it helped.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of exhaust do you have to be so loud?

Not sure if it would help any, but I wouldn't do it. Just adds more weight to the car. It might help with the vibration.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
maybe your exhaust is leaking or touching the trunk (vibration).
Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
maybe your exhaust is leaking or touching the trunk (vibration).
Its not that kind of vibration when the exhaust is loose. It feels like when inside the car it echos and feels like your in a cave BTW Greddy Ti catback exhaust with K&N drop in filter
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

i have used a sound deadner for a sub setup in a honda of mine. it went under the spare, and on the top of the bottom of the trunck lid. i bet it would work for you, and maybe weighed 40 lbs or so. i got it pre cut at a local steroe shop, stipped the wax paper off of the back to the adhesive, and then i put it on. cost ma about 80 bucks, and a couple of hours.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

yes, it will help my little brother put some on his 2.5rs subby that has a stupid loud header back exhaust and it made a world or differance. I have seen it done on alot of other cars aswell so, yea it will help to lower the sound.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

i put some fatmat (cheap dynamat) in the trunk area over the exhaust & in the spare wheel well. without ever mentioning it to them, two of my friends commented how my exhaust was quieter
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just added a good 50 lbs to my car by using Fatmat in the trunk and the complete interior including the front doors. I removed EVERYTHING. Seats, carpet, console, etc. came out and I deadened the crap out of it. My stereo sounds better and you can't hear my exhaust at all unless I get into the the throttle. I like it. If I want to get back to stock weight I can always remove the spare and trunk trim.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:22 AM

Wait a minute, if it is the Greddy Ti, forget about sound deadening. That thing is loud and because of the thin-walled construction of the exhuast, the sound is almost everywhere around the car. Good luck,
Old Jan 7, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

or you could just do a complete thermal wrap on the whole turbo back piping!!!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Wait a minute, if it is the Greddy Ti, forget about sound deadening. That thing is loud and because of the thin-walled construction of the exhuast, the sound is almost everywhere around the car. Good luck,
I agree but most of it is coming from the rear end and noticable on the right hand side. I didnt know sound deadening would weight so much.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Seems like the logical solution would be to put your stock muffler back on and sell the aftermarket.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
I agree but most of it is coming from the rear end and noticable on the right hand side. I didnt know sound deadening would weight so much.
Hey man, it doesn't weight that much. I weigh 190 pounds. A lot of guys have 50 lbs on me. Besides, 100 lbs will slow you down about .1 second in the 1/4 mile and 50 lbs. will slow you maybe .05. Better driving can easily make that up. Also, all the weight is low in the car so maybe you will effectively lower your center of gravity if handling is your thing! I wouldn't worry about 50 lbs. Your comfort and your passengers comfort is worth more. Now, I am not saying trade it in for a Lexus by any means. I mean, it IS an Evo you know....
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Derek888
Im thinking of putting some sound deadening in the trunk and rear of the car to help with the exhaust sound. It sounds fine from the outside but from the inside the deep sound and vibration is too loud. If you have done this with your Evo let me know if it helped.
negative... unless you've willing to put a lot of time and money into it. A few sheets of dyna-mat will only make a minimal difference.

The deal is in the fact you said "deep sound". These deep sounds is low frequency waves which travel through just about everything. You'll need some serious undercoating as well as carefully researched material deadening points.

I'd just dyna-mat the car like you want to put a good stereo in it. You'll still hear the exhaust but it won't be so bad.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Just give it a week or two and maybe you will get used to it. I have an RS which has no sound insulation whatsoever and I don't mind it at all. But I guess everyone has a different tolerance level. Are you using the stock DP and cat?

Quick Reply: will sound deadening help with the exhaust noise?